The Student Room Group

student ambassador at uni

I ve got my interview tmrw: do you have any suggestions on how to pass it?😭😭
Hiya Anon,

Many congrats on securing your ambassador interview! I am a recent Bath graduate and for the whole of my 4-year degree I was also a student ambassador - and I must say even though I loved my course being ambassador was definitely a huge highlight :smile:

Here are my thoughts on things you might want to think about for the interview:

Be authentic - Although ambassadors are there to represent the university and their department, you are also representing students, and more specifically, you :smile: - sharing your personal experience and what you genuinely think and love about your course, your uni and student life will be a key part of your ambassador role, so although a little cliched, just be your authentic self and try not to feel pressured to showcase a personality which does not suit you.

Be friendly - This one goes without saying! Ambassadors who are unfriendly and/or grumpy don't show the university in the best light! So do your best to smile, be a little lighthearted when appropriate, and chatty.

Be confident - This is a tough one if you are an introverted person - but if you put yourself in the shoes of people coming to visit your uni, a quirky, bubbly ambassador is greatly reassuring and welcoming - and the team interviewing you know that too! Try to have a good posture, good voice projection, look the interviewers in the eye. And if you are not a naturally confident person, this is okay :smile: - fake it for now, but as you do more and more events as an ambassador your confidence will grow and it will get easier every time.

You have to know everything! Its good to have as much knowledge as you can about your university and what's on offer, but this doesn't mean you have to know everything! If you don't know the answer to anything you're asked or you don't have personal experience of something, then its always better to just say so, but try to point people in the right direction or find out for them.

Be enthusiastic about your course and your University - at the end of the day, ambassadors are the faces and voices of any University and are here to represent them, so its important that show that you are proud to be part of yours uni and to be a student there - its also great if you can be enthusiastic about your course, and any other extra-curriculars you are involved in. Do you have favourite modules? Are you part of any societies? Enthusiasm is contagious!

Very best of luck tomorrow - please let us know on here how you did if you are happy to!

Holly
University of Bath
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath
Hiya Anon,

Many congrats on securing your ambassador interview! I am a recent Bath graduate and for the whole of my 4-year degree I was also a student ambassador - and I must say even though I loved my course being ambassador was definitely a huge highlight :smile:

Here are my thoughts on things you might want to think about for the interview:

Be authentic - Although ambassadors are there to represent the university and their department, you are also representing students, and more specifically, you :smile: - sharing your personal experience and what you genuinely think and love about your course, your uni and student life will be a key part of your ambassador role, so although a little cliched, just be your authentic self and try not to feel pressured to showcase a personality which does not suit you.

Be friendly - This one goes without saying! Ambassadors who are unfriendly and/or grumpy don't show the university in the best light! So do your best to smile, be a little lighthearted when appropriate, and chatty.

Be confident - This is a tough one if you are an introverted person - but if you put yourself in the shoes of people coming to visit your uni, a quirky, bubbly ambassador is greatly reassuring and welcoming - and the team interviewing you know that too! Try to have a good posture, good voice projection, look the interviewers in the eye. And if you are not a naturally confident person, this is okay :smile: - fake it for now, but as you do more and more events as an ambassador your confidence will grow and it will get easier every time.

You have to know everything! Its good to have as much knowledge as you can about your university and what's on offer, but this doesn't mean you have to know everything! If you don't know the answer to anything you're asked or you don't have personal experience of something, then its always better to just say so, but try to point people in the right direction or find out for them.

Be enthusiastic about your course and your University - at the end of the day, ambassadors are the faces and voices of any University and are here to represent them, so its important that show that you are proud to be part of yours uni and to be a student there - its also great if you can be enthusiastic about your course, and any other extra-curriculars you are involved in. Do you have favourite modules? Are you part of any societies? Enthusiasm is contagious!

Very best of luck tomorrow - please let us know on here how you did if you are happy to!

Holly
University of Bath

Thanks Holly I will take all these in consideration! I have one silly question if you don't mind me asking😅...
How am I supposed to answer to "describe yourself". I know what to say, things like being multilingual, doing volunteering and studying- therefore I am being organised and etc.. but as this is my first interview, how am i supposed to start the sentence?
Original post by Anonymous

Hey there!

The best advice I can give is, like others have said, to be yourself as cheesy as that sounds. They want to know you can respond to people with a bubbly personality and that you're able to carry on conversations and ask/answer questions so as long as you're able to prove to them you can do that, you should have no problems. All you have to do is pretty much prove you have an approachable personality and they may ask you how you'd respond to things in certain situations.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi :h: best of luck for the interview! The fact you've even asked for advice shows you're enthusiastic and care about the role - so I'd say that's already something for you to be confident about. In the interview, I'd try and make sure you get across how you show you can relate to prospective students and sing your praises about your uni and what it has to offer. I'm sure you'll do amazing!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Hi!

I joined Heriot-Watt's student ambassador program last year, so I've been there. While it is a little scary please don't worry, in my experience they are a lot more casual then job interviews elsewhere. Normally all they want to know is what you love about your university and also get a glimpse at your personality to see if you're a right fit for the role.

Normally a right fit would be someone who is a problem solver, confident, friendly and excited to get involved but just be yourself and I'm sure you'll do great! I'd maybe think up some times that you've really enjoyed in university so far and also reasons to why you want to be a student ambassador.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

I wish you luck for your interview and I hope you get it! Honestly, being on my universities student ambassador team has been one of my best university experiences so far!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi there, :smile:

Just checking in to see how your student ambassador interview went?

When it comes to preparing for these types of interviews it's important to let your personality shine through. As this role will heavily involve meeting and talking to current and potential students, it's important you are approachable and confident in your interview, these are the qualities they will be looking for. Come to the interview with some questions as this will show you are very eager about the role and allows you to get a feel of what you will be doing so you can decide if it's right for you.

Mostly importantly enjoy the interview, this is your time to show why you want to be a student ambassador and how you will represent the university.

Wishing you all the best! :smile:
Sarah
Reply 7
Hii, I wanted to let you know guys that I ve passed my interview and i am officially a student ambassador!!
thanks everyone for your help!!
Now, I would like to know how was your first day experience as a one. How did u felt about when you had to do your first campus tour? Did you felt lost? I am fine with every other tasks but this one make me nervous!! I need to make other people at ease but can't do it while i am being nervous...
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hii, I wanted to let you know guys that I ve passed my interview and i am officially a student ambassador!!
Now, I would like to know how was your first day experience as a one. How did u felt about when you had to do your first campus tour? Did you felt lost? I am fine with every other tasks but this one make me nervous!! I need to make other people at ease but can't do it while i am being nervous...

Hiya!

First of all congratulations I hope you enjoy your time being a Student Ambassador as I have also. My first shift was just over a year ago and it was for telemarketing I was quite nervous about making calls and I was self-conscious being in a room with other experienced Student Ambassadors but instead of overthinking I just asked the person next to me for help and listened to how they make calls and well after nearly having a telemarketing shift every week for over a year it is far by natural to me now and I am more than confident in making my calls for the shift. So don’t be afraid to ask for help everyone is lovely and supportive, and I am sure they will be happy to help if needed. Same again for campus tours I was a little bit nervous but after showing the first building it felt natural, it also helped that the prospective students I was showing around were incredibly friendly and interested in the tour; asking plenty of questions which helped with the flow of the conversation. I never felt lost as before my shift I walked around DMU campus to familiarise myself with a set route and buildings which I don’t tend to go as they are not related to my course. Also for Student Ambassadors at DMU we get provided a sort of guide on how to do a Campus Tour which was incredibly helpful which I will still read now and then if I think I have forgotten any information. Perhaps you can ask if something like this exists, a sort of guide or if you can do a campus tour with an experienced Student Ambassador and listen to how they do campus tours. In addition, research your university and find out a few facts about the campus or the buildings you are not familiar with this will definitely help! Try not to worry and stress yourself out I am sure after doing a few more tours you will feel more comfortable with delivering them– I am sure you are doing an amazing job so far!

Keep us updated,
-Maddie, second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

The first campus tour is scary and I was insanely nervous but once you've done it once you'll be absolutely fine. It's important to remember that only you will know if you've messed something up and you're not being graded on it. The people you'll be showing around will be nervous themselves and really just want to get a feeling for the university. While if you can remember some facts about the university they're good to add, I find that most people want to know more about your experience and how you feel about the university.

In my mind doing a campus tour is a little like improv. you use 'yes and' a lot 🙂 . If anyone has any questions that you don't know that's fine and happens to me all the time (I've been doing the tours for about a year now), I normally just say that it's a great question and I'll ask the relevant person and get back to them. There may be some awkward silences on your first couple of tours as you get the pacing down but just embrace it! You'll get better as you go and if you want to fill some silence ask the people you're giving a tour to questions - and if they're very nervous and don't want to answer feel free to answer the question yourself.

I hope this helps a little. You're going to be great! And if you have any more questions please feel free to ask - I tried to cover all the scenarios that tend to happen frequently but I may have missed something.🙂

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi,

Firstly congratulations! I really hope you enjoy your role and have fun while earning money. I was really nervous for my first day but I didn't need to be as everyone was so nice and welcoming. We had an introduction session where we met each other and saw what roles we would be doing so if you have something like this then it's a really nice way of meeting the team, but if you don't then don't worry as you will have lots of opportunities to meet everybody.

With the campus tour, try not to worry too much as it does come quite naturally (I didn't think it would but it did). I think this is down to the fact that you will know quite a few buildings already and probably know your way around fairly well so don't worry. You should also be given information and potentially a map showing you exactly where to go so it's not just down to you to think of where to go, it's all given to you. My main advice would be confident and friendly and ask people questions as you go along as this helps everyone to relax and it not to be awkward. At Hallam we get given a practice campus tour so we roughly know what we might be doing so if your uni does something like this then be sure to go along as it is really useful. We also get given facts that we can say as we go along so you don't have to think of everything to say as quite a lot of it is provided for you so don't worry about thinking of what to say.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Lucy- SHU student ambassador

Hi, Congratulations on passing your interview, that's terrific! My first day as a student ambassador just over 3 years ago was definitely nerve-racking but everyone is so friendly and supportive. The first campus tour was daunting but things that really helped were going through the guide my university sent me of how to conduct a campus tour with information on each area of campus. I also found it useful to research key facts and interesting things about the university and campus that I could share with prospective students. One of the main things to remember is that you're an expert on your university: the buildings, the people and the society events and people wanna know about your experiences and memories and insights into the university. When I'm giving campus tours, I like to share insights on what my lectures and seminars are like, my favourite places to study at uni and my experience of society events. Have fun with it and ask questions to the incoming students and their friends/family about the course they want to study at uni, what they know already and what they're looking forward to. Hope this helps!

Zainab
SOAS, Arabic & IR

Hi there,

Congratulations on the interview! Being a student ambassador can be a really insightful and rewarding experience. I agree with many of the above that says you should be authentic and confident. You should be prepared to answer questions honestly and positively about the university and your experience. Do your research so that you can help people in areas that you may have not previously come across. Just remember that you're there to help people and that should be your first aim.

Good luck for your interview,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Hello,

Congratulations on passing your interview!

Working as a student ambassador is one of my favourite activities as a student, it is a great opportunity to make friends, earn some money on the side, and it looks great on your CV.

A campus tour can be scary I agree, because you are often on your own and there can be a lot of places to see. My advice would be to first introduce yourself, your course ,and then ask the prospective student what course they want to study, where they would like to go on this campus tour, and if they would like any local recommendations.

Try to make conversation as you go if it comes naturally, as often the student themselves are also quite anxious but excited. Finally, if you feel like you need extra guidance, ask your university if it would be possible to attend a campus tour with another student ambassador to see how it's like?

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

Hello again Anon,

Apologies for the late reply here - HUGE congrats on successfully becoming an Ambassador! Trust me, if you sign up for lots of different events and programmes and just throw yourself in, I'm sure you've got so much enjoyment to look forward to (plus, good extra money and of course experience for the CV!) - FYI I knew you'd pass - the fact that you posted here to ask for advice in the first place shows you care about the role 🙂

My first day as an ambassador consisted of meeting and greeting guests who had come for a campus visit. I was in an oversized dayglow jacket holding a gigantic sign, pointing people in the right direction and answering anything they asked me about life at Bath (accommodation, difference between lectures and seminars, how many contact hours etc). It was Xmas time so I got very cold but our ambassador line managers thankfully gave us all mince pies and coffee after our shift!

In terms of campus tours, I completely understand how you feel and this is a totally normal experience to have. I have never been strong at navigation and was extremely nervous about my first campus tour. Something which helped me a lot was to ask our ambassador line managers if I could do a couple of tours first alongside a more experienced ambassador in a 2, so I could get more confident before tackling one alone. I took notes on my phone RE the route and what they mentioned as the 'key points' everywhere we went. I also found it helpful to watch a video walkthrough tour on my university's webpage to take note of the key locations and taglines, and also take my flatmates around for a 'campus tour' a couple of days before my first one to get their feedback.

Once you've got the route and the info sorted, it gets a lot easier the more you do 🙂 - just remember as always to be yourself, don't expect yourself to know all the answers, and try to imagine what you'd want to hear from an ambassador in your tour group's shoes.

If you've already done your tour please let us know how it went! If not, rest assured I'm confident you will do a great job - believe in yourself!

Best wishes!

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending