The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Definitely Swansea.
oh no... it depends on the damn individual! :rolleyes:

You could have at least putted it in the Oxbridge forum! :rolleyes:
The 'grounds' differ a lot depending which college you are talking about. But even if you were talking about the whole city and all the university buildings as a whole, the opinion would vary for everyone! Anyway, they're both pretty similar - old, impressive.. :smile:
Reply 4
Grounds for what?:confused:
Reply 5
im so academic

Of course it depends on the individual, which is why this was asked on a forum with a poll, so that individual people can state their opinion.

Tons of questions in life are a matter of opinion. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked.
Reply 6
im so academic

you've been barred from receiving reputation?
i wanted to rep you telling you i fancy you :frown:
Reply 7
Revolution is my Name
Oxford has too many tories wandering around, they just completely ruin the scenery

Hear hear. A true Oxford expert has spoken.
Cambridge always feels better "designed" to me - colleges clustered together around the river, with big lawns reaching down as punts drift by. Oxford has everything strewn around more haphazardly, which is charming in its own way. It also has a bit more of a "town" around the university buildings whereas Cambridge feels more university-dominated.
Reply 9
Noémie
you've been barred from receiving reputation?
i wanted to rep you telling you i fancy you :frown:

Grr, I just tried to rep him as well. What gets you barred from receiving rep?
I started obsessively looking at Oxford colleges not long ago (edit: yes, I know, I'm sad. Edit edit: It wasn't for very long, honest). But a lot of them seem to look quite similar, for some reason.
So, until I get rejected by Cambridge, I'm going to side with them. Edit: :rolleyes:
Reply 11
both universities are unique in their own aspects, you cant really compare them.

however i like cambridge so i will say cambridge is better :biggrin:
I think using a poll is a very silly idea. There are more active Cambridge students on TSR than Oxford students, and several interviewees will probably also vote based on what they've seen at interview.

Personally I think that overall Oxford has nicer 'grounds' than Cambridge. I'm at Cambridge but I have family in Oxford and have visited. Oxford has I think two or three natural parks with rivers right in the city centre (can the Oxen please brush up the details here for accuracy - hazy memory etc) Also Oxford as a city is much more tree covered which gives it a more green and pretty feel. What it boils down to is that both Universities and their colleges are very fine looking, but Oxford is built on a prettier bit of hilly tree covered countryside, and Cambridge is built along flat fens.
A previous poster commented that the town centre of Cambridge is more University dominated, or somesuch. I think this is slightly true, and the Backs are lovely. Cambridge has fantastic Botanic Gardens in the city centre too, which is also lovely.

You should also heed the comments that it varies from college to college. The above post is talking about the bits in between colleges, but the colleges themselves will affect your experience of the University more than the few details that are true of the University as a whole.
My college, for instance, has a beautiful Deer Park :smile:

Bingo Jesus
Grr, I just tried to rep him as well. What gets you barred from receiving rep?

Its usually a punishment by the mods for persistent rep whoring, or being found to be participating in a rep circle or donning etc.

And I'm also disappointed :frown:
Reply 13

I think that answers your question.

Latest

Trending

Trending