The Student Room Group

qualitative interview help!!! PANICK

Hi, I'm in my final year and I'm doing qualitative interviews for my final year project.

Unfortunately, some of the interviews were REALLY short, like 15 minutes, and qualitative interviews are preferred to be like 30-60 minutes. I'm really worried because the interviews are not in as much depth as I'd like and I'm not sure what to do. Should I recruit more participants? Am I even allowed to recruit more participants? The deadline for the dissertation drafts are this Friday.
Reply 1
I think you should do what you can with the interviews you have already done. Squeeze every drop of value out of them. What's important right now is that you get feedback on the work done. If your supervisor says "your interview content is insufficient" then you might be able to do one or two more (no time for more than that). You might also discuss the issues with the interview duration in your methodology section - why were they short, was it to do with the way you structured the interviews, etc. And has the shortness of the interviews had any significant impact on the dissertation content/analysis. While you are waiting for your feedback, you could arrange one or two additional interviews in case you decide to go ahead with that but at this stage I would focus on getting the draft working and making the most of what you have.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
I think you should do what you can with the interviews you have already done. Squeeze every drop of value out of them. What's important right now is that you get feedback on the work done. If your supervisor says "your interview content is insufficient" then you might be able to do one or two more (no time for more than that). You might also discuss the issues with the interview duration in your methodology section - why were they short, was it to do with the way you structured the interviews, etc. And has the shortness of the interviews had any significant impact on the dissertation content/analysis. While you are waiting for your feedback, you could arrange one or two additional interviews in case you decide to go ahead with that but at this stage I would focus on getting the draft working and making the most of what you have.
thank you so much for the feedback!!! Your insights are really useful - I will definitely try to do as much as I can with my current data! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending