The Student Room Group

Is chartered the only way to get the very best out of my Engineering career? (UK)

I have received my bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 2:2 in 2021 and I am currently working as a piping engineer.

I really want to get the best out of my engineering career and in the future, I am willing to do a masters degree alongside my work, as my job fully pay for it, up to 5 years, however I will have to complete it in my own time and want to do it in 2 years, 3 years at a push.

Furthermore, I also have kids so they will take up a lot of time, which is why I’m looking to do it a few years down the line, as well as being better prepared to start it.

Afterwards, I can complete my portfolio to then go on and become chartered.

I understand that being chartered is the ‘holy grail’ of engineering or any profession, but my question is, after all that I have previously explained, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Is there another way to progress to a very high level without making such huge sacrifices?

Is there another title (apart from incorporated, which I am aware of) that I can work towards to get the best out of my career or is chartered many levels above any other cerification? Because I am willing to do it but with full knowledge that it is ‘by far’ the highest level in any engineering career

Apologies for the lengthy read

Quick Reply

Latest