The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LondonBoy
You can stereotype against Private school kids, by saying you will do better because we are spoonfed and therefore dont think for ourselves, whereas if i say in general private schools are more confident than state school kids im being a snob

Your more than a snob, MATE.
annabellewalter
Yes they may be more confident at say academia, but i think the general point was that genuine 'confidence' has nothing to do with schooling

What is confidence in academia?
Reply 122
~Raphael~
So? :rolleyes: :smile:

would you ever call someone who couldnt count smart or brainy or intelligent? no you would not. :wink:
Reply 123
Davie_Moyes

You're

/runs! :biggrin: :wink:
Davie_Moyes

Stop insulting me, and argue your point, if you contradict yourself either correct it, or accept the mistake, dont turn to childplay.
LondonBoy
I dont understand what you're trying to say,

Also, you will find that the state school kid will more often or not get better grades than most private school people: he/she will work hard to get it...

So state school kids get better grades than private school kids

But....

You imply that you agree that private schools are higher in league tables - which show academic performance in public exams - therefore do better than state school kids.

The league tables show that Private Schools od best. But, does every kid get an opporutnity to sit an exam at a P/S? No, they only put the best candidites in to show how high there gtades are.

You'll find they are a lot of intelligent people at state schools (Certainly more than P/S) but because they are less bright people who don't do as well in their exams, the results fall down.
Confidence in academia...this is debating, feeling you know you academic strengths and weaknesses, being able to talk in fron of lots of people and not be afraid.

True confidence is being able to learn from others and having the balls to objectively view and defend your own opinions. Being prepared to say 'I know nothing about what its like to go to a state school, somebody explain the pros and cons and i will take this on board and apply it to my opinions accordingly.'
LondonBoy
You can stereotype against Private school kids, by saying you will do better because we are spoonfed and therefore dont think for ourselves, whereas if i say in general private schools are more confident than state school kids im being a snob

I'm not generalising at all. Put it another way, say there's a kid, person A, in state education who gets AAA as A-Level. That same kid in a private school obviously would get the same - AAA. Now, say there's a kid (person B) in a state school who gets... we'll say BBB. At a private school, he'd have been given extra help preparing and achieve, say, AAB allowing him to get into a better University course. You'll have to conceed that this is true, right?

But now there's a third guy Person C, who got AAB at a state school. He's in the same course as the guy who got AAB at private, but would have got BBB in state. Person B and Person C go to the same course at the same University, where they have exactly the same resources and teachers. Now surely it's logical that person C will cope better than person B who got extra help at school?

Sorry if that was a bit complex... I'm just showing how I wasn't generalising.
technik
i have an above average IQ (although IQ isnt bulletproof) yet i only have 6 GCSEs. im sure theres people on here with 10 A's and all the certificates under the sun with lower than average IQ. at the same time there could be someone with a 200 IQ who failed all their exams.

does that make them intelligent or not depending? i dont think so.

Hmmm, you're thinking about exceptions, really...Just because you don't have good grades, it doesn't mean you're a thicko :rolleyes: but the trend is that if you have good grades you have intelligence...Of course, you can train for exams and you can memorise if you have a good memory, but that won't help you when you need to actually think, so you'll never be able to answer every question, so at some point some exam will separate you, even if it's at uni. rather than A Level...I'm talking trends, baby! :biggrin: :smile: :wink:
The league tables show that Private Schools od best. But, does every kid get an opporutnity to sit an exam at a P/S?

100% of people at my school take all their modules for a/s level exams, and their gcse exams, i dont know where you got that from, if you have any evidence paste/link it.

You'll find they are a lot of intelligent people at state schools (Certainly more than P/S) but because they are less bright people who don't do as well in their exams, the results fall down

Again 1. what evidence do you have, and how are you judging intelligence, the only indictior admitedlly not a very good one of intelligence are exams, where private school kids do better,

'because there are less bright people' you're going in circles- first you argue that state schools do better than private schools, remember we are talking about the majority in general, now you are saying people dont do well in exams cause they arent bright? - a bit obvious no?
I dont know what you're trying to argue....
Whether state school kids are bright or not is totally irrelevant. Theres gonna be a mix isnt there? Because its not down to how bright you are, its down to where u live and how much cash mummy and daddy have
LondonBoy
exams, where private school kids do better,

Again, I have to argue that this is because they get more help in preparation. I think it's safer to presume that there are about the same intelligence ratios in both types of education, and the divide in exam results are because of better resources.
You cant say that just because someone gets AAB at a private school would get BBB at a state school. I believe that private school gives you the motivation/and demand to work hard and to get those grades. Perhaps a student in a state school who gets AAB would do better at uni - not because he is more intelligent- but more motivated to work.

I respect students from bad state schools who do get good grades, because evidently its harder to work at it, but i dont think you can say it makes him more intelligent than a private school kid.
On another topic - how irritating is it that LondonBoy has stolen my third rep gem?? And for a perfectly valid post too.

Sorry if it wasn't you LB, it wasn't signed, but I'm presuming it was because I can't think of anyone else in the thread who it would have been. Maybe someone can correct me :p:
100% of people at my school take all their modules for a/s level exams, and their gcse exams, i dont know where you got that from, if you have any evidence paste/link it.

Evidence - experience from people at P/S. One girl wasnt allowed to sit Higher Maths at her P/S because she was good enough to get an A. They are only interested in people getting the top results to show how good they are. Not everyone gets the chance at all subjects where as at a state school there are EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES

If you were such a good debater, you'd listen to what we are saying instead of trying to crush everthing down to make you look brilliant. Maybe if you listened to us, you'd see that:
- there are a lot of bright people at state schools
- they are a lot of less able peope at state schools
- this means when exams come the bright people do excellent while the less able dont do as good. This means that the results of the school are not too good because the good results are cancelled out by the bad results. This doesnt mean that all state school people are thick:
-You will find a lot of private school pupils arent bright they are pushed through. They are given everything they need to help them suceed which gives them good results.
- A lot of state school pupils are in the same position as private school ones i.e. not so intelligent but because they don't get the same help, they don't do as well
Toy Soldier
Again, I have to argue that this is because they get more help in preparation. I think it's safer to presume that there are about the same intelligence ratios in both types of education, and the divide in exam results are because of better resources.

I dont think there is anyway of proving/disproving that, but its a valid point, but perhaps this goes back to my intial point, those 'less intelligent' students who end up state schools, lives will be worse of than if they were at private schools, they will have no motivation for working and be worse off, whereas at private school,there will be pressure for them to perform well, and therefore a better future.
LondonBoy
You cant say that just because someone gets AAB at a private school would get BBB at a state school.

Read it again, because that's not what I said at all. I was using persons A B and C as hypothetical individuals - not generalisations. It is true - true truuue - that a person person in a state school achieving BBB MIGHT have achieved better with more help. You at least have to conceed that, because it's very very basic logic.
WTF? Private school pupils have less motivation to work because they are spoon fed everything. Where as State pupils aren't.
David Moyes read above, i am not anti-state school, the whole point of the thread was saying looking at what state school education would have done.
Your points although they dont lead anywhere ill accept.

but this
They are only interested in people getting the top results to show how good they are. Not everyone gets the chance at all subjects where as at a state school there are EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES

Seeing as I go to a private school: We were allowed to take any subjects we wanted, regardless of ability, please dont just presume/ or repeat silly stuff you hear.
LondonBoy
but perhaps this goes back to my intial point, those 'less intelligent' students who end up state schools, lives will be worse of than if they were at private schools, they will have no motivation for working and be worse off, whereas at private school,there will be pressure for them to perform well, and therefore a better future.

...I'm fairly sure that wasnt your initial point. Maybe a tangent from it, but definately not the original point. Because that I would have agreed with - I know a lot of very clever kids who failed miserably, who I'm absolutely positive could have scored straight A's with better 'motivation' as you call it. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the school itself, in my opinion. It has a lot more to do with family circumstances, and the way people are brought up... what group they fall in with... things like that.

Latest

Trending

Trending