The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL medical school term dates?

Prospective applicant and wondering how long the term is for KCL?

Need to know so I know how long to work to fund it
Hi! The med school dates depend on the year of study, but for first year you’d start around the 20th of September for freshers week with a three week break for Christmas in December and a reading week in February iirc. Exams could be at any time in May (when I was a first year they were between the 9th and 12th May). A 40 week contract would more than suffice
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Hi! The med school dates depend on the year of study, but for first year you’d start around the 20th of September for freshers week with a three week break for Christmas in December and a reading week in February iirc. Exams could be at any time in May (when I was a first year they were between the 9th and 12th May). A 40 week contract would more than suffice

probably dumb q but do u mean 40 week work contract or 40 week academic year? also how much is accom? my student finance is low because of parents income and accom already takes it all and then 3.5k. dont really want to work all the time outside of university so i think im going to stay local

also been trying to work it out and even being frugal in london is still not enough but i dont want to compromise my uni experience so probably wont apply
Original post by iamdopamine
probably dumb q but do u mean 40 week work contract or 40 week academic year? also how much is accom? my student finance is low because of parents income and accom already takes it all and then 3.5k. dont really want to work all the time outside of university so i think im going to stay local

also been trying to work it out and even being frugal in london is still not enough but i dont want to compromise my uni experience so probably wont apply

40 week contract (generally from September to June so you could get away with a bit less if you rented privately but student residences only offer 40 or 48 week ones). Academic year is around 34 weeks in first year I think.

Do you not get any financial support from your parents? I think the lower maintenance loan is given under the assumption that your parents top it up with their higher income but I’m not 100% sure. Best of luck with your decision making
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by iamdopamine

If you are applying to KCL and you won’t get much student finance it will be very expensive. Accommodation price in London is very high. You would need to work a lot to pay for accommodation and travel costs.
London is too expensive especially at this time.
Reply 5

I received a message from them saying that the med school dates are more than 40 weeks though?
Original post by nokaneen
I received a message from them saying that the med school dates are more than 40 weeks though?

I mean I can’t speak for future years, but when I was a first year our course went from September 19th to May 12th and now as a second year my MBBS course dates are September 10th to May 29th which are both less than 40 weeks so a forty week contract should be absolutely fine. It will change in the upper years as each year the academic year starts earlier and finishes later but for the first couple of years a 40 week contract will suffice
Reply 7
I mean I can’t speak for future years, but when I was a first year our course went from September 19th to May 12th and now as a second year my MBBS course dates are September 10th to May 29th which are both less than 40 weeks so a forty week contract should be absolutely fine. It will change in the upper years as each year the academic year starts earlier and finishes later but for the first couple of years a 40 week contract will suffice

calm thanks
would u also happen to know abt gdsa like which blocks aren't as spacious as such
calm thanks
would u also happen to know abt gdsa like which blocks aren't as spacious as such

Sure yeah I lived there in first year. Blocks 9 and 10 are the refurbished ones, block 2 is just for under 18s and the rest are about the same. All beds are singles except some in blocks 9 and 10 which are 3/4 doubles
Reply 9
Sure yeah I lived there in first year. Blocks 9 and 10 are the refurbished ones, block 2 is just for under 18s and the rest are about the same. All beds are singles except some in blocks 9 and 10 which are 3/4 doubles

Are the the 3/4th ones you are referring to, the large en-suites or are those different bc I was thinking of getting one but the portal seems to only be releasing 1-5 atm
Are the the 3/4th ones you are referring to, the large en-suites or are those different bc I was thinking of getting one but the portal seems to only be releasing 1-5 atm

I booked a normal en-suite and had a 3/4 double and a giant room. I never saw a large en-suite on the booking system so I’m not sure how many there are and which blocks they’re in. There are some huge rooms in blocks 9 and 10 but they are still listed as normal en-suites

Quick Reply

Latest