The Student Room Group

how competitive are foundation year pharmacy courses

hi, most of my courses that i applied to are foundation courses in pharmacy. University of Manchester, De Montfort and Kingston university all of which i just about meet the required predicted grades or slightly above. What are the chances of getting offers from any of these.

thanks
Reply 1
No-one can tell you for certain, but as long as you have spread your choices over a range of grade requirements you will probably be okay. Try not to worry.
Reply 2
Whilst foundation courses have their place I think it is fair to say that Universities have dramatically expanded the numbers as they identified them primarily as an additional revenue stream. Universities are a business. They are there to sell.

Personally I would almost always advise to resit A levels to obtain entry to a particular course.

Resitting is a LOT cheaper. You really must sit down and calculate the all the costs for that extra year. Especially look accommodation costs which have risen considerably over the last few years. Pharmacy is a 4 year course and if you add on a additional foundation year you are looking at graduating with a huge debt that will need to be repaid.

Resitting will give you greater choice of where (and what) to study as a foundation year is usually not transferable between Universities.

Good luck.
Original post by Sarah H.
Whilst foundation courses have their place I think it is fair to say that Universities have dramatically expanded the numbers as they identified them primarily as an additional revenue stream. Universities are a business. They are there to sell.

Personally I would almost always advise to resit A levels to obtain entry to a particular course.

Resitting is a LOT cheaper. You really must sit down and calculate the all the costs for that extra year. Especially look accommodation costs which have risen considerably over the last few years. Pharmacy is a 4 year course and if you add on a additional foundation year you are looking at graduating with a huge debt that will need to be repaid.

Resitting will give you greater choice of where (and what) to study as a foundation year is usually not transferable between Universities.

Good luck.

I just want to build on this- different unis will teach differently but you really have to have your A level bio and chem nailed before starting pharmacy because a lot of concepts crop up again. Hence it would make more sense to resit. However, it is worth noting that there’s a growing demand for pharmacists so universities are increasing their intake to meet the demand- this could potentially work in your favour. Just keep working hard and don’t lose hope!
Reply 4
Original post by Sarah H.

Good luck.

Pharmacy student numbers are capped by the GPhC - individual Unis have no control over this.

I would echo the suggestion to always retake A levels rather than so a Foundation.
The whole point about Foundations is to tie you to that Unis - and only that Uni.
Retaking A levels would give you 5 UCAS options, and less debt.
Original post by _haych06
hi, most of my courses that i applied to are foundation courses in pharmacy. University of Manchester, De Montfort and Kingston university all of which i just about meet the required predicted grades or slightly above. What are the chances of getting offers from any of these.

thanks

Hi @_haych06

It's great that you are considering studying at Kingston! I think if you meet the requirements you are in for a chance. There are usually also interviews for Pharmacy courses that are taken into consideration alongside grades. And so if you get an interview think of it as another way to boost your application, you can practice answering potential questions before hand so your really confident when going into the interview. Also this is an opportunity for you to get a feel for the university in your interview and ask any questions you may have so you can really be sure on the course and the uni.

Good Luck! Any more questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
-Grace (Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending