The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Academix
It's a lottery

No, it isn't.
Reply 21
nirvathema
My first was pretty good. My second one was so incredibly, unbelievably, fascinatingly disastrous that I was just numb on the train ride back to London. I know people often say that when you think an interview went badly, it could likely mean it was actually good, but since I spoke about 30 words throughout the whole thing, I'm sure it was abominable. My test was also very bad since I was all flustered by then

And I flew all the way to the UK for this. Oh well...

That was quite similar to me... my test was sooooo bad but that was at the beginning. And after my first interview I was just numb because of how bad it went! Then my second interview was just ... I dunno lost, since after how bad my test and first interview went I just felt my brain has gone on shutdown!
Reply 22
One thing as a cambridge student i can guarantee you all on is that how well you thought your interview went bears no relationship at all to how well it actually went. A very informal poll of my year was pretty evenly divided between people who felt it went pretty badly, pretty well, "ok" and who didn't really know
aaloo
Everyone was ridiculously happy about their interview so I guess none of us can really tell.

Also, the test was bad and I feel I missed out on some perfect opportunities to say something interesting. I was thinking it but didn't say it.

For english lit on Tuesday? Don't worry. I'm not "ridiculously happy" about mine. I didn't agree with their points about my set texts and I struggled with the test.
Reply 24
Captain_cherry_tango
For english lit on Tuesday? Don't worry. I'm not "ridiculously happy" about mine. I didn't agree with their points about my set texts and I struggled with the test.

Yea, wow that was a good guess! Or did I mention that somewhere else here...

Well, coming out of the interview room, everyone had a brilliant smile on their faces. The interviews were so fun that we all fell in love with it. Gonna be a lot of upset people in January :frown:

Not agreeing with their points is good surely? I'm assuming you argued for the other side. :smile:
aaloo
Yea, wow that was a good guess! Or did I mention that somewhere else here...

Well, coming out of the interview room, everyone had a brilliant smile on their faces. The interviews were so fun that we all fell in love with it. Gonna be a lot of upset people in January :frown:

Not agreeing with their points is good surely? I'm assuming you argued for the other side. :smile:

Yea, I suppose...I loved the whole situation we were in, the little study and squidgey chairs etc, and I did argue the other side, but I feel I didn't offer as much evidence as they did...I suppose we'll have to wait and see though. It didn't help that I was first, scary stuff!
Reply 26
Captain_cherry_tango
Yea, I suppose...I loved the whole situation we were in, the little study and squidgey chairs etc, and I did argue the other side, but I feel I didn't offer as much evidence as they did...I suppose we'll have to wait and see though. It didn't help that I was first, scary stuff!

Oh, I argued against them with no evidence whatsoever besides me repeating "no, I just don't see any evidence for your argument. I don't agree at all." but then, they didn't point out any evidence to support their own points... *sighs*
GoldieStocks
Hi Guys

As most people have been interviewed now, I thought it would be interesting to poll whether people think they're going to get in or not after their interviews.

Personally, I would be surprised If I got an offer as my first interview was dire.

What do you think?

What college did you apply to?
Reply 28
Toiletpaper8
What college did you apply to?

Downing, You?
GoldieStocks
Downing, You?

Sidney Sussex.

Good luck anyway. Your BMAT results might mean you'll still get in even if the interview wasn't fantastic.

We'll just have to wait and see anyway :p:
Reply 30
Toiletpaper8
Sidney Sussex.

Good luck anyway. Your BMAT results might mean you'll still get in even if the interview wasn't fantastic.

We'll just have to wait and see anyway :p:

Thanks. I think my GCSEs preclude me form any automatic pooling though. What did you apply for at sidney sussex?
GoldieStocks
Thanks. I think my GCSEs preclude me form any automatic pooling though. What did you apply for at sidney sussex?

Medicine also.

Try not to think about it or let it ruin your Christmas. :smile:
GoldieStocks

There is no automatic pooling for medicine candidates. At least as far as I am aware.
Reply 33
TableChair
There is no automatic pooling for medicine candidates. At least as far as I am aware.

Well that's good to know!

Toiletpaper8
Medicine also.

Try not to think about it or let it ruin your Christmas

Don't worry mate, I've only got 2 days off anyway, not much to ruin!
Have a good one
Reply 34
Only had one interview, and I thought it went alright but I know I made a few silly mistakes!

I think I'll be lucky to get pooled :P
Reply 35
Takahashi
One thing as a cambridge student i can guarantee you all on is that how well you thought your interview went bears no relationship at all to how well it actually went. A very informal poll of my year was pretty evenly divided between people who felt it went pretty badly, pretty well, "ok" and who didn't really know

Well, there's quite a large difference between thinking it went pretty badly and disastrous.
Reply 36
The first one went quite well, the second one was AWFUL and the third one, the discussion about the text went well but i'm unsure about the grammar test and my spoken french, in fact I know my spoken french wasnt good. Then theres the written test, I didn't write enough they wanted 250-300 words and I'd be lucky at 180, but I wrote some good ideas I think. Although I made a basic error in the first 4 words which I realised when I left the room so it was too late to change.

I don't think I will get in, but you never know!
Mine was horrendous: 1st interviewer completed deflated all my points, later I realised that I'd completely misinterpreted the poem, spoke like a fool etc etc
test was beyond repulsive.
nightmare.
bring on the inevitable rejection :biggrin:
Reply 38
i plotted y =1/x wrong so i dunno....... fingers crossed anyways.
Reply 39
isaac21
Mine was rather splendid,I have applied to read Maths [Moderator edit: please do not post interview details.]

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Question for the moderator:

Does this mean interview details are not allowed on TSR?

Because I spent hours and hours trying to find example questions on here before my Cambridge interview and really struggled.

This would explain it...

Please put my mind at rest.

Latest

Trending

Trending