The Student Room Group

What are the chances of me being accepted for a PHD?

So I really want to do a psychology PHD. I honestly think I have found an important gap in the literature and a good idea for how to test it. However the only problem is that I only got a 2.2 at undergraduate level. I honestly believe I have good mitigating circumstances for their the biggest being that this was during covid and for my final year dissertation (the main cause of my low grade) I was forced to take on a project which I truly hated because there was no other options. I am currently doing a masters and on course of a high merit or low distinction. I have been working so hard these last few weeks on applications but I am now getting really frustrated as I am everyone is telling me I am wasting my time and all the effort will be for nothing as I have no chance of being accepted with a 2.2 at undergrad. Are they right? am I wasting my time?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SamuelNicho76
So I really want to do a psychology PHD. I honestly think I have found an important gap in the literature and a good idea for how to test it. However the only problem is that I only got a 2.2 at undergraduate level. I honestly believe I have good mitigating circumstances for their the biggest being that this was during covid and for my final year dissertation (the main cause of my low grade) I was forced to take on a project which I truly hated because there was no other options. I am currently doing a masters and on course of a high merit or low distinction. I have been working so hard these last few weeks on applications but I am now getting really frustrated as I am everyone is telling me I am wasting my time and all the effort will be for nothing as I have no chance of being accepted with a 2.2 at undergrad. Are they right? am I wasting my time?

I would suggest contacting universities directly to ask them whether you would be eligible. With your masters' experience behind you, you might find you will be OK!

Quick Reply

Latest