The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which is why Edinburgh (and many others) almost always demand long term volunteer work for entry! Shadowing an HCA in first year as Wangers suggests would be redundant if this kind of thing is required for admission. And obviously isn't enough to stop some people changing their mind later on.
Reply 21
michaela_banana
Which is why Edinburgh (and many others) almost always demand long term volunteer work for entry! Shadowing an HCA in first year as Wangers suggests would be redundant if this kind of thing is required for admission. And obviously isn't enough to stop some people changing their mind later on.

Oh I don't want them to shadow a HCA, I want them to be a HCA!
Wangers
You know, sometimes I think instead of PDS, fresher medics should be paid to do a morning of HCAing a week, it helps out with NHS staffing, it forces you to communicate, and it lets those who may not find themselves suited to the environment an early out option with grace.

HCAing ftw. Defs about communication, experience & environment...

More than a morning a week - work fulltime all shifts - very early starts, long days, nights. Can see what HCAs and nurses really have to do!

Not sure about motvation :wink:

----

Volunteer work and shadowing are not the same as actually working as an HCA and being part of the team. You need to work full time and be treated as an HCA, not as a medical student shadowing someone.
No Future
HCAing ftw. Defs about communication, experience & environment...

More than a morning a week - work fulltime all shifts - very early starts, long days, nights. Can see what HCAs and nurses really have to do!

Not sure about motvation :wink:

----

Volunteer work and shadowing are not the same as actually working as an HCA and being part of the team. You need to work full time and be treated as an HCA, not as a medical student shadowing someone.

Frankly I'd sooner smoke my own toenails.
terpineol
Frankly I'd sooner smoke my own toenails.

It's a paid job and get to see old colleagues, so yeah it's not bad actually. Can be damn hard work though
No Future
It's a paid job and get to see old colleagues, so yeah it's not bad actually. Can be damn hard work though

Money always helps, meeting up with old colleagues is also generally nice.

The idea of doing HCA shifts as a compulsory part of medical school though seems completely and utterly ridiculous to me. The only plus side to it I can think of would be the money, which one can assume they would remove if working was compulsory for progression along ones course.
terpineol
Money always helps, meeting up with old colleagues is also generally nice.

The idea of doing HCA shifts as a compulsory part of medical school though seems completely and utterly ridiculous to me. The only plus side to it I can think of would be the money, which one can assume they would remove if working was compulsory for progression along ones course.

Oh no, I wouldn't say make it compulsory, but strongly advise/suggest it.

Though it certainly doesn't motivate me, except that I don't want to be an HCA for the rest of my life!
Wangers
Oh I don't want them to shadow a HCA, I want them to be a HCA!

My bad, I did understand, just brain and hands thinking different things. I agree with terp, it would be daft - this is something you should have done before entry. The university has better things to do than organise a job for students. It wouldn't be paid - there would be far too much admin there what with international students/tax/HCA unions complaining we were "stealing" work.
Reply 28
michaela_banana
My bad, I did understand, just brain and hands thinking different things. I agree with terp, it would be daft - this is something you should have done before entry. The university has better things to do than organise a job for students. It wouldn't be paid - there would be far too much admin there what with international students/tax/HCA unions complaining we were "stealing" work.

You wouldn't be stealing work - some wards survive on HCAs. Just sign them up the the Trust staff bank office. Sorted.
Reply 29
I really enjoy my HCA job but only because it is totally flexible. I pick up when and where I want to work. Some of the shifts I would be quite happy to have done free of charge as I have learned loads in the process. I work mainly on surgical admissions and occasionally renal dialysis. I enjoy the more technical side of HCAing (obs, bloods, ECGs, setting up equipment or even stock management) and I am good at it. If I was forced to work on a ward where I would have to do washes, changes and feeds all day long I think it would drive me crazy.
//creeps back into forum that is not for her...

terpineol
The only plus side to it I can think of would be the money
I fail to see how being an HCA could deplete your knowledge - it can only add to it. I've learned an awful lot about patients' hour-by-hour experience in the hospital (which you cannot possibly have time to do as a doctor) through being there with them, and what aspects of their stay are really important to them. If you do a lot of hours, you also get an excellent idea of how difficult it is to stay on your feet, keep going and motivated all day!! I've also smelt every kind of poo, seen every kind of gory wound, and been subject to the breath of someone with oral thrush (which was actually the nastiest thing I've ever smelt, even topping C. Diff), and eaten food whilst talking about stoma bags - my stomach is now sturdy :biggrin: You learn a lot about that horrible word 'communication': how to make someone feel more at ease and more comfortable, and how to explain things to them in a way that they will understand. It's amazing actually how little most 70+ year olds know about human biology - a lady I looked after last week didn't understand why she needed to keep her oxygen mask on, because she didn't know what oxygen is and why it's necessary. A lot of the time I feel patients aren't *really* giving informed consent because they haven't understood what the doctor has said, and they don't want to ask again (this is another "little old lady" phenomenon).

Working on surgical wards, I've met a lot of doctors who just seem to choose to ignore the human element of their profession. One doctor made two patients cry in a day, first by telling a 17 year old boy very tactlessly and abruptly that he might lose his leg, when no such possibility had been mentioned to him before, and then he disappeared off without giving the patient a chance to ask what he meant. Then he went and started throwing a patients' broken leg about like he didn't give two monkeys that he would hurt the patient. But because he's a doctor he gets to disappear off the ward and ignore the fact he's just left his patients confused, in pain, and in tears. I'd like to see him try that as an HCA then have to stay around and be with those patients for the rest of the shift. But then maybe that's why he's a surgeon :smile:

I think HCAing should be incorporated in a medical degree or requirement for admission somehow, but as everyone else has already pointed out this is logistically very difficult. I suppose a useful addition to this discussion would be input from someone who did HCAing and is now a doctor - who knows, they might think it was pointless! terpineol - I believe I've read somewhere you're not planning to go on and do clinical? If I've got that correct, do you think taking a gap year and being an HCA might have changed your mind about doing medicine before you started? Or is it some other element that has put you off?
LatinMachine

I fail to see how being an HCA could deplete your knowledge - it can only add to it. I've learned an awful lot about patients' hour-by-hour experience in the hospital (which you cannot possibly have time to do as a doctor) through being there with them, and what aspects of their stay are really important to them. If you do a lot of hours, you also get an excellent idea of how difficult it is to stay on your feet, keep going and motivated all day!! I've also smelt every kind of poo, seen every kind of gory wound, and been subject to the breath of someone with oral thrush (which was actually the nastiest thing I've ever smelt, even topping C. Diff), and eaten food whilst talking about stoma bags - my stomach is now sturdy :biggrin: You learn a lot about that horrible word 'communication': how to make someone feel more at ease and more comfortable, and how to explain things to them in a way that they will understand. It's amazing actually how little most 70+ year olds know about human biology - a lady I looked after last week didn't understand why she needed to keep her oxygen mask on, because she didn't know what oxygen is and why it's necessary. A lot of the time I feel patients aren't *really* giving informed consent because they haven't understood what the doctor has said, and they don't want to ask again (this is another "little old lady" phenomenon).

Working on surgical wards, I've met a lot of doctors who just seem to choose to ignore the human element of their profession. One doctor made two patients cry in a day, first by telling a 17 year old boy very tactlessly and abruptly that he might lose his leg, when no such possibility had been mentioned to him before, and then he disappeared off without giving the patient a chance to ask what he meant. Then he went and started throwing a patients' broken leg about like he didn't give two monkeys that he would hurt the patient. But because he's a doctor he gets to disappear off the ward and ignore the fact he's just left his patients confused, in pain, and in tears. I'd like to see him try that as an HCA then have to stay around and be with those patients for the rest of the shift. But then maybe that's why he's a surgeon :smile:

I think HCAing should be incorporated in a medical degree or requirement for admission somehow, but as everyone else has already pointed out this is logistically very difficult. I suppose a useful addition to this discussion would be input from someone who did HCAing and is now a doctor - who knows, they might think it was pointless! terpineol - I believe I've read somewhere you're not planning to go on and do clinical? If I've got that correct, do you think taking a gap year and being an HCA might have changed your mind about doing medicine before you started? Or is it some other element that has put you off?

