The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hi everyone, i'm going to b'ham 2005 as well, for political science (BBB offer)
can't wait!!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
rjones
hi everyone, i'm going to b'ham 2005 as well, for political science (BBB offer)
can't wait!!

Cool!!

I've added you to the birmingham students thread- where there is a list of everyone heading off to birmingham in 2005. I would be grateful if people could post in that thread, so we can have one comprehensive list :smile:

Thanks!!

Ruthie xx
Reply 42
silence
probably pathway one as i'm doing lit for a level.

having said that, i really am interested in the linguistic side of english, i.e. etymology etc. but i don't really know what their language element would consist of.

what about u?

For language you start off with phonology, morphology and grammar I can't get you the reading list at the moment but you do all the technical stuff first such as those, then text and vocab studies [phrases and dividing everything up in sentences and so on] and then variation in language [child language, accents and dialects etc] just in case you were still wanting to know :smile:
Reply 43
Hey any1 goin 2 study chemistry with psychology at birmingham this sept (05)?
FireFlea
For language you start off with phonology, morphology and grammar I can't get you the reading list at the moment but you do all the technical stuff first such as those, then text and vocab studies [phrases and dividing everything up in sentences and so on] and then variation in language [child language, accents and dialects etc] just in case you were still wanting to know :smile:

phonology....morphology....arg! im scared now...
Reply 45
phonemes and morphemes make up words.

i.e. the word "disobeying" constists of three morphemes.

there are two grammatical morphemes (things which give them stem word some kind of further description in tense or something similar) "dis" and "ing", with a lexical morpheme "obey", the basic idea which all other elements of the word are describing.

then there's four phonemes: "dis"; "o"; "bey"; "ing". i dont know how to do phonetic symbols on the computer but yeh u get the message initttt. don't know why i exactly made this post.
silence
phonemes and morphemes make up words.

i.e. the word "disobeying" constists of three morphemes.

there are two grammatical morphemes (things which give them stem word some kind of further description in tense or something similar) "dis" and "ing", with a lexical morpheme "obey", the basic idea which all other elements of the word are describing.

then there's four phonemes: "dis"; "o"; "bey"; "ing". i dont know how to do phonetic symbols on the computer but yeh u get the message initttt. don't know why i exactly made this post.

AAARRRGGGGGGG!!! :p: :p: :p:
ooo im scared now...heehee...ah well if i need to learn stuff when doing russian er ill learn then i guess!
*crazy kids these days with there "wickeds" and "morphemes" and "VW Golfs..."* hehee
Reply 47
yep in answa to the original question i'm definately goin Bham Uni as well (assuming i get the grades of course)!!

Going to be studyin straight Economics (L100)
Reply 48
birminghams my first choice!
Reply 49
what subject?
if i get in, ill be there too.
BBB to do geo!
Reply 51
im (hopefully) going to do history

Latest

Trending

Trending