The Student Room Group

Is The Telegraph Wrong?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/3902094/Garden-history-and-wellbeing-qualifications-from-Cambridge-University.html

The last two paragraphs of this article, which talk about plans to give Homerton full collegiate status: hasn't it had such status for a number of years now? At least, I'm applying there to study classics (and undergraduates for degrees other than education have been admitted there since, I believe off the top of my head, 2000) and have thus been given this impression.

Scroll to see replies

The Telegraph is essentially correct. Homerton is currently an 'Approved Society'. See Homerton's history page.
According to the Homerton website, 'In 2007 the College was able to make a formal submission to the University of Cambridge for full collegiate status. For further information please see the proposed Petition, Charter and Statutes which will accompany the award of a Royal Charter to the College.' which would suggest that it does not have full collegiate status yet.
Reply 3
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/about/history.html

Apparently it doesn't have full collegiate status yet, but should do soon.
Reply 4
Okay, thanks.

If anyone wants a debate, what do we think of the main topic of the Telegraph article? The allegedly increasing size of Cambridge's remit, that is.
Reply 5
jismith1989
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/3902094/Garden-history-and-wellbeing-qualifications-from-Cambridge-University.html

The last two paragraphs of this article, which talk about plans to give Homerton full collegiate status: hasn't it had such status for a number of years now? At least, I'm applying there to study classics (and undergraduates for degrees other than education have been admitted there since, I believe off the top of my head, 2000) and have thus been given this impression.

No, it's not of 'full collegiate status', and is not a great college in terms of location either (for some).
Reply 6
I like Homerton, and incidentally did a course in Managing Voluntary Organisations there at the Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education. Essentially, I earned 10 Credits at level 1, never completed the full 60 credits that would've granted me the certificate because to be honest, that course was far below what I expected, even far below the education I received at Anglia Ruskin.
Reply 7
Well it refers to the fellows as 'dons', so it's wrong in that sense.
Reply 8
Academix
No, it's not of 'full collegiate status', and is not a great college in terms of location either (for some).

Yeah, it's only 15 minutes away from the city centre though; with a bike, that's no problem.
Reply 9
brimstone
Well it refers to the fellows as 'dons', so it's wrong in that sense.

Why?
Reply 10
c2uk
I like Homerton, and incidentally did a course in Managing Voluntary Organisations there at the Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education. Essentially, I earned 10 Credits at level 1, never completed the full 60 credits that would've granted me the certificate because to be honest, that course was far below what I expected, even far below the education I received at Anglia Ruskin.

Interesting. If they can't provide a decent certificate-level education, maybe that is an argument for them sticking to their strengths? Or maybe it's simply an argument for the university to improve its weaknesses.
jismith1989
Why?

'Don' is a term from the other place that we haven't cared to adopt :p:
Reply 12
The West Wing
'Don' is a term from the other place that we haven't cared to adopt :p:

Oh, I see. :p:

Well, the OED needs to get its facts straight then! '2. a university teacher, esp. a senior member of a college at Oxford or Cambridge. [ORIGIN: transferred colloquial use of the Spanish title (see above).]'
Reply 13
Also, how can Homerton operate, in effect, as a college, which it is doing (with most of the relevant literature titling it Homerton College), if it doesn't have such status? Is it just a technicality?
Reply 14
jismith1989
Also, how can Homerton operate, in effect, as a college, which it is doing (with most of the relevant literature titling it Homerton College), if it doesn't have such status? Is it just a technicality?

I would imagine that as with St Cuthbert's Society at Durham, the university under their provisions allows them to conduct themselves as a corporate and educational establishment in the same way as colleges, however, they don't have the necessary Royal provisions. so yes, I suppose it is a technicality.

Merry Christmas :smile:
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:
Reply 15
jismith1989
Why?

... because we call them fellows, not dons. Don is an Oxford term :mad:
brimstone

Erm...http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/emmanuel/index.html

The grass in Front Court, however, is sacrosanct: only ducks and dons, and snowmen that appear mysteriously in the middle of the night, are allowed on it.
Reply 17
brimstone

Either term can be used, but fellow is far more common. I think Don is mainly used if you wanted to be a bit disrespectful or patronising (So common in Varsity headlines and things, plus it sometimes scans better), fellow is their actual title, and Don is sort of a nickname for a fellow. If you are talking about a group of fellows then Dons is quite common.
brimstone

'Fellow' is the technical term at both universities.

'Don' is slang, which I would agree is much more commonly used at Oxford, but I don't think you could go as far as to say it's 'wrong' to use it at Cambridge.
Reply 19
Homerton will soon be given collegiate status. However it doesn't really mean anything other than we lose more money because we haven't paid into the College Fund.

I would like to point out that a variety of the other colleges are not yet fully integrated into the University because they appreciate the financial benefits.

Latest

Trending

Trending