The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should remain whatever age I am.
No matter what you do to the drinking age, you're going to have underage drinkers.
Reply 3
I think it's about right.

Though the silly thing is, the age that one can legally have sex is 16, but drinking has a higher age limit. But I bet hardly anyone does those two in the order they should be done though.
Reply 4
TBH I think the German system works best, 16 for wine and beer, 18 for spirits.
Reply 5

Sounds about right.
I think it's fair enough where it is.
21 is too high. Imagine being 20... maybe a married parent... and not legally being able to just buy a drink!
Not raise, but I think it's about right.
I think anywhere from 16 to 18 is about right. I don't have a problem with it being 18, but I'd have a problem with raising it any higher.
Reply 9
inksplodge
No matter what you do to the drinking age, you're going to have underage drinkers.

Completely agree. Raising it is pointless. If people can get drinks at 15 with the limit at 18 why would they not be able to if the limit was 21? And with supermarkets and bars supposedly already carding for under 21s rather than just under 18s there would be even less difference! Would the government have them carding for under 24s instead? Bit ridiculous.

They need to tackle the drinking 'culture' rather then the limits. Stop alcopops being all but explicitly directed at young teens. Other things I can't think of right now.
Reply 10
inksplodge

Not if the drinking age is 0
Get rid of it. It doesn't prevent underage drinking anyway.
numb3rb0y

Well, it prevents some of it.
numb3rb0y

So a 4 year old can just walk into tesco and buy Vodka, yeah good idea!

I think 18 is the best age, this is when you are an adult, that is the time you should be able to decide to put whatever you legally can buy into your system. If 18 is the wrong age then you aren't really an adult at 18...
nolongerhearthemusic
Well, it prevents some of it.

Doesn't prevent it, though.

It's ineffectiveness isn't my reasoning for wanting it gone, though, it's merely a noteworthy side point. It should be abolished because it constitutes governmental aggression, and I don't believe in the government that would administer it.
I feel most 18 year olds are not in a mental position to know what resonsable drinking is, in my experience, 90% at that age think the only way to drink is to force as much down your neck in as shortest time as possible and then to brag to your friends on monday about how many times you threw up.

The issue is, at what age do people STOP thinking like that? I would be inclinded to say 21, but to be honest, I think people would still behave the same even at 21. At the root cause, I would say we have British culture to blame for the way people drink alcohol in a no tomorrow fashion, not age.
numb3rb0y
Doesn't prevent it, though.

It's ineffectiveness isn't my reasoning for wanting it gone, though, it's merely a noteworthy side point. It should be abolished because it constitutes governmental aggression, and I don't believe in the government that would administer it.

Hm. It's not very realistic, though, is it? I don't think I'd want 12 year olds to be able to walk into a shop and buy vodka, they'd kill themselves.
gamer91

:ditto:

They have much lower rates of teenage drinking as well. At the moment in the UK, alcohol is almost the 'forbidden fruit' and that makes it all the more attractive.
Alcohol should never be sold in any place except for in pubs or restaurants. There, it should be over 16s.

hehe
I couldn't care less because the age limit doesn't mean much, people, including me, will drink whatever the age limit is.

Latest

Trending

Trending