The Student Room Group
University College Birmingham
Birmingham

review of University College Birmingham

I recently completed my academic journey at University College Birmingham (UCB) and feel compelled to share my experience regarding the support provided by the Business Department for students with additional needs. Firstly, I must commend the Disability Services and Well-being team at UCB for their exceptional support throughout my time at the university. Their dedication and assistance have been invaluable, and I am grateful for their unwavering commitment to students' well-being. However, I regret to say that my experience with the Business Department's support for disabled students has been disappointing and frustrating. Despite having a comprehensive support plan in place, I consistently encountered difficulties with temporary staff who appeared unaware of their responsibilities to accommodate disabled students. This lack of implementation of the support plan significantly impacted my academic experience and added unnecessary stress to my studies. Moreover, the transitions between tutors and temporary staff were particularly challenging, exacerbating feelings of isolation and distress. Additionally, the university's handling of interpersonal conflicts, such as the situation involving another student, further contributed to my sense of being unsupported and marginalized. Furthermore, there was a noticeable lack of communication and understanding regarding my disabilities within the Business Department. Unlike other departments where I felt valued and supported, the indifference to my needs within the Business Department had a detrimental impact on my mental health and overall well-being. In conclusion, I urge UCB to thoroughly investigate these issues and take appropriate action to ensure that future students with disabilities receive the support they need and deserve. Failure to address these concerns not only reflects poorly on the university but also perpetuates a harmful environment for disabled students. Overall, while my experience with the Disability Services and Well-being team was positive, the support provided by the Business Department fell short of expectations, and improvements are necessary to create a more inclusive and supportive environment for all students.
Original post by TRPS
I recently completed my academic journey at University College Birmingham (UCB) and feel compelled to share my experience regarding the support provided by the Business Department for students with additional needs. Firstly, I must commend the Disability Services and Well-being team at UCB for their exceptional support throughout my time at the university. Their dedication and assistance have been invaluable, and I am grateful for their unwavering commitment to students' well-being. However, I regret to say that my experience with the Business Department's support for disabled students has been disappointing and frustrating. Despite having a comprehensive support plan in place, I consistently encountered difficulties with temporary staff who appeared unaware of their responsibilities to accommodate disabled students. This lack of implementation of the support plan significantly impacted my academic experience and added unnecessary stress to my studies. Moreover, the transitions between tutors and temporary staff were particularly challenging, exacerbating feelings of isolation and distress. Additionally, the university's handling of interpersonal conflicts, such as the situation involving another student, further contributed to my sense of being unsupported and marginalized. Furthermore, there was a noticeable lack of communication and understanding regarding my disabilities within the Business Department. Unlike other departments where I felt valued and supported, the indifference to my needs within the Business Department had a detrimental impact on my mental health and overall well-being. In conclusion, I urge UCB to thoroughly investigate these issues and take appropriate action to ensure that future students with disabilities receive the support they need and deserve. Failure to address these concerns not only reflects poorly on the university but also perpetuates a harmful environment for disabled students. Overall, while my experience with the Disability Services and Well-being team was positive, the support provided by the Business Department fell short of expectations, and improvements are necessary to create a more inclusive and supportive environment for all students.
Hi TRPS,

We’re sorry for the disappointment reflected in your review, despite your positive experience with our wellbeing and disability teams, who offered invaluable support during your time at university. We understand the importance of consistent and effective support for students and would have valued the opportunity to address any concerns you may have had whilst you were still studying with us. We take all students’ comments seriously and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email [email protected] to arrange this. In the meantime, it’s great to see the progress that you made whilst at UCB, during both your college and university years and we are pleased that we gave you a strong foundation for your future we wish you all the best!

Regards,
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending