The Student Room Group

My experience as a student ambassador

Hey, I'm Maleehah and I study LLB Law. I've been a Student Ambassador for two years now, so I thought I'd share my fave things about being an ambassador and why you should consider being one. 🙌

Being an ambassador
As a Student Ambassador, I have had the opportunity to partake in different events and outreach programmes across schools and colleges. The first-ever event I did was an online webinar for prospective students, telling them about my student experience at university.

I have done some college fairs with members of the Outreach and Recruitment Team for 16 to 18-year-old students on degree options they can consider. I have also done several Open Days on campus where I shared insight into my course and my student experience with applicants.

Being an ambassador, I have also done campus tours and subject talk tours taking groups of students across campus to show them what we have to offer here.

A large part of my role as a Student Ambassador involves communicating with potential applicants and students in schools and colleges. I explain why they should consider their options if they're interested in studying Law. I also give them information on extra-curricular activities, part-time jobs, joining the Students' Union and what they can get from the Career and Employability Services at the University.

I love talking to students and getting across that university is so much more than obtaining a degree. It is about utilising the Career and Employability Services and the Students' Union to help them gain soft skills and experience that they can use on their CV for employers.

Benefits of being an ambassador
The main benefit of being a Student Ambassador is that you get paid for your work and you also gain transferrable skills that you can take to any job. Earning whilst you study is great for your independence, and for those who are living away from home, it can be handy.

In my experience, you can gain confidence, and improve your public speaking skills and verbal communication. I was someone who learned these skills over time.

I learned about the different types of outreach events the ambassador team does. They have given me a variety of opportunities from career fairs, to clearing, open days, webinars, and subject talks.

Improve your soft skills
Social interaction and people skills are something I have developed over time by speaking to people who were in my shoes when I was 16 to 18 years old. I can understand the application process and the first-year induction process as I went through this myself. This gave me enough to talk about to prospective students.

When working in a team, I have been able to use my experience when supporting colleagues in careers fairs and rotating shifts with other Student Ambassadors. I think being a reliable and keen team player makes you stand out in common job skill requirements.

Why be an ambassador?
I highly recommend you become a Student Ambassador so you can earn whilst you study and gain experience. It's great if you need something to add to your CV, and it's a good role to take on to develop employability skills.

Being an ambassador will make you stand out in the job market and make your student experience more interesting. Making the most of your time at university is all in the extracurricular activities that ambassador positions offer.

The Outreach and Recruitment team are friendly, accommodating, and supportive in the induction processes and event support. You'll be given training before events in the form of briefs. And on the day, staff will make sure you understand your role for the events. You can be an exemplary role model for the university.

ESQ4zi9XUAACH4W.jpg

Are you interested in becoming a student ambassador? Or if you already are one, what are your fave things about it? :smile:
Reply 1
It sounds as though you have really got involved and made a difference and I commend this. These roles can be really very good for developing a bit of character as well as those all important 'soft skills' that employed like to go on about. A lot of places have these as voluntary positions, which speaks to one's character I think. If you can get paid, there's a proper incentive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending