The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You could check out the aqa website, although I expect you already have. www.sparknotes.com has some fantastic revision notes for English AS and I think they cater for English GCSE as well. I did Lit and Lang AQA GCSE. They were my best subjects, so if you wanted to ask me anything feel free to PM me or ask on this thread :smile:
Are you still allowed to make notes in your Anthologies book for aqa English Literature?

I just searched for all the poems etc on google and I found sites where it had loads of notes on them all and I just copied the notes down..

In Language there wasn't much I could do in terms of preparation really, except expand my vocabluary XD
Still got A*A* though :cool:
Reply 3
From 2005 onwards, you are not allowed to bring an annotated copy of the Anthology. You will get a clean copy in the exam.

The only way to revise for english is to do past papers and revise the notes made in class in the anthology.
Reply 4
trev
From 2005 onwards, you are not allowed to bring an annotated copy of the Anthology. You will get a clean copy in the exam.

The only way to revise for english is to do past papers and revise the notes made in class in the anthology.

:frown: :frown: i know.
Reply 5
*Bethany*
You could check out the aqa website, although I expect you already have. www.sparknotes.com has some fantastic revision notes for English AS and I think they cater for English GCSE as well. I did Lit and Lang AQA GCSE. They were my best subjects, so if you wanted to ask me anything feel free to PM me or ask on this thread :smile:

wow. sparknotes is an awesome site for revising.yay.thank you!!! :smile:
english lit....know your 12 key poems fully and have some 'insurance policies' for back up, revise the annotation around these poems fully and also if you are doing short stories or a novel once again learn the annotated notes best revision for english lit...or make up ya own notes on each e.g. like iambic pentameter... or colloquialism

english language.. learn how to persuade, disagree, or advise as this is mainly what paper 1 is on also.. learn the whole of cluster one and once again another couple of 'insurance policies', learn annotation and make up ya own notes...

thats the best advice i can give ya and good luck :smile: xoxo
Reply 7
IZZY!
wow. sparknotes is an awesome site for revising.yay.thank you!!! :smile:

no problem :smile: I think it's really fabulous; haven't had to revise English before but this year am doing Chaucer which I needed some help with, and the notes are great.

Which texts and poems are you studying?
Reply 9
*Bethany*
no problem :smile: I think it's really fabulous; haven't had to revise English before but this year am doing Chaucer which I needed some help with, and the notes are great.

Which texts and poems are you studying?

I tried that site when I'm stuck doing novel stuff in year 11. It's good for chapter summaries and analysis. However, when I search for some books, it's not even on that website. :frown:
Reply 10
For those doing English GCSE this year I would recommened using York Notes for the poems (different cultures etc). They give advice and explain the poems well, really helping me out this year as im not very good at English, but my grades are gradually going up with class tests.
trev
I tried that site when I'm stuck doing novel stuff in year 11. It's good for chapter summaries and analysis. However, when I search for some books, it's not even on that website. :frown:

Actually, I think you were the one who recommended that site to me...:biggrin: thanks it's great! Yeah unfortunately it doesn't have all the texts, but better some than none I say.

I don't like study guides like York notes personally... but loads of people in my class have got them and it works for some people, just not me!
Reply 12
*Bethany*
Actually, I think you were the one who recommended that site to me...:biggrin: thanks it's great! Yeah unfortunately it doesn't have all the texts, but better some than none I say.

I don't like study guides like York notes personally... but loads of people in my class have got them and it works for some people, just not me!

I found the same with people in my class, they dont find it effective when revising. It helps me thou!!!
WantA*
I found the same with people in my class, they dont find it effective when revising. It helps me thou!!!

Well in the end everyone's different so just do whatever helps you! I can't use those guides at all though; usually the only way I can revise English is to re-read the text slowly and with an analytical cap on :wink: before the exam. Except I'm going to have to research Chaucer, because it's the only text I am studying that I don't feel passionate about :frown:
Reply 14
*Bethany*
Well in the end everyone's different so just do whatever helps you! I can't use those guides at all though; usually the only way I can revise English is to re-read the text slowly and with an analytical cap on :wink: before the exam. Except I'm going to have to research Chaucer, because it's the only text I am studying that I don't feel passionate about :frown:

Ill have to re-read (I have read it twice now) "Of Mice and Men" by JOHN STIENBECK which is seroiusly boring! Well its going to be in the exam so I have to learn it, unless I wanna fail, which obviously I dont!
WantA*
Ill have to re-read (I have read it twice now) "Of Mice and Men" by JOHN STIENBECK which is seroiusly boring! Well its going to be in the exam so I have to learn it, unless I wanna fail, which obviously I dont!

I was lucky cause we got the choice of short stories or a novel :biggrin: im doing the short stories :smile: xoxo
Reply 16
I remember for the poetry question in Eng Lit, I just flicked from poem to poem copying out my notes. Was fun. But AS, you get a poem and then have to compare with it another from memory, AH!
Reply 17
tammy_girl
I was lucky cause we got the choice of short stories or a novel :biggrin: im doing the short stories :smile: xoxo

loll, yea that is lucky!
WantA*
loll, yea that is lucky!

LOL the other english lit class has to do 'Of mice and Men' though :P short stories are for more interesting anyway...love 'Chemistry' :smile: xoxo
Reply 19
*Bethany*

Really, I didn't know I recommended it to you. Must have forgotten. :p:

There are plenty of sites that are similar to 'sparknotes.com' though. Therefore, you might find a book that might be on another website and not on sparknotes.com. However, those sites make you lazy and don't want to read the book. :frown: :redface:

By the way, post the website of the 'York' notes, so other people can have a look.

Latest

Trending

Trending