A cracking response I must say.

In short I have to say that in principal I agree with everything you have put, though I personally think that less than 5% of my year would touch HCAing with a barge pole for exactly the reasons you have listed.

The main thing that has made me reconsider medicine was sitting down with a calculator, looking at the current cost of living, then looking at medical earnings. The second most important factor would be meeting the working class (and most of the middle class are as bad) and deciding that frankly I couldn't give a rats arse about their quality of life.

Now I could stand the second point, if the earnings were better, if I didn't find the second point to be an issue, the first point probably wouldn't be an issue.

At present I plan to do clinicals (though I have been seriously pondering not doing so) on the off chance that I have a massive change of heart, and because the economy is a nasty place at the moment.

I don't think doing a year as an HCA would have changed anything, I did enjoy the voluntary work side of things, and I would probably have got quite a lot out of a year HCAing. The flip point so to speak was probably one of those horrible 'one day I hope to be a father, do I want this setting for my children' moments. If there was no chance of me reproducing I would probably carry on with medicine no problem.

The issue of consent is interesting, though you raise a good point, we actually have to get adequately informed consent. To get full consent would take weeks of lecturing, and is totally impossible. Its a shame it leads to such problems, and I appreciate that its problematic in some cases, but I fail to see how its avoidable.

(as for the creeping into forums that aren't yours, if you are going to post in such a thought out and sensible manner, nobody is going to mind)
terpineol

(as for the creeping into forums that aren't yours, if you are going to post in such a thought out and sensible manner, nobody is going to mind)

I quite agree.
Wangers
You know, sometimes I think instead of PDS, fresher medics should be paid to do a morning of HCAing a week, it helps out with NHS staffing, it forces you to communicate, and it lets those who may not find themselves suited to the environment an early out option with grace.

I disagree, we had this bank HCA on the ward earlier this week who was a med student at nottingham, and they didn't spend any time doing what they were meant to do i think they changed one bed and even then the sister had to re-do the corners as all they'd done was tuck it in, instead we found them chatting to the doctors in the office and seemed to forget they were here to do a HCA job; and its not medical work experience..plus they got in a huff when they weren't allowed to do bm's, ecg's etc or make decisions on when obs should be done (they went round decided when it should be done on their bay; ie a patient should be QDS when infact they were hypertensive and tachy and should have been one hourly) to sum up..some people get too big for their boots and don't like being taken down a peg- but its those people who can't hack that who probably shouldn't be in medicine!

the best medics I know are the ones who used to be HCA's or spend time helping the nursing or AHP's when on the ward and they have nothing to do
LatinMachine

I agree/disagree...

instead i think in the first 3 years of a medical degree you should spend placements with different members of the MDT, for example nursing staff, dieticians, physios etc. As a nurse its helped me loads to spend time with them and appreciate the knowledge they have and gave me a lot of respect for them
Subcutaneous
I agree/disagree...

instead i think in the first 3 years of a medical degree you should spend placements with different members of the MDT, for example nursing staff, dieticians, physios etc. As a nurse its helped me loads to spend time with them and appreciate the knowledge they have and gave me a lot of respect for them

In no way do I mean this as an attack on physios, nurses, pharmacists (who actually are good fun), etc but...

We spend an afternoon a fortnight on such placements.

It only seems to fuel resentment that we loose our lunchbreak and 5 hours of useful time to watch a nurse taking blood all afternoon.

If one tries to ask questions along the lines of "why are you doing that", or "is that because of..." or even "why do you not..." you only ever seem to get a grunt and "its your job to know that, we just do it because its what you do" back.

Naturally this has left many of us with the impression that nurses etc are semi pre programmed robots with no capacity for independent thought or reason.

