The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
magiccarpet
sort of tru. i had strict parents so never have had alchol sex or tacky revealing clothes.but if kids grow up surounded by this stuff, they will want it.

Not really.
I went to a couple bad schools. Most of the girls would brag about their sex life, or would be pregnant. I certainly didn't want to be pregnant, nor have an open sex life.
A lot of them took drugs (pills mainly) I never wanted and never want to touch pills.
If a child is brought up well, taught to form their own opinions and the difference between right from wrong with reasonable morals (obviously the morals are subjective) Then I see no serious harm that the society can do.

If a child can feel comfortable talking to a parent about something then they are likely to tell their parents things. Like their friends doing drugs. I can't mention drugs around my Dad, especially if connected to my friends as he would stop me seeing them. However my Mum is different. I can tell her about it and she trusts me not to get involved.
That is what is needed.
Whilst I completely agree that it is shocking and - in my view - totally unacceptable that so many 10 and 11 year old girls wander around in heels and miniskirts, the reality is that until very recently in human history there was no "teenage years". You reached sexual maturity - i.e. periods and that was it, you were an adult. Most girls were married off by the age of 13.

However disgusting this may be (and I do think it is disgusting), this is how it has worked for a very long time and still does in many parts of the world. The best thing we can do is try and educate children and parents through sex education in schools. In my opinion, sex education should be comprehensive and mandatory - I comkpletely and utterly disagree with the right of parents to remove their kids from sex education.

As for trying to change culture, it won't happen. While however many millions of people go out every day/week and buy FHM etc it'll stay the same.
the only sex ed i had at my comprehensive school never taught me about stds. i am 19 and i still dono anything :frown: so no sex is safe sex
Reply 43
When i was at school i was taught lots about sex and how important protection is, also my parents are very open with me when it comes to teaching me how important thing like that are and how my life would be if i wasnt careful. Ithink that schools and parents have a big influence in what teenagers do so as much as possible should be taught in school. :tsr:

Latest

Trending

Trending