The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsmyname
I'm not getting a loan, just the maximum Grant + tuition fee's paid. The SF website says I should've received a letter in February but I didn't get anything

In February they auto rolled over those who applied just for TF Loans and MLoans and these people got letters which auto rolled over their funding. If you applied for means tested or just one of the loans then you have to reapply.
Original post by jayy1994
Im applying for student finance, can i submit my application online then my parents finance details by post or does it all have to be either done by post or online?

You can do yours online and then your parents can submit their details on a PFF2 form.
Reply 6642
I am seriously just having trouble trying to make an application; I've gone through all my details and I'm just on contact details doing the second contact. But I have no idea when I am supposed to submit evidence? My dad tried to do his forms but it said he wasn't connected with anyone to student finance- how do you get your dad connected to your student finance? ;-;
Reply 6643
Question: I'm on a gap year, and have been rejected from all my choices :biggrin: But I'm planning to get a place through Clearing. Can I (and if so, when) apply for student finance?
Reply 6644
I did my Student Finance but haven't sent proof yet, but I was rejected from the uni I wanted to go to and might go through Clearing. What do I do now? The deadline is soon, end of May?
Original post by Aarroonnn
everytime i go to check the offer theyve made me it keeps saying error. why? is there anything i can do besides calling them?

Same thing happens to me every time :frown:
I posted this twice on this thread by got no reply :/
I havent been asked for any financial evidence is this right?
Also the loan they are giving me means minus my accommodation fees (of which i chose the cheapest possible at manchester) i am left with £11 a week to live on. My parents aren't giving me any money, how can this be right, should i just kill myself now seeing as i'm going to starve to death anyway............
Original post by mariejulian
I havent been asked for any financial evidence is this right?
Also the loan they are giving me means minus my accommodation fees (of which i chose the cheapest possible at manchester) i am left with £11 a week to live on. My parents aren't giving me any money, how can this be right, should i just kill myself now seeing as i'm going to starve to death anyway............

And you've explained this to your parents and they're still not prepared to help? Ouch 1. Got any money in the bank? 2. You're going to need a job while at uni. 3. Make use of the interest free overdraft if you get paid for your job after u need to pay for accom.
I.know it's tough but if they won't help that's all u can do :-/
On my mum's account, every time I go to click the print button in regards to sending off evidence, it says there is an error with the application despite all the boxes being ticked green. The only thing I can think off that is wrong with it is that my mum sent off the financial evidence last year when my brother went to uni however it is still asking for it again. I know this isn't a good explanation of what's wrong but any help is appreciated as I don't want to ring up student finance due to the expense :/
Reply 6649
Does anyone know what happens after you submit your application by paper form? How long does it take for them to reply to me?
Hi everyone, I need some help with student finance and it would be great if someone could help out, so basically, I'm in the middle of applying online and when it comes to my father's details, it says this:

Your father may already exist as customer with student finance.

Select continue and enter their Customer Reference Number

although the only person that has been to uni recently was my mum but this was 10 years ago, are my parents supposed to remember their customer ref number?
Really stuck and don't know what to do,

also do you need to firm before completing Student Finance and has everyone applied for a student bank account???
Reply 6651
If he has previously had an account he will have to use that account; you can't make a new one.

You can apply to the uni you think you'll most likely go to - just let them know if it changes, asap.

I believe you will not be able to apply for a student bank account just yet - the new year's offers comes out around the Summer.
Thank you so much for your reply, but can my parents not register and support a full-time student finance application as theyre new parents to student finance? I'm unsure whether they have the details to student finance as they had to have a paper form because my mother went applied to uni 10 years ago
Original post by Inspire12
Hi everyone, I need some help with student finance and it would be great if someone could help out, so basically, I'm in the middle of applying online and when it comes to my father's details, it says this:

Your father may already exist as customer with student finance.

Select continue and enter their Customer Reference Number

although the only person that has been to uni recently was my mum but this was 10 years ago, are my parents supposed to remember their customer ref number?
Really stuck and don't know what to do,

also do you need to firm before completing Student Finance and has everyone applied for a student bank account???

I had the same problem with both of my parents. They were on the system from when my brother applied 5-7 years ago, but had no details or emails registered on the system. Phone up Student Finance, they had to speak to both of my parents. Had both ref numbers given over the phone, and then they entered an email address for both (make sure you have a couple ready. Make temporary ones if one/both parents dont have emails :smile: ) & emailed a reset password & secret answer for both :smile:

I've got two problems now. The first is that we chose to add my mothers supporting application seperatly. It said it has emailed her about what to do, however, no email has arrived...signing on to her account & choosing the support application option doesn't give the option to support mine, while on my application, it does say they're now linked? :confused:

The second problem, or at least, I'm not sure if it's a problem or not. On the breakdown at the end, I get:

Maintenance Loan £3,575.00

Tuition Fee Loan £9,000.00

But no maintenance grant ? :confused: The household income entered so far is around 26k, so surley thats not too much not to get the grant ? Or doesn't the grant show on here? :s-smilie:
Reply 6654
Original post by Inspire12
Thank you so much for your reply, but can my parents not register and support a full-time student finance application as theyre new parents to student finance? I'm unsure whether they have the details to student finance as they had to have a paper form because my mother went applied to uni 10 years ago

You'll have to call SF I'm afraid. You can only have one account.
Reply 6655
Original post by Fenrirs_space
I had the same problem with both of my parents. They were on the system from when my brother applied 5-7 years ago, but had no details or emails registered on the system. Phone up Student Finance, they had to speak to both of my parents. Had both ref numbers given over the phone, and then they entered an email address for both (make sure you have a couple ready. Make temporary ones if one/both parents dont have emails :smile: ) & emailed a reset password & secret answer for both :smile:

I've got two problems now. The first is that we chose to add my mothers supporting application seperatly. It said it has emailed her about what to do, however, no email has arrived...signing on to her account & choosing the support application option doesn't give the option to support mine, while on my application, it does say they're now linked? :confused:

The second problem, or at least, I'm not sure if it's a problem or not. On the breakdown at the end, I get:

Maintenance Loan £3,575.00

Tuition Fee Loan £9,000.00

But no maintenance grant ? :confused: The household income entered so far is around 26k, so surley thats not too much not to get the grant ? Or doesn't the grant show on here? :s-smilie:

Those amounts are the basic loan amounts non-income assessed. You need to ring student finance and make sure you're applying for income-assessed.
Reply 6656
Original post by Radekal
Question: I'm on a gap year, and have been rejected from all my choices :biggrin: But I'm planning to get a place through Clearing. Can I (and if so, when) apply for student finance?

Anyone?
Original post by alibee
Those amounts are the basic loan amounts non-income assessed. You need to ring student finance and make sure you're applying for income-assessed.

Ah ok, um, third time I've had to ring them now. Gotta say the online system is rubbish :tongue: Cheers :smile:

Any idea on my other problem ?
The first is that we chose to add my mothers supporting application seperatly. It said it has emailed her about what to do, however, no email has arrived...signing on to her account & choosing the support application option doesn't give the option to support mine, while on my application, it does say they're now linked?
:s-smilie:

Or, another phone job ? :tongue:
Reply 6658
Original post by Fenrirs_space
Ah ok, um, third time I've had to ring them now. Gotta say the online system is rubbish :tongue: Cheers :smile:

Any idea on my other problem ? :s-smilie:

Or, another phone job ? :tongue:

Erm I'm sorry I'm independent and have never had to muck about linking applications. I guess if you've given it a while to update and it still won't link properly you will need to call them.

Thinking about it though, if you're yet to provide your mum's income it probably makes sense that you're assessed for minimum loan until information about your mum is processed.
Reply 6659
they expect my parents to contribute 1,416 to my living costs. but because my brothers are at uni too its 462. but still the only money I'll get is at Christmas and Birthday like who doesnt? I wouldnt expect my parents to give me 462 or1,416. there'll probably be a time when us middle class (i think the term is- didnt do sociology) wont afford it even if we get AAA A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending