The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Meteorshower
I think that's a slight understatement to say the least :p: What you study doesn't necessarily change that much but there's far more depth at say advanced higher than higher.

I'm finding AH to just be different material to higher, than than being 'harder'. AH seems to be more about applying info from higher than going further into processes; it's not as detailed as you'd want it to be, when it starts to get interesting I run into another '...but this is beyond the scope of advanced higher chemistry'
yosrush
You're making higher chemistry seem like an art. :s-smilie: There doesn't seem to be much difference between the style of questions asked year in, year out, heck, around 30 of the questions for multiple choice in the higher paper I did (2008) were lifted straight off previous years, with no change, not even order of A,B,C,D... the SQA exam system is flawed...

Exaggeration. Plus, the exam system is not flawed, there is only so much you can examine. Only so much of the course to learn. They would have to keep changing the course in order to change the exam.
yosrush
You're making higher chemistry seem like an art. :s-smilie: There doesn't seem to be much difference between the style of questions asked year in, year out, heck, around 30 of the questions for multiple choice in the higher paper I did (2008) were lifted straight off previous years, with no change, not even order of A,B,C,D... the SQA exam system is flawed...

This is outright false. There was 3 or 4.
yosrush
I'm finding AH to just be different material to higher, than than being 'harder'. AH seems to be more about applying info from higher than going further into processes; it's not as detailed as you'd want it to be, when it starts to get interesting I run into another '...but this is beyond the scope of advanced higher chemistry'

That it's not as detailed as you want it to be just indicates you are finding it easy and are interested in the subject. Further reading can easily satisfy your curiosity in this regard. Of course some people are going to find the course easy, but there are a lot of people who find it difficult aswell so I hardly see how the SQA are failing with that.
Reply 24
Meteorshower
This is outright false. There was 3 or 4.

I recognised too many of them, but then again I went pretty far back in the years of past papers; something most people probably didn't bother with.

I think we've gotten a bit too off topic here anyway, can we just agree that Higher chemistry is a little harder than biology, but neither are all that difficult if you put your mind to it...? :wink:
yosrush

I think we've gotten a bit too off topic here anyway, can we just agree that Higher chemistry is a little harder than biology, but neither are all that difficult if you put your mind to it...? :wink:

Agreedio :biggrin:
yosrush
I recognised too many of them, but then again I went pretty far back in the years of past papers; something most people probably didn't bother with.

How far? I went to 1999... I highly doubt there were 26 more beyond that that you did.

I couldn't say which is harder really. Probably different from one person to the next.
Reply 27
I would say chemistry is harder, but then i didnt do standard grade so i cant really compare it to biology as ive pretty much had to learn 3 years of chem in one. Neither are to tricky though... cant wait for advanced higher :frown:
Reply 28
Personally I found biology slightly more difficult due to the bulk of content required. Chemistry is not all that difficult if you're good at subjects such as physics or maths, and have a reasonable ability to remember knowledge.

Having taken all three sciences, I thought Biology and Chemistry were about equal.
Reply 29
Does anyone know the grade break down at AH? (chem and bio)
They'll have them on SQA website.
Reply 31
Kieran578
Does anyone know the grade break down at AH? (chem and bio)

20% investigation, 80% exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending