The Student Room Group

Applying for CEng (Chartered Engineer)

I have 4 years of engineering experience as an individual contributor (2 years as a project engineer and 2 years as an integrity engineer). I haven’t completed any graduate program with IMechE such as the MPDs or SRS, but I am quite confident that I hit those standards from the UK-SPEC for CEng chartered status. I also have an integrated masters MEng which is needed for CEng. My question is, assuming I talk to my company and get 2 sponsors, can I just apply for chartership straight? Let’s say with IMechE? Or do they need some sort of program as evidence of you being at CEng standard. I think I can show that in my application and from my 2 sponsors, correct me if I’m wrong please, thanks.

@Smack
Reply 1
Original post by yogurtgirl
I have 4 years of engineering experience as an individual contributor (2 years as a project engineer and 2 years as an integrity engineer). I haven’t completed any graduate program with IMechE such as the MPDs or SRS, but I am quite confident that I hit those standards from the UK-SPEC for CEng chartered status. I also have an integrated masters MEng which is needed for CEng. My question is, assuming I talk to my company and get 2 sponsors, can I just apply for chartership straight? Let’s say with IMechE? Or do they need some sort of program as evidence of you being at CEng standard. I think I can show that in my application and from my 2 sponsors, correct me if I’m wrong please, thanks.

@Smack

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer

@Smack

Yes, that's the way I did it. You don't need to be part of a specific programme - if you (and your sponsors) believe that you meet the requirements you can apply direct, using the form. The form and interview are for demonstrating that you are at the required standard, so it's definitely a good idea to work through the questions with your mentor/a sponsor so you can best answer the questions.

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer/application-guidance
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Yes, that's the way I did it. You don't need to be part of a specific programme - if you (and your sponsors) believe that you meet the requirements you can apply direct, using the form. The form and interview are for demonstrating that you are at the required standard, so it's definitely a good idea to work through the questions with your mentor/a sponsor so you can best answer the questions.

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer/application-guidance

That’s great, that’s what I also suspected but had to make sure. I am in fact just a little under 4 years of work experience, does that affect the application? I heard you need exactly 4 or more, I could be wrong

I was fortunate to start a role at mid-level individual contributor, but the first 2 years as an engineer I worked still while being at uni, I graduated a year ago, will this matter? Overall, I still have close to 4 years of experience as an engineer
Reply 4
That’s great, that’s what I also suspected but had to make sure. I am in fact just a little under 4 years of work experience, does that affect the application? I heard you need exactly 4 or more, I could be wrong

I was fortunate to start a role at mid-level individual contributor, but the first 2 years as an engineer I worked still while being at uni, I graduated a year ago, will this matter? Overall, I still have close to 4 years of experience as an engineer

I don;t think that will count as 4 years .... check on the link I provided.

@Smack

Yes,

Online the IMeche has examples of completed versions of the application form, which will show you how to describe your evidence of each competency.

If you are awarded CEng status you will be required to have IMeche membership which costs a couple hundred quid per year (although you may be able to get your company to pay this), if you don’t pay I believe you lose your chartered status which doesn’t seem fair but it’s how they operate.
Thank you for raising this, this is very interesting to read and know as will impact me too.

I do wish to add though, that I’d you apply before doing 4 years, the IMechE have been known to “humble” you and effectively grill you until you trip up and suggest you reapply with more experience. Unless there’s a rush, might be best waiting for 4.25 years (especially if you didn’t go down MPDS route)

I've heard people saying the 4 year figure for years, but I've never actually seen it written down anywhere. Anyway, the form itself is competency based, not time based, though it will take some time to develop the competencies to the required level.

This is something that your sponsors would advise on. But if they are both willing to do it, that's a pretty good indication that the work you have performed to date is of sufficient standard for chartership.

Quick Reply

Latest