The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or pharmacology

Hello all,
I am currently in year 12 studying bio chem and history, i’m terribly conflicted between studying pharmacy or pharmacology at uni because pharmacy feels safer and more secure for the future but pharmacology modules sound so much more interesting and my end goal is to get into the research industry. Any advice is welcome :smile:
Original post by good.egg
Hello all,
I am currently in year 12 studying bio chem and history, i’m terribly conflicted between studying pharmacy or pharmacology at uni because pharmacy feels safer and more secure for the future but pharmacology modules sound so much more interesting and my end goal is to get into the research industry. Any advice is welcome :smile:

MPharm is good for a career as a clinical pharmacist.

Pharmacology is more suited for a career in research, however usually with these degrees you will need to get an MSc, and if necessary, a PhD on a specific focus.

MPharm is more clinical based, Pharmacology is pure science
Reply 2
Original post by abcstudentonline
MPharm is good for a career as a clinical pharmacist.

Pharmacology is more suited for a career in research, however usually with these degrees you will need to get an MSc, and if necessary, a PhD on a specific focus.

MPharm is more clinical based, Pharmacology is pure science

Can you do an MPharm degree but then persue a PhD and a career in research? This does sound silly but I feel like doing a pharmacology degree is a bit risky as it completely cuts out the clinical side of things incase i change my mind.
Original post by good.egg
Can you do an MPharm degree but then persue a PhD and a career in research? This does sound silly but I feel like doing a pharmacology degree is a bit risky as it completely cuts out the clinical side of things incase i change my mind.

You can with the MPharm degree, but you will need to do an MSc in a particular field first then a PhD

Quick Reply

Latest