The Student Room Group

Struggling to Start my Marketing Career after University

I graduated with a first in Business Management and Marketing Management. I have some experience under my belt with running a social media campaign and work experience I did with my university. Furthermore, I have been improving my knowledge and skills with LinkedIn Learning. I have had a couple of interviews over the months with them not being successful and the feedback I have received has not been very informative. Usually, it is along the lines of "it was a close call" and "there isn't much we can say that was bad". The overarching factor was that I lacked experience. Now, I have worked hard for my first yet even for entry-level and graduate roles I feel so unemployable and that the degree hasn't even helped. I can't afford to do unpaid volunteering or placements and I feel even getting a part-time job is difficult because I'm "overqualified". I just feel I've been marketing myself, perfecting my CV, and improving my skills/knowledge and it still feels like I'm stuck. Any advice would be appreciated on what I could do but it might just be a waiting game.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
I've known at least a couple of people who entered large firms in different roles (admin support work, such as in human resources) and waited for an opportunity to open up in marketing. Keep going for those marketing roles but be open-minded about other things, as long as the company itself has a marketing department. Or get a job in a completely different work area so you gain employment experience, if you lack it. But, at the same time, develop your marketing skills independently, via social media (nothing contentious of course). You might be able to volunteer your skills in your spare time (eg marketing a local theatre group by helping with their publicity, posters etc). I agree that some employers might see you as 'overqualified' for certain roles, but keep trying.
Original post by NathanR21
I graduated with a first in Business Management and Marketing Management. I have some experience under my belt with running a social media campaign and work experience I did with my university. Furthermore, I have been improving my knowledge and skills with LinkedIn Learning. I have had a couple of interviews over the months with them not being successful and the feedback I have received has not been very informative. Usually, it is along the lines of "it was a close call" and "there isn't much we can say that was bad". The overarching factor was that I lacked experience. Now, I have worked hard for my first yet even for entry-level and graduate roles I feel so unemployable and that the degree hasn't even helped. I can't afford to do unpaid volunteering or placements and I feel even getting a part-time job is difficult because I'm "overqualified". I just feel I've been marketing myself, perfecting my CV, and improving my skills/knowledge and it still feels like I'm stuck. Any advice would be appreciated on what I could do but it might just be a waiting game.

Start up your own marketing agency, I have experience with doing that... it's a long arduous process, but the lessons you will learn coupled with the progress you can make makes it all the more worthwhile.
Original post by Labbvava5st
Start up your own marketing agency, I have experience with doing that... it's a long arduous process, but the lessons you will learn coupled with the progress you can make makes it all the more worthwhile.

How did you go about starting your own agency? I'm also looking to get into a marketing career after finishing uni, but like most, I don't have much experience in actual marketing work. I've been thinking about taking on freelance projects where I can to get at least some experience, but it's far and few to come by.

Hey @NathanR21

Sorry to hear you're struggling to land a job after graduating! But I agree with what Lilyanne2 said above, you can always make your way into a marketing role in a large company.

I started working as an admin assistant at Birmingham City University. I got to know the Marketing team, offered to help them out with things when I could and did online training courses and social media bits in my free time. After a year and a half a marketing position came up and I felt like I had so much more experience and that I was ready to apply.

I now work in marketing and love it! I'm really glad that I joined a company as an assistant and got to know the company before moving onto a marketing role, so that might be a good option for you to consider also.

I hope that helps,
Abbie
BCU Staff Rep

They're such competitive roles so it's great you've been told that you're a strong candidate - I'd just keep persisting!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending