The Student Room Group

Choosing second uni choice over first 1?

Hi guys,

So I got offers from both UWE Bristol and DMU in Leicester (both offers are conditional).

UWE is asking for BBC, and DMU is asking for smth like 112 UCAS points, but if i keep it as my top choice they’ll reduce the requirement to 48 ucas points (weird on DMU’s part I know but not complaining).

Anyways, I very much prefer UWE over DMU, but if i put UWE as my first choice and DMU as second it means that DMU will still want 112 points (equiv to BBC) meaning that both my choices are asking for the same requirement, which isnt ideal.

So my question is if i was to Put DMU as my top (even though I prefer UWE) can i still go with my second choice (uwe) if i put it as that and if I end up getting the grades for it ?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Always put your top, preferred choice as your Firm.
You cannot change your mind on Results Day - if your Firm acceps you, your Insurance disappears and you can't get it back.
If you put DMU as firm then you can’t choose to go to UWE without using clearing.

If DMU are desperate enough to be making “48 points if firmed” offers then they’ll be taking 48 points from insurance applicants even if the official conditions are 112.

Desperation from DMU shouldn’t make them more appealing!
Reply 3
Backing what posters above have said.Go for your first choice based on course and campus.Have you been to their offer days.If not try to get to them.The course will cost you a lot of money so you want to go and see what you are getting into.
Agreeing with others. Don't be sucked into a 'special offer' made to you at the most stressful time of A levels. Make the decision based on where you want to be in the next 3 years.
If UWE doesn't work out, I am also certain DMU will drop again on results day
(edited 2 months ago)
DMU will be flexible on results day if you insure them, almost no doubt whatsoever.

Firm your priority to give yourself the best chance of going there. Remember, they might have some flexibility too.
Original post by Avz4XO
Hi guys,

So I got offers from both UWE Bristol and DMU in Leicester (both offers are conditional).

UWE is asking for BBC, and DMU is asking for smth like 112 UCAS points, but if i keep it as my top choice they’ll reduce the requirement to 48 ucas points (weird on DMU’s part I know but not complaining).

Anyways, I very much prefer UWE over DMU, but if i put UWE as my first choice and DMU as second it means that DMU will still want 112 points (equiv to BBC) meaning that both my choices are asking for the same requirement, which isnt ideal.

So my question is if i was to Put DMU as my top (even though I prefer UWE) can i still go with my second choice (uwe) if i put it as that and if I end up getting the grades for it ?

Thanks!

You might want to ask your school/college to write to DMU and ask how making "48 if firmed" offer conditions works with their signing up to https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/what-we-do/policy-and-research/publications/fair-admissions-code-practice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending