The Student Room Group
Reply 1
CuSO4..... ill give you that lol, havent done electrolysis of copper sulphote yet
Reply 2
LOL, thanks but I knew that bit. I dnt no its full structural formula.
Reply 3
I haven't done that either but why don't you google it? - common stuff like that you'll find online quite easily - otherwise ask your teacher or look at your textbook!

Why don't you simply work out the bonding from the periodic table? - it's do-able, and bear in mind the various oxidation states of Cu although usually at 2+ - or the most common oxidation state anyway I think.

Sulphur has 6 outter shell electrons
Oxygen has 6 as well
4 Oxygen atoms to 1 Sulphur
Cu 2+ which means a loss of 2 electrons

So if you think about it - 3 dative covalent S-O bonds with the S donating a pair of electrons to O and then the 4th Oxygen atom comes and joins as another dative covalent bond but the O donating the pair maybe? That leaves an incomplete outter shell for that particular oxygen atom - and the shell is completed with the 2 electrons lost from the Cu ion, making Cu 2+ and O 2-

So [SO4]2- [Cu]2+ is the full structural formula I think.

Please please please CHECK THIS before you use it cus this is just what I've managed to work out from the periodic table - I have NO IDEA IF THIS IS CORRECT!!!!!

But nonetheless there :smile:
Reply 4
In solution, copper sulphate splits up to forms 2 ions:
CuSO4 -> Cu(2+) + SO4(2-)
At the anode, copper ions will gain electrons to form copper atom.Cu(2+) + 2e -> Cu
At the cathode, if you use a metal X as a cathode
X - ne -> X(n+)
I think it's often used to purify copper. They will use the copper cathode, so that
Cu - 2e -> Cu(2+).
Copper continues forming at anode. And it's much purer than in copper mining
Reply 6
Thanks very much very one for your help.

Latest

Trending

Trending