The Student Room Group

What could I do for a Extended project (studing modern languages and eng lit)

I want to do the extended project but my college only has 60 places so in 100 words we have to write a proposal to do one, but I am not sure on what to do.

I am studying AS french, spanish, english lit, law, philosophy and general studies and I am dropping general studies and philosophy

I was thinking of writing an essay (5000 words) that linked english lit and french and/ or spanish.

I was thinking about secularism in france or the arab influence in spain but it is not really anything different and I am sure there is already loads of things on that

I am hoping to appy to Oxford to do french and spanish so I was thinking about something to do with french and/ or spanish literature

Any ideas????
Hey, I was in pretty much the same situation as you - however I have just completed the whole qualification for marking this summer. I study French and Spanish and English Lit and History - hoping to study French and Spanish at Ox too.

I chose to study the changing role of women over the years surrounding the spanish civil war. it sort of evolved as i went along, taking in elements from all my as-level courses and it allowed me to study in detail two poems and a novel, and a lot of historical context.

I would recommend choosing either french or spanish - at the start i desperately tried to find some way of comparing the two but i couldn't in the space and time, 5000 words is not a lot. Are you doing the project over the summer holidays? If so, think about places such as museums or libraries (or perhaps take a holiday in france/spain?) that are local or accessible - as this is sure to strengthen your project and application for it. I didn't get the chance to do half as much stuff as I would have liked, because I was doing it alongside my other subjects and an exta gcse on the side, including extra curriculars and so i think it would be better to have an extended period of time to concentrate and immerse yourself in it.

What did you study in English lit this year? We did the war literature stuff, and so I was sort of inspired by this in choosing mine.

Sorry if i haven't been that helpful

xx
How strange you decided to do roughly the same topic as me for EPQ. I must be inspirational!!!!

LancashireLass
Hey, I was in pretty much the same situation as you - however I have just completed the whole qualification for marking this summer. I study French and Spanish and English Lit and History - hoping to study French and Spanish at Ox too.

I chose to study the changing role of women over the years surrounding the spanish civil war. it sort of evolved as i went along, taking in elements from all my as-level courses and it allowed me to study in detail two poems and a novel, and a lot of historical context.

I would recommend choosing either french or spanish - at the start i desperately tried to find some way of comparing the two but i couldn't in the space and time, 5000 words is not a lot. Are you doing the project over the summer holidays? If so, think about places such as museums or libraries (or perhaps take a holiday in france/spain?) that are local or accessible - as this is sure to strengthen your project and application for it. I didn't get the chance to do half as much stuff as I would have liked, because I was doing it alongside my other subjects and an exta gcse on the side, including extra curriculars and so i think it would be better to have an extended period of time to concentrate and immerse yourself in it.

What did you study in English lit this year? We did the war literature stuff, and so I was sort of inspired by this in choosing mine.

Sorry if i haven't been that helpful

xx
LancashireLass
How strange you decided to do roughly the same topic as me for EPQ. I must be inspirational!!!!

Erm you quoted yourself.
znh

I was thinking about secularism in france or the arab influence in spain but it is not really anything different and I am sure there is already loads of things on that

Any ideas????

Both those suggestions are really vast topics. You would need to seriously narrow them down before attempting your project, i.e. arab influence in andalucian culture. But till, those topics are hard going...and personally, I think they are boring. But hey, it's your project and the topic just needs to be interesting to you.

As the poster above suggested, women in post-civil war spain is a 'good' topic - but it is also very frequently done.

My advice is not to try and force a topic that compare France and Spain. Pick one country or one topic that you prefer.

Do something fun: break the mould! The teachers will love you for it!
Reply 5
I'm wanting to study Italian with Maths at university, and am also doing the EPQ :smile:
I think I might do something to do with Italian idioms, because they intrigue me :biggrin: Just throwing out an idea lol. I also thought of doing a sort of comparison between how protective the French and Italians are of their languages. I'm still not entirely sure. I have a few other ideas, but they're just a couple of language-related suggestions.
Reply 6
KayleeLand
As the poster above suggested, women in post-civil war spain is a 'good' topic - but it is also very frequently done.

Hey

I decided on the role of women before, during and after the dictatorship

Thanks any way :smile:
Reply 7
LancashireLass

Thank you for your help - I decided to discuss the role of women before, during and after the dictatorship and maybe their portrayal in film.

Please can you tell me the name of the novel and poems?

I most probably won't discuss it in the Extended Project, but I am looking for some reading to do in Spanish/ about Spain to put on my personal statement

Thank you :smile:
znh
Hey

I decided on the role of women before, during and after the dictatorship

Thanks any way :smile:

Let me remind you that you are talking about a 5,000 word project. This is much too large a topic in my opinion and even worse if you plan to discuss films too.

Perhaps narrow it down - the portrayal of women during the spanish civil war in film?

I did my near 10,000 word dissertation on spanish society in the civil war through film and I felt seriously limited with my word count.
Reply 9
KayleeLand
Let me remind you that you are talking about a 5,000 word project. This is much too large a topic in my opinion and even worse if you plan to discuss films too.

Perhaps narrow it down - the portrayal of women during the spanish civil war in film?

I did my near 10,000 word dissertation on spanish society in the civil war through film and I felt seriously limited with my word count.

Thank you for your adivice, but along the process the title will probably change as I begin to focus on one aspect - my college only needed a rough idea of what I wanted to do...

But I appreciate any ideas anyone may have :smile:
Hi baby,
Thank you so much xxx

love you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending