The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5900
Original post by glf2110
Take a print out that shows you've applied. That should be enough if they want to see it.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5901
Hey,
Just a quick question about student finance,
Does your parents income include bonuses and overtime?
And does everyone get the same amount of maintenance loan?
Reply 5902
Original post by Jem_x
Hey,

Not sure on the first one.
72% of the maximum maintenance loan is available to everyone regardless of income and the remaining 28% is means-tested. (Apologies if those percentages aren't quite right, but it is something like that)
Reply 5903
said id get my loan on the 20th. still no sign.

got a text saying theyd put it in on the 19th. no sign.

letters saying 20th.

where is it? how long are we talking? i have my induction tommorrow, will that be the reason?
Reply 5904
Original post by PotPon

letters saying 20th.

where is it? how long are we talking? i have my induction tommorrow, will that be the reason?

Your student loan won't arrive until you've registered at your uni. Also, it takes a few days to get into your account from when they send it.
still waiting:s-smilie: I've sent off everythin & got everything back. I applied in july:smile:
Reply 5906
Original post by Jem_x

Original post by Jem_x
Hey,

Yes your parents income includes all bonuses, overtime and also certain benefits if they receive any.
Original post by PotPon

letters saying 20th.

When did your course actually start? You should allow about 3 working days for it to hit your account from confirmation of attendance.
Check your bank account details are correct (online via your SLC account). The SLC did say that they were going to txt people the day before they made the payment into accounts. Sounds as though your uni has confirmed your attendance as you got the txt. Phone up the SLC and ask them what the hold up is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5908
Original post by Jem_x
Hey,

Bonuses and overtime are included and it is income before tax.
So, my application's finally been accepted and I'm due payment for the 26th. I'm yet to have anything come up about my grant, it just says the following;

I'm 100% that I applied for it and wondered if this is typical and if anybody else is getting this?
Reply 5910
replied to this elsewhere.
If your folks didn't send in financial details you won't get it even if you qualify.
Really need advice urgently. :frown: I sent a birth certificate and declaration well over a month ago, heard nothing back from them and had to phone to find out that there was a problem with it and I had to change something on the form.

So I sent the form again, phoned today to ask if they'd received it and they've said it will take 2 weeks to process. But uni starts on Monday, so I won't have the money to pay tuition fees by then.

Does anyone know if unis (specifically UCL) make exceptions for people let down by SFE?

I could send it again but this time recorded delivery, but it's not worth it unless it means they can finalise everything by Monday...
Original post by Maestosa
Really need advice urgently. :frown: I sent a birth certificate and declaration well over a month ago, heard nothing back from them and had to phone to find out that there was a problem with it and I had to change something on the form.

So I sent the form again, phoned today to ask if they'd received it and they've said it will take 2 weeks to process. But uni starts on Monday, so I won't have the money to pay tuition fees by then.

Does anyone know if unis (specifically UCL) make exceptions for people let down by SFE?

I could send it again but this time recorded delivery, but it's not worth it unless it means they can finalise everything by Monday...

Tuition fees don't get paid until the middle of the academic year (i have no idea why) so you don't have to worry about that. Also, the sfe pay them direct to the uni, so you don't have to worry about it until you pay it back :smile:

If you're struggling maintenance loan-wise, I think most unis have an emergency fund for students with urgent funding issues :smile: (also, i think unis will be used to the sfe's incompetence by now, and also you certainly won't be the only one with a problem :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rachel08
Tuition fees don't get paid until the middle of the academic year (i have no idea why) so you don't have to worry about that. Also, the sfe pay them direct to the uni, so you don't have to worry about it until you pay it back :smile:

If you're struggling maintenance loan-wise, I think most unis have an emergency fund for students with urgent funding issues :smile: (also, i think unis will be used to the sfe's incompetence by now, and also you certainly won't be the only one with a problem :smile:)

This is SUCH a relief to hear. Thank you!!

Umm, I was so relieved I hastily tried to click +rep and accidentally negged you. Sorry!!!! :s-smilie: Will compensate for it in due course. <<;
Original post by Maestosa
This is SUCH a relief to hear. Thank you!!

Umm, I was so relieved I hastily tried to click +rep and accidentally negged you. Sorry!!!! :s-smilie: Will compensate for it in due course. <<;

Yeah, my friend just got her payment schedule and she was :lolwut: that the tuition fee doesn't get paid until mid year as well. It is quite odd, but I'm really glad they pay it direct to the uni, not sure i could cope with having to sort that as well as the maintenence!! :tongue:
Original post by Henryyyyy
So, my application's finally been accepted and I'm due payment for the 26th. I'm yet to have anything come up about my grant, it just says the following;

I'm 100% that I applied for it and wondered if this is typical and if anybody else is getting this?

most likely just giving you something to live off, and they will assess you later ... good luck :-D

did you apply with your household income taken into account?
Because from the screenshot it looks like you didn't.
If you want maintenance grant (and possibly higher maintenance loan) you'll need to alter it to take your household income into account.

Mine's like that too I'm meant to get the full loan and grant and everything but my student finance website thing says that my parents haven't supplied evidence of their income yet but they DEFINITELY have.

I had a letter saying I've only been given the basic loan now to make sure I've got some money. They then said that if my parents have given information it will be assessed as quickly as possible and if they haven't given it then I will only be entitled to what's in the letter.

I don't know what to think anymore - I really don't want to ring them up but I want to get this sorted out. Why do they have to wait til my 4th year to **** me over with this rubbish? Idiots.
I have applied for student finance this year and I need some help. I sent off my student finance with all the details online.

I got an email saying I now have to send in proof of identity so I'm going to send off my birth certificate with the appropriate forms.

Am I going to have to send in my parents financial details? I entered them online but I'd like to know if I have to send in my parents financial documents documents to complete the application?

Type Amount requested Amount you're entitled to
Maintenance Loan Maximum £3,727.00
Tuition Fee Loan Maximum £0.00

Is my tuition fee 0 because I have not sent physical copies of my parents financial details?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5919
no everyone is entitled to a tuition fee loan. It isn't means tested. You should have entered the exact amount you wanted to borrow on the form. Its default position is £0. You probably didn't change it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending