The Student Room Group

Phobia of needles nurse

Hi I have a phobia of needles. Have for years and years. Even thinking about them I go all funny and when having them I sometimes black out or feel faint. My dream job has always been nursing but I’ve put it off for years and years because of this. Can anyone offer any advice please x
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by SammyNurse24
Hi I have a phobia of needles. Have for years and years. Even thinking about them I go all funny and when having them I sometimes black out or feel faint. My dream job has always been nursing but I’ve put it off for years and years because of this. Can anyone offer any advice please x

Do a different healthcare course - speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, etc.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Reply 2
It’s different putting a needle into someone compared to having one put in you (which is where a lot of the phobia comes from). I know of a few nurses who are needlephobic but are fine in practice. I’m not a fan of them (but have been a pin cushion lately due to my health).

Experience and exposure tends to do the trick.
Original post by SammyNurse24

Hi,

Speaking as a 3rd year student nurse, it really does depends on what extent your phobia runs too. If its a case that you don't mind being around needles when injecting others then it shouldn't be an issue but if you can't be around needles at all, it may pose a big issue.

Needles are a huge part of.a nurses role as they are needed to give our patients intramuscular and subcutaneous injections and also to draw up intravenous infusions for medication administration. We are around needles all the time and if you are going to feel weak every time you're around one it could be an issue in your studies and future career.

I would take some time to decide if you would be okay with being around needles before jumping onto the application process as there's no need to put yourself through that stress if practically you wouldn't be able to be around needles.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best with overcoming your phobia,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending