The Student Room Group

Advice on being a mum, working & access course!

I’ve recently applied for an access course in health professions.
I have an 18 month old & i work part time!
I could never get my head around studying from leaving school but i’ve always wanted to do midwifery & now feels like the right time.
I keep talking myself out of it thinking it will be too much i know it will be hard but if i don’t do it now i never will.
Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Reply 1
Just be aware that Midwifery involves long hours, and night shifts, even during training.
Make sure you have water-tight childcare set up, and you have thought about the reality of this degree.
Reply 2
Original post by lucyb24
I’ve recently applied for an access course in health professions.
I have an 18 month old & i work part time!
I could never get my head around studying from leaving school but i’ve always wanted to do midwifery & now feels like the right time.
I keep talking myself out of it thinking it will be too much i know it will be hard but if i don’t do it now i never will.
Is anyone else in a similar situation?

To be honest u won't suffer at all with the access course. I have an 18 months old, and im only doing 1 day a week. That's all about to change with my uni this year. I know i need to have a good childcare provider as i will be doing placements and long hours. I will also need my family to help out with my night shifts and weekends.. u should think about that...
Reply 3
Original post by Shima89

To be honest u won't suffer at all with the access course. I have an 18 months old, and im only doing 1 day a week. That's all about to change with my uni this year. I know i need to have a good childcare provider as i will be doing placements and long hours. I will also need my family to help out with my night shifts and weekends.. u should think about that...

thankyou! i’m not saying it’s going to be easy at all but id just like abit of encouragement & we’ve got a good family unit to help us. My partners also self employed so he can work kind of his own hours.
I just hope it will be affordable!
Reply 4
Original post by lucyb24

thankyou! i’m not saying it’s going to be easy at all but id just like abit of encouragement & we’ve got a good family unit to help us. My partners also self employed so he can work kind of his own hours.
I just hope it will be affordable!

If u have a good family unit, then you are sorted. U will eventually have childcare in place, although u will need a backup plan in case of those long weekend or night shifts. Thats all really. Goodluck! Hope u do well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending