The Student Room Group

am i in the wrong?

basically, me and my friend both applied to the same uni. she got rejected a few months ago, while i recently just got accepted. i was excited so i obviously told her i got accepted but i guess she didn't take it that well because now she's ignoring me no matter what i text (she didnt come into school today so i just asked her if she was okay but i can see she was online). was it insensitive of me to tell her i got in to that uni?
Original post by Anonymous #1
basically, me and my friend both applied to the same uni. she got rejected a few months ago, while i recently just got accepted. i was excited so i obviously told her i got accepted but i guess she didn't take it that well because now she's ignoring me no matter what i text (she didnt come into school today so i just asked her if she was okay but i can see she was online). was it insensitive of me to tell her i got in to that uni?

in my opinion, it was not insensitive of you to tell her that you got into the uni. you both applied to it and you both most likely thought about the possibility of one of you getting accepted and one getting rejected. yes, it’s sad and upsetting she wasn’t able to get into this uni, but she, as a good friend does, should be happy for you and celebrate your victories with you. completely ignoring you is such a childish reaction from her. but i would give her some space for now and talk when she’s up to talking. if after that, she continuously acts cold and distant towards you, and acts rude about your uni offer and never congratulates you, that’s not a good friend :/
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
in my opinion, it was not insensitive of you to tell her that you got into the uni. you both applied to it and you both most likely thought about the possibility of one of you getting accepted and one getting rejected. yes, it’s sad and upsetting she wasn’t able to get into this uni, but she, as a good friend does, should be happy for you and celebrate your victories with you. completely ignoring you is such a childish reaction from her. but i would give her some space for now and talk when she’s up to talking. if after that, she continuously acts cold and distant towards you, and acts rude about your uni offer and never congratulates you, that’s not a good friend :/

she said 'congratulations' after a while and i thanked her but yeah after that she's been ignoring me (the only things ive texted after that convo were literally 'where are you' and 'are you okay you werent in school'). i am going to just leave it for now and see whether or not she replies, but i honestly didn't think i would upset her this much because i genuinely was just telling her because i thought she would be happy for me like i wasn't trying to brag/rub it in her face if she thought i was 😕 thank you for your reply i really appreciate it bcs its helped me look at the situation differently!!
Reply 3
i wouldn't call it insensitive unless you were deliberately trying to rub it in her face ( it doesn't sound like it). Give her space, but at the same time if you can politely try to talk to her about her other choices. If she has applied for 5, then, in theory, she has other opportunities ahead of her. Maybe you can support her to ask the university what they didn't like, although this may be considered too much. Just let her know that you're there for her and that you still appreciate and respect her as a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending