The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I didn't bother with a TV in my room... we shared one in the kitchen. Some people did though - I have no idea what size though, but pretty small. There is stacks of storage space though. When I emptied mine at the end of last year, my Dad took two seats out of our car (Citroen Xsara Picasso - so pretty big) and put the roof box on & it was still bursting at the seams. Of course, some of this stuff was kitchen stuff, but yeah - you'd be surprised how much will fit in!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
If my ego can fit in...then its a big room :whip:
Reply 3
I cannot believe that anyone would think of bringing such a huge TV with them! How on earth will you get it up to your room if you are on the 4th floor? (No lifts in Lonsdale..). And surely it would be like being at an Imax, sitting on your bed watching that thing about 4 feet away!
Most people don't bring a TV, they watch on their laptop, and those who do bring a TV bring a 14" portable that sits on their desk or can be moved to the kitchen for communal viewing/Wii sessions.
Lizj
I cannot believe that anyone would think of bringing such a huge TV with them! How on earth will you get it up to your room if you are on the 4th floor? (No lifts in Lonsdale..). And surely it would be like being at an Imax, sitting on your bed watching that thing about 4 feet away!
Most people don't bring a TV, they watch on their laptop, and those who do bring a TV bring a 14" portable that sits on their desk or can be moved to the kitchen for communal viewing/Wii sessions.

I've got a 19" one with me which was a present just before I started. In my room (Furness standard) it is fine and I could definitely have a larger TV if I wanted (which I don't but nevermind). However, I've only ever been in the ensuite rooms once or twice but I'd imagine a TV as big as the OPs would be a little silly.

Can you actually get TV signal down at Lonsdale? I tried in Freshers Week and couldn't get anything so now it is used as a monitor for my PC and for my DVDs. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm not planning on bringing my 40" I do know it would be stupidly big, I just wondered what current students had as I have an xbox I'd like to bring and therefore need a tv, thought about my 26" but if that's too big il buy a smaller one
You can get loads in a room. At the moment, on top of all your usual stuff, I have two musical instruments, a traffic cone, a clothes maiden, a lot of clothes all over the floor and general rubbish on my desk; and there's still plenty of room to walk around in.
Reply 7
Cheers, i might try my 26" though probably nearer the time il buy a smaller :smile: i have heard that you cant get a ps3 or xbox 360 online on resnet..has this been sorted?
Reply 8
Sorry, I got the impression that you wanted to bring the 40". The 26 would be OK, but the desk space might be a bit limited for it. Specially if you have a PC, keyboard, printer, speakers, etc etc. If you have a look at the accommodation website, you will see that the desk is not huge.
On the other hand I have not seen a superior ensuite room, so it is possible that they have bigger desks than most.
Reply 9
no they are quite small, but i plan on bringing a laptop not a desktop so it wont take up as much space, thanks for your help :smile:
Holli2011
Cheers, i might try my 26" though probably nearer the time il buy a smaller :smile: i have heard that you cant get a ps3 or xbox 360 online on resnet..has this been sorted?

You can do nowadays.
25 person orgy! oh and a camcorder :wink:
You should be able to fit a 26 inch and a laptop. One of my flatmates got a 22 inch I think it was over Easter as well as having a desktop. The one thing about both of them, especially with consoles as well is that you won't have as much room for other random crap on your desk.
Mine is currently covered in random crap, so it wouldn't work for me. But you should be able to fit a fair amount of stuff in there. If the set up is the same as in Fylde then there's a reasonable amount of underbed storage. You could fit 4 storage boxes under there with a bit of extra space. And there's always on top of the wardrobe and on the floor of it.
Reply 13
Yeah they are set out the same as Fylde. I guess that's kind of good coz im notorious for having random crap everywhere and if it can limit the amount that might actually be a blessing in disguise!
Reply 14
if you're bringing a 40 inch tv and an xbox. Then we need to hook up at Lancaster.
Reply 15
haha dont think il fit 40", probably 26" and 360 or ps3 possibly both but i might leave one at home incase the other gets broken/spilt on/damaged etc.
Reply 16
my 32 inch fits in fine under bookshelf, a 40 inch wont tho :frown:
on terms of what other students have - i have the said tv, ps3, speakers/subwoofer and laptop with working space on desk, i know people who have above plus a desktop, bring whatever you want, you will be living their afterall
Reply 17
jmelech
my 32 inch fits in fine under bookshelf, a 40 inch wont tho :frown:
on terms of what other students have - i have the said tv, ps3, speakers/subwoofer and laptop with working space on desk, i know people who have above plus a desktop, bring whatever you want, you will be living their afterall

thanks for the response :smile: il probably bring my 26" and yet to decide which console, depends which i have more games for, which is easier to set up on resnet etc. but at the moment i have more people to play with on xbox and none on ps3 so probably that one
Reply 18
Lizj

The Imax comment made me laugh. It reminded me of my uncle who lives in a tiny cottage and bought a 50 inch telly for his living room. He has to sit in the kitchen to watch it…

Anyhow, I’m not really sure about the size of ensuite rooms, from what I recall they’re around the same size as Bowland standard, if not slightly smaller due to the toilet and shower facilities jutting out. You could probably fit a 26” TV in there easily. Most of my friends who were in Bowland last year, managed to fit a lot into their rooms (mini fridges, clothes airers, multiples monitors, travel trunks, massive PCs etc.)

I was fortunate enough to have been given a huge room (albeit standard) last year, and I imagine a 40” TV would have actually of fitted, no problems. (Not that I have the money to buy a TV like that tough, and I doubt something like that would fit in the back of my dad’s rusty ford fiesta!)

Last year I bought an Xbox with some money I won from a bet. My boyfriend donated one of his old 19” monitors and I used that to play it on. I don’t think I had any problems connecting it to resnet, although to be honest, I hardly use Xbox live, unless it’s to occasionally play Team Fortress 2… Ack, my true nature it coming out.
I have a 32" HDTV in my room and a friend of mine has fit a 40" one in his (both superior ensuite).

I'd caution against anything bigger than 32" though, as I sometimes get headaches/achy eyes so God knows what 40" will do to you!

EDIT: I'll try and put a picture up. The TVs do fit, it just leaves you with alot less space on your desk.

Latest

Trending

Trending