The Student Room Group

Laptop for Physics/Natsci Undergrad University

My firm choice is physical natural sciences at cambridge and insurance offer is physics at bristol.
I have a desktop but I live in Northern Ireland, so I would need to either ship my computer or get a ferry across and drive. It would be more convenient travel wise to just get a plane across and buy stuff there, bringing a laptop. However, I feel it might be more advantageous to have a desktop at university as I'd be able to do so much more, and spend less as I wouldn't need as good a laptop (or a laptop at all).
My first question is would it be worth the hassle of bringing a desktop, or just get a laptop and leave the desktop at home.
Leading on from this, what laptop is recommended for physics/natsci? My max price is around £500. Thanks!
Original post by adm1
My firm choice is physical natural sciences at cambridge and insurance offer is physics at bristol.
I have a desktop but I live in Northern Ireland, so I would need to either ship my computer or get a ferry across and drive. It would be more convenient travel wise to just get a plane across and buy stuff there, bringing a laptop. However, I feel it might be more advantageous to have a desktop at university as I'd be able to do so much more, and spend less as I wouldn't need as good a laptop (or a laptop at all).
My first question is would it be worth the hassle of bringing a desktop, or just get a laptop and leave the desktop at home.
Leading on from this, what laptop is recommended for physics/natsci? My max price is around £500. Thanks!

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster and am also from NI so can definitely relate to the difficulties of getting everything back and forth!

As a natural sciences student I would personally recommend getting a laptop as it gives you a great deal of flexibility to take notes in lectures and then also do work both on campus and at home with out having to transfer files and notes etc.
I also find it helpful to do a bit of work on the go when travelling back home too!

Hope that is helpful 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by adm1

My daughter does physics at Lancaster and shes got a laptop. You can get a decent laptop for £500. Daughter takes her to do work in the library with her friends and also works on python and LaTex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending