The Student Room Group

Irrelevant extracurriculars in personal statement?

I'm planning to apply to St. Andrews, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, and Lancaster. I was wondering whether or not to include a few lines of extracurriculars in my personal statement, since St. Andrews for example seems to care more about what you've done in relation to the course you're actually applying for. I can try to make the activities relevant based on the skills I acquired from them, but I'm wondering if it'll be a waste of characters. Thanks!
It'll be a waste of space.

There are very, very few unis that care about unrelated x-currics, and those that do should spell it out in the guidance on their websites.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
It'll be a waste of space.

There are very, very few unis that care about unrelated x-currics, and those that do should spell it out in the guidance on their websites.

Thank you! In that case, would I gain an advantage at all by asking my teacher to mention my unrelated extracurriculars in the reference, or will it not have much of an impact?
Original post by amogsussy
Thank you! In that case, would I gain an advantage at all by asking my teacher to mention my unrelated extracurriculars in the reference, or will it not have much of an impact?

It's much better that they mention them than you. The referee is unlikely to reach their character limit so if you have other bits to list, ask them to include them.

For most unis it won't make any difference, but the benefit will be having more space in your PS to keep it relevant to your suitability and motivation for that specific subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending