The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonny_J_D
I know :rolleyes:

(I wasn't being serious)

I'm awful at detecting when people aren't being serious online :redface:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by HEJ92

Original post by HEJ92
It's £190 without insurance or £210 with (I got it with) which means you get 2 replacements if you lose it or something (I always manage to lose things so this is good for me :P)

Prices have now changed, so it would be £200 and £220 respectively :smile:
I have a bit of a dilemma here: Wolfson Court or Norfolk/Suffolk Terrace? The former provides a saving of £500 for the year, but the latter seems to be more desirable? The question is, is it worth the £500 premium? Opinions?
And yes, £500 is a considerable amount of money, in my opinion.
Reply 1784
Original post by TheMasterfulChimp
I have a bit of a dilemma here: Wolfson Court or Norfolk/Suffolk Terrace? The former provides a saving of £500 for the year, but the latter seems to be more desirable? The question is, is it worth the £500 premium? Opinions?

I have friends in Wolfson Court so am over there quite a lot. It's mostly (if not all) international postgrads - therefore generally an older crowd, which is generally a good thing. Lots of Chinese, who tend to keep to themselves a bit. But there are some quite social flats - the Indians are always very accommodating, quite a few Americans, and people tend to hang out with their friends more than their flatmates anyway, cooking together etc, so if you get an all Chinese block and don't happen to be fluent in Mandarin it's not really a problem.

The buildings are a bit uninspiring - lots of grey concrete, rather like a Scottish housing estate. Kitchens are OK - I think 8 people sharing each one. Bathrooms - there's usually one separate toilet in the hall and then shared bathrooms with 3 or 4 shower cubicles and toilets. Rooms are bigger than the Village, maybe a little smaller than Norfolk/Suffolk.

It'll be quieter over in Wolfson as it's a smaller complex on the edge of campus. By quieter it just means less chance of being woken by screaming drunks at 3am on their way home, rather than a monastic silence hanging over the place with everyone hiding in their room.

Personally I'd pick Wolfson over Norfolk/Suffolk, but I'd pick the Village over either of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jez RR
I have friends in Wolfson Court so am over there quite a lot. It's mostly (if not all) international postgrads - therefore generally an older crowd, which is generally a good thing. Lots of Chinese, who tend to keep to themselves a bit. But there are some quite social flats - the Indians are always very accommodating, quite a few Americans, and people tend to hang out with their friends more than their flatmates anyway, cooking together etc, so if you get an all Chinese block and don't happen to be fluent in Mandarin it's not really a problem.

The buildings are a bit uninspiring - lots of grey concrete, rather like a Scottish housing estate. Kitchens are OK - I think 8 people sharing each one. Bathrooms - there's usually one separate toilet in the hall and then shared bathrooms with 3 or 4 shower cubicles and toilets. Rooms are bigger than the Village, maybe a little smaller than Norfolk/Suffolk.

It'll be quieter over in Wolfson as it's a smaller complex on the edge of campus. By quieter it just means less chance of being woken by screaming drunks at 3am on their way home, rather than a monastic silence hanging over the place with everyone hiding in their room.

Personally I'd pick Wolfson over Norfolk/Suffolk, but I'd pick the Village over either of them.

hi, would you pick the village over campus en-suite? why??
Wolfson is Postgrad? I was under the impression that it was for Undergrads? Thanks for your reply, Jez RR, by the way.
Original post by TheMasterfulChimp
Wolfson is Postgrad? I was under the impression that it was for Undergrads? Thanks for your reply, Jez RR, by the way.

From what I understand, Orwell and Wolfson are identical blocks, and each year one of them is reserved for Postgrads (and only international postgrads are guarenteed accomodation on campus) and one is reserved for undergrads.
Reply 1788
Original post by Ralpharm
hi, would you pick the village over campus en-suite? why??

It's smaller, quieter, more of a private community feel, rooms are very similar (but slightly smaller due to the bathroom pod being inside the floorplan). And it's also cheaper.

The walk is no hassle at all - it's only about 10 minutes to campus. 3 minutes by bike.
Original post by Jez RR
It's smaller, quieter, more of a private community feel, rooms are very similar (but slightly smaller due to the bathroom pod being inside the floorplan). And it's also cheaper.

The walk is no hassle at all - it's only about 10 minutes to campus. 3 minutes by bike.

Speaking of bikes, are there places to lock your bike outside lecture theatres? :redface:
Reply 1790
Original post by diamonddust
Speaking of bikes, are there places to lock your bike outside lecture theatres? :redface:

Depends on the block. There's nowhere immediately outside LT1-4 which are right by the library (although I never had a lecture in there anyway), but there are a few places within a couple of minutes' walk. There's bike parking just by Arts 1, another down at Thomas Paine, CD Annexe, the Bio building and there's a locked cage at the end of the Street with a code entry system. There are probably a few more around.
Reply 1791
Original post by Jez RR
Depends on the block. There's nowhere immediately outside LT1-4 which are right by the library (although I never had a lecture in there anyway), but there are a few places within a couple of minutes' walk. There's bike parking just by Arts 1, another down at Thomas Paine, CD Annexe, the Bio building and there's a locked cage at the end of the Street with a code entry system. There are probably a few more around.

There actually are some near the lecture theatres; bars at the bottom (the LT3/4 entrance). And there are two by arts 1 as well (one down by postroom, one in a grassy area near registry). So yeah plenty if you fancy biking :smile:

I never had problems finding a space on the few times I biked.

Also, for info, I picked village over ensuite for pretty much the same reasons. It saved money and I also felt like I'd enjoy the 'quieter' element, they just seemed more 'me' :smile:
Original post by Jez RR

Original post by kpwxx
There actually are some near the lecture theatres; bars at the bottom (the LT3/4 entrance). And there are two by arts 1 as well (one down by postroom, one in a grassy area near registry). So yeah plenty if you fancy biking :smile:

I never had problems finding a space on the few times I biked.

Also, for info, I picked village over ensuite for pretty much the same reasons. It saved money and I also felt like I'd enjoy the 'quieter' element, they just seemed more 'me' :smile:

Thanks guys! :biggrin:
Note to self: Don'tgetexcitedaboutUEAwhenyoudon'tknowthatyou'llactuallymeettheoffer... :tongue:
Oh, I can't decide! I'd like to save the £500 pounds that I would get by choosing Wolfson/Orwell close, but I'm worried that it comes with some sacrifice to my social life? I mean, having that extra money would be great, but not if it's at the expense of a favourable social environment?

In contrast, Suffolk/Norfolk terrace seem to have a good reputation for the social side of things, and the views are fantastic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well, the price difference appears to be in the region of £15 a week, which...isn't that much, actually. Mind you, that equates to a crate of beer a week. Hmm...
Original post by Jez RR

Thanks, I picked village for the quite & price, hope I get it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust

Note to self: Don'tgetexcitedaboutUEAwhenyoudon'tknowthatyou'llactuallymeettheoffer... :tongue:

Lol, This but..... I already have my grades, on a gap year :tongue:
Thanks, I picked village for the quite & price, hope I get it :smile:

Yay another villager! :five:
Lol, This but..... I already have my grades, on a gap year :tongue:

Lucky you! I'm jealous! I'm so desperate to start buying things but I can't. :tongue:
Reply 1799
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Prices have now changed, so it would be £200 and £220 respectively :smile:

How come they changed? That extra £10 would've been useful (for an LCR night :P)

Latest

Trending

Trending