The Student Room Group

Are these first semester law grades bad?

I just finished my first semester and about to go into my second semester of my first year, I'm not sure if these are normal grades to receive for a first semester but these are what I received

Criminal: 61
Public: 60
English legal system: 63
Contract: 57

Are these grades bad? What should I do to improve and do better on my second semester?any advice or tips would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I just finished my first semester and about to go into my second semester of my first year, I'm not sure if these are normal grades to receive for a first semester but these are what I received

Are these grades bad? What should I do to improve and do better on my second semester?any advice or tips would be much appreciated :smile:

Those are neither good nor bad - they are hovering around the 2:2 vs. 2:1 boundary. So if you're aiming for a 2:1 (or above) then you might need to follow whatever feedback you've been provided with so far. If a 2:2 is fine, then so are these marks.

(Note that that in the majority of cases, you first year marks don't contribute to your final degree classification anyway.)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

Congratulations on these grades! It's all relative to your goals but I would say that these grades are a very good start! If you wan to improve, I'd suggest going through your feedback to ask what can be done better, potentially booking an appointment with your module leader or tutor to go through this.

All the best,
Jaz -Cardiff Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there

I think your grades are quite good considering they are your first essays completed at University, congratulations. It is a really good starting point to have, and with practice, there is a lot of room for improvement.

To improve, firstly look at the feedback you are given on your previous essays, this will form the basis of what you need to build on. (However, feedback can be quite varied, depending on the marker, and it can be quite helpful to reach out to your seminar leaders for more specific advice, to go over your essay and identify what you can do better).

Another way of improving would be comparing your essay to those that got a first. (I believe you are able to find different module's essays online, some written by Oxbridge students). Having a look at how different students write and analyse can help you to identify weaknesses in your writing style.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending