The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im good at english and history but really bad at maths. so will i be good at law? i hope so.
Reply 21
Thanx for ur replies, ur given me a sound (tryin in get in2 the vibes of law); introduction on what i shud expect!
@ kingslaw i agree wiv u on what u sed about A level law it is v.much like as how u described so im goin wiv ur word on wat to expect on my degree course; but it still seems really fun; n i cant wait!!! I know what u mean about things 'clickin'; i love those moments; it tends to motivate me! Neway keep replyin ppl!
and thanx again!
p.s hope i get a 1st! lol!
Reply 22
Lillith Grimore
I think that Critical Thinking (if you're lucky enough to be offered it) has a lot to do with law - breaking down arguments, seeing what's wrong with them and constructing much sounder ones for yourself. I mean, who wouldn't love to stand up in court and announce "Objection! Tu Quoque!" (it's a flaw...I think...)

oh god ... that flaw ... i cant even remember which one it means. Critical thinking helps alot more. I dropped AS Law because my teacher was through a webcam and 1 hour a week wasn't enough for me. I then picked up Critical thinking and found it alot more better, nothing to revise just skills you need to use and remember a few stupid words .. Ad hominem ... why cant they use English? lol.

Ems x
Emsy
oh god ... that flaw ... i cant even remember which one it means. Critical thinking helps alot more. I dropped AS Law because my teacher was through a webcam and 1 hour a week wasn't enough for me. I then picked up Critical thinking and found it alot more better, nothing to revise just skills you need to use and remember a few stupid words .. Ad hominem ... why cant they use English? lol.

Because the Latin is equally simple to remember and gets you in the frame of mind to use them. Which is especially useful if you are going to study law or philosophy (or both :biggrin: ), since you'll be coming across lots of Latin bits in those subjects anyway.

Don't fear the crinkly Latin bits. Just use it to make yourself look smart. :smile:
Reply 24
tommorris
Because the Latin is equally simple to remember and gets you in the frame of mind to use them. Which is especially useful if you are going to study law or philosophy (or both :biggrin: ), since you'll be coming across lots of Latin bits in those subjects anyway.

Don't fear the crinkly Latin bits. Just use it to make yourself look smart. :smile:

Also, it's much more succint. It's much easier in an exam to write, for example, "ceteris paribus" rather than "all other things being equal", or "inter alia" rather than "amongst other things"...
Reply 25
muncrun
Also, it's much more succint. It's much easier in an exam to write, for example, "ceteris paribus" rather than "all other things being equal", or "inter alia" rather than "amongst other things"...

tommorris

True true, :smile:
Reply 26
P.s. Has anyone thought of doing a Critical Thinking society? I haven't seen one on here yet ...
Critical thinking is a skill rather than a subject.

(Discuss. :tongue:)
LadyNamibia
it seems as though many ppl (uni counsellors, teachers) encourage students to do history at a level if they want to read law at uni. How similar are these two subjects in terms of levels of analysis, essay writing skills etc...???

In my experience A2 history (not AS really) is undoubtedly the most useful subject you can study for law. The analysis of sources and historian's opinions teaches fundamentally exactly the same skills that are needed for analysing cases - if you can write a good analytical history essay, then you can write a law essay on pretty much the same lines.

A-level law by contrast, is pretty useless for actually doing the subject at undergraduate level - the (essentially background) information it teaches is helpful, but it doesn't make you any better a lawyer than the next man.
Reply 29
In my experience A2 history (not AS really) is undoubtedly the most useful subject you can study for law. The analysis of sources and historian's opinions teaches fundamentally exactly the same skills that are needed for analysing cases - if you can write a good analytical history essay, then you can write a law essay on pretty much the same lines.

And English Literature
Reply 30
woohoo. *does english lit and history*

Latest

Trending

Trending