I really do hope I'm horribly wrong in that conclusion, but thus far that is all such placements have taught me (aside from marginally improving my tea making technique).
terpineol
In no way do I mean this as an attack on physios, nurses, pharmacists (who actually are good fun), etc but...

We spend an afternoon a fortnight on such placements.

It only seems to fuel resentment that we loose our lunchbreak and 5 hours of useful time to watch a nurse taking blood all afternoon.

If one tries to ask questions along the lines of "why are you doing that", or "is that because of..." or even "why do you not..." you only ever seem to get a grunt and "its your job to know that, we just do it because its what you do" back.

Naturally this has left many of us with the impression that nurses etc are semi pre programmed robots with no capacity for independent thought or reason.

I really do hope I'm horribly wrong in that conclusion, but thus far that is all such placements have taught me (aside from marginally improving my tea making technique).

lol you're clearly going to the wrong place then! If a med student wants to watch or help me do something, i'm always happy to help; and if i have a question for them they tell me; for example a doctor took me round to see a patient who'd had a heart transplant, and explained about the immuno drugs and all that to me

We do have the program for independant thought...although sometimes it feels like we're not meant too due to stupid policies etc

why don't you try and organise some time outside of your work to do it yourself, for example go see some palliative nursing in a hospice? Would really help communication

and pharmacists...FUN?! are we on the right planet..
Reply 37
We did some plecements of this sort in 3rd year. My experience was that they vary in quality. We were lucky to be offered a great selection of different placements to choose from. I was careful what to pick and have got quite a bit out of it. For example I have learnt how to examine diabetic feet properly and did an intermidiate level smoking cassation course. I have spent a day with phlebotomist but rather then observe her I was taking bloods myself. She watched me for a first few and then just let me get on with it making herself available to advice if I got stuck. By the end of the day I felt much more confident at venopuncture and I still use all the handy tips she had given me. Some people had absolutely awful time though being expected for example to stack up shelves all day long on their pharmacy plecement.

We spend a week with nurses at the start of the first year. I was lucky that sister quickly realised that after 2 years of HCAing my bed making skills were fine art and that I was perfectly competent at washing and feeding and allowed me to take part in drug rounds, prepering IVs etc instead which again was very useful.
belis
We did some plecements of this sort in 3rd year. My experience was that they vary in quality. We were lucky to be offered a great selection of different placements to choose from. I was careful what to pick and have got quite a bit out of it. For example I have learnt how to examine diabetic feet properly and did an intermidiate level smoking cassation course. I have spent a day with phlebotomist but rather then observe her I was taking bloods myself. She watched me for a first few and then just let me get on with it making herself available to advice if I got stuck. By the end of the day I felt much more confident at venopuncture and I still use all the handy tips she had given me. Some people had absolutely awful time though being expected for example to stack up shelves all day long on their pharmacy plecement.

We spend a week with nurses at the start of the first year. I was lucky that sister quickly realised that after 2 years of HCAing my bed making skills were fine art and that I was perfectly competent at washing and feeding and allowed me to take part in drug rounds, prepering IVs etc instead which again was very useful.

That sounds good. I spent a really good time on a cardac rehab unit nurse led with physios, dieticians..etc and it was so useful; i got to go on a trampaline as an example of heart rate during excercise!

Problem is for me if i want to spend time with other professions i have to organise it myself; which is alright i guess..

I dont think my next 3 placements will be that useful regarding seeing other professions but hey ho!
Subcutaneous

and pharmacists...FUN?! are we on the right planet..

Maybe that comes down more to the fact that we seem to study the same things to a great extent, and thus have far more to talk about of note to actually learning anything of use.

They are also the only people ever to have given us things to do aside from make tea and sit in corner. (Even if it is only putting together prescriptions).

They answer questions if you are struggling to get your head round the exact mechanism of the dangers of digoxin, or can't remember which receptor is tickled by hycosine, they give you antihistamines for random rashes, and best of all, they replace the copy of the BNF you lost in the pub one day with another one.

Admittedly I would hate to actually do pharmacology, but as placements they seem of far more use in my experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending