The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
punktopia
Okay, firstly I shall propose a question that you shall answer via the ingenious medium of a poll: Should fat people lose weight? Should they be either encouraged or forced to lose weight?

Secondly: why are fat people fat? Why do they continue to be fat? Are they not aware of their fatness? Do you think fat people are just generally depressed/lazy? Does fat = greed?

I think most fat people are desperate to lose weight but find they're unable to - usually due to lack of willpower. I used to fat - 161lbs and I was miserable every single day. I was so desperate to lose the weight but couldn't stick to a diet and was on steroids which made me gain even more weight. I wouldn't go out anywhere and hid from people a lot. I hated going out shopping, meeting up with people etc. I'd just spend all day in my room and was a complete mess and just wasting my life.
Then I did lose weight and it was hard. As I can't exercise much (due to medical reasons), I barely ate for years on to lose it. Now I'm slimmer but not the slimmest I've been at 92lbs and am a lot happier.
However, when I see bigger people then me who are enjoying their lives and going out etc and I admire them. I don't think - 'oh you should lose weight', I just think I was more liike them and weren't so bothered about being at a certain weight.
I think that a bigger person should only lose weight if they want to. If it's going to make them a happier person then definetely they should. However, I don't think they should have to lose weight if they're happy and comfortable being the size they are.

Sorry for the long post :smile:
MittenKrust
Such an ignorant and unintelligent answer.

What about the thin people who abuse their health and go to hospital for it because they are thin should they be treated no questions asked?

So someone like me who is fat but hardly ever eats pizza or McD's and very likely far less than you is greedy? the very way you said your reply that you enjoy it in moderation is hinting that fat people always eat pizza and take aways/McD's where do you get that from? Isnt the British culture to get drunk and a greasy kebab or burger afterwards so isnt that greedy? What about people who go clubbing each week and get drunk and abuse their health.

I eat because im hungry, my body is used to being hungry and im bored im not greedy in the slightest since a few years ago went hitchhiking Europe and starved for days then when I finally ate just shared a pizza with who i went with and that was it all day.

You have to look at someones diet in bigger terms, is a fat person who drinks fizzy drinks a lot, and unhealthily worse than a thin person who drinks a lot of alcohol, eats a lot of take aways, does no exercise etc less greedy just as they are thin?

Firstly being thin is not unhealthy. If you're referring to conditions like anorexia and bulimia, i wouldnt deem either of those as an abuse of health.

Where someone subconciously makes the decision that they do not want to eat, or be anorexic, there are serious underlying psychological factors at play, dont you think? A defficiency in that respect.

You dont need to be a medical professional to establish that no animal first and foremost, let alone human in their right mind would want to try and survive without eating. So when a person denys themselves much wanted food intentionally, something is wrong, no? In which case they would need the necessary treatment to help them overcome their problem.

At the same time you dont hear about conditions like anorexia becoming increasingly endemic do you. And for the cases of it that do occur, their numbers are relatively few compared to that of obesity related problems.

As for the excuse of being bored and hungry all the time.... huh??? i get an urge to kick people aimlessly and because of boredom i have nothing better to do.. doesn't mean i should do it? absolutely everybody gets bored and hungry, it's nothing other than human but we have to conciously impose limitations son! or else we'd all be floating around in the skies with baskets attached to our undersides...
Hollandaise_Sauce
The BMI is a more or less accurate measure of a height to weight ratio.

Oh Rly?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6162721.stm

From the NHS themselves:
Although useful for most people, BMI doesn't work for everyone. It’s not suitable for young children or older people. It’s also not very useful if you’re have a high muscle bulk, perhaps because you're very athletic. The heavier muscles will push up your BMI measurement. For instance, heavily muscled rugby players have 'obese' BMIs, even though they are not carrying excess body fat.
Reply 83
I think obese people should be made to lose weight. Only because they are more likely to use up hospital time, which could be used for people who have problems that can't be helped.

However, other than that meh let um be fat.
Powerlifter
Oh Rly?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6162721.stm

From the NHS themselves:

I figured that'd come about hence the more or less part...
It's not a question of should, really. It's a question of how? It seems to me, that people who have weight issues, also have emotional or mental issues alongside it. There simply isn't enough help, support or education for these people.

Children are no longer being brought up to care for their health and aren't being fed properly at home nor at school - schools only feed the problem, offering chips and chocolate at every break time. This was my biggest problems at school - the availability of junk food and the lack of maturity to make healthy choices isn't the best starting point.

Then there are the adults who are fat, particularly women who say 'I've tried every diet under the sun and still can't lose weight' - when the most simple and effective way to lose weight actually means putting effort in. Eating less/more healthy and doing more physical exercise, works. It's not rocket science. The problem is, people are just too lazy. They want a 'quick fix' which just doesn't exist.
You CAN exercise when you're fat, it's just that bit more difficult. You CAN swim, if you're fat. It's not about 'can't - it's about 'won't', which imo is not an acceptable reason for someone to remain fat.

You can't force people to change the habit of a lifetime. In the end, it is up to the individual to change, not us.
Hollandaise_Sauce
I figured that'd come about hence the more or less part...

Oh rly:wink:
Adv.1.more or less - (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct;

It is about as close to correct as I am to being an Ant, it was developed back in the 1800's and was considered out of date then, it is severly inaccurate for heights above 5'6 (which was the average back then) as it mathematically assumes things such as broadness increase relative to height, which is not true.
It is a pile of poo and should be burned forthwith and stricken from the minds of those reading this thread and replaced with a simple image of a man cutting down a tree with a herring!
I think they should but not forced. And I think overweight people should be targeted to lose weight as well as the number of overweight people becoming obese is rising faster than the number of healthy people becoming overweight. I know that they pay tax all their lives and the fact that they cost the NHS can't be used as a sole argument but seriously, obesity and related problems cost a hell of a lot of the NHS budget (I think I had a stat of about 29% of the yearly budget for my last assignment (and 5% for type 2 diabetes). And yes I have a reference somewhere)

I am skinny and have no bother losing weight but I think I can still understand slightly how hard it could be to lose weight as I can't control my eating sometimes.
Yes, but only for health purposes.
I'm fat, I want to lose weight, but I can't :'(
I'll lose weight when the weather improves. A nice layer of insulative fat is a darn sight cheaper than heating a flat.
Reply 91
Syafiquaaa

That's BS, get some will power and stop making excuses.
Syafiquaaa
If your profile picture is anything to go by, you clearly have a problem if you think you're fat. :confused:
Should ugly people be shot? :rolleyes:
Syzygy7
That's BS, get some will power and stop making excuses.

Howwwwwwwwww! I've been trying for the past three years, whenever I lose weight I gain again. Grrrrr I hate my fatness.
Reply 95
There are a variety of factors associated with obesity, one of them being idleness. However it depends on an individuals circumstances. I have also noticed that many people, who are obese, are too embarassed to go to the gym, mainly becuase of their weight, and this type of mindset can also effect a person.

In treating obesity, the most healthiest option is eating a balanced diet and good exercise. I know these seem to be cliches, but they actually do work very well. However if a person has a Body Mass Index of above thirty, then i would advise them to get a stomach bypass by which they will feel a lot less hungrier!
Syafiquaaa
Howwwwwwwwww! I've been trying for the past three years, whenever I lose weight I gain again. Grrrrr I hate my fatness.

Girl you're stupid, you're thinner than me.
Reply 97
AsianRomeo
There are a variety of factors associated with obesity, one of them being idleness. However it depends on an individuals circumstances. I have also noticed that many people, who are obese, are too embarassed to go to the gym, mainly becuase of their weight, and this type of mindset can also effect a person.

In treating obesity, the most healthiest option is eating a balanced diet and good exercise. I know these seem to be cliches, but they actually do work very well. However if a person has a Body Mass Index of above thirty, then i would advise them to get a stomach bypass by which they will feel a lot less hungrier!

Do you work for/have stocks in a Bariatric Surgery Company?:p:

"Gastric Bypasses for all with a BMI > 30!"

That would be a lot of fat people sugery and lots peri-operative mortality.

My advise personally is to put down the fork, and put on some running shoes.
I thinkl this thread should be closed its just gonna spark interest for those with near enough eating disorders
AsianRomeo
However if a person has a Body Mass Index of above thirty, then i would advise them to get a stomach bypass by which they will feel a lot less hungrier!
That's an absurd comment! How is that ever going to help in the long term? All it ever does is teach someone, 'oh, don't worry about getting fat, as soon as you hit a BMI of 30, we'll give you a magic cure and all your problems will be solved, because you'll never again have to take responsibility for your own weight' - which is BS.

People need educating BEFORE their BMI gets to 30.

Latest

Trending

Trending