The Student Room Group

Extracurriculars for uni

How can I turn hobbies like arts and craft into an extracurricular I can talk about in my ps without making it seem like I’m lying, because there’s no evidence they’ll see..

Also, I did sports in yr9 for dofe which cancelled because of Covid, does it seem too irrelevant to include it in my ps because of the time gap?

My school (sixth form, not hs) is quite small I can barely think of any clubs (there are quite a few but they’re 99% high schoolers and barely any sixth formers). It feels very odd to participate in activities they’re in, especially like a sports and my parents don’t have enough finance to enrol me into sports/instrumental lessons outside school.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Skittles_beans
How can I turn hobbies like arts and craft into an extracurricular I can talk about in my ps without making it seem like I’m lying, because there’s no evidence they’ll see..

Also, I did sports in yr9 for dofe which cancelled because of Covid, does it seem too irrelevant to include it in my ps because of the time gap?

Hello,

Nothing is irrelevant in your statement if it directly relates to the course you're applying for. You don't need to turn those into extracurriculars through lying, just talk about your hobbies naturally and your statement will look more authentic.

I didn't do any extracurriculars when I was in sixth form and I was accepted into Lancaster just for being myself. Don't worry too much about every small thing your school wants you to put in your statement. The university wants to see what you are like, what you want to do/have done with the course you want to do and what makes you as a person unique.

Extracurriculars are handy but not mandatory and you shouldn't sacrifice your hobbies by lying that they're extracurricular. Hobbies are just as important as extracurricular in pitching yourself as a unique person to the university amongst hundred/thousands of other statements!

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

Nothing is irrelevant in your statement if it directly relates to the course you're applying for. You don't need to turn those into extracurriculars through lying, just talk about your hobbies naturally and your statement will look more authentic.

I didn't do any extracurriculars when I was in sixth form and I was accepted into Lancaster just for being myself. Don't worry too much about every small thing your school wants you to put in your statement. The university wants to see what you are like, what you want to do/have done with the course you want to do and what makes you as a person unique.

Extracurriculars are handy but not mandatory and you shouldn't sacrifice your hobbies by lying that they're extracurricular. Hobbies are just as important as extracurricular in pitching yourself as a unique person to the university amongst hundred/thousands of other statements!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi,

I thought hobbies could be extracurriculars, I’m guessing extracurriculars are more like clubs? And thank you for the advice, do you think little extracurriculars is enough for a russel group in London like Kcl?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending