The Student Room Group

LSE or KCL for law?

Hi everyone

Which would you pick out of LSE and KCL for law? And also - does anyone know if say the LSE course is harder to get good marks in etc? If anyone goes to KCL or LSE for law and could tell me what the exam system is like eg just essays/MCQs...and how you find the teaching in particular - would be very grateful. I knew one person who said LSE teaching wasn't that great, but maybe he was just cynical??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE > kings career prospects. but social life at kings > LSE. I would prob choose LSE.
Reply 2
From what I know, both are great universities and have top notch law schools. However, LSE appears to be perceived as the better one, especially for those who want to do commercial law and go into MC firms in the future. LSE seems to be harder to get into as well.

As for the teaching, I think you would get more information by doing a simple search at LSE and KCL forums on TSR. There were many threads made about this previously and most of them contain useful information. In terms of exams, you are likely to get a mixture of essay and problem questions at both.

Finally, have a look at the course content and the module choices, and see which suits you better. Both are in great locations and I doubt that there would be much difference in that respect.

Also, bear in mind that KCL has a larger intake then LSE, something like 200 students per year. However, LSE seems to have a more international student community then KCL.
Reply 3
LSE is more prestigious, if that means anything to you.
Reply 4
Kings is supposed to be better socially. LSE is supposed to have more prestige. I think that is the crux of it.

I personally think that, as part of the UoL, the "lack of a social scene" at LSE is unjustified. Anyone who wanted to could go to the UoL events etc.

I pressume you have an offer? If it makes any difference, on the Visit Day with the "Law informal tea" thingymajig, everyone seemed like nice, normal, sociable people at LSE :p:
Reply 5
To be honest, OP, I wouldn't listen to most students that post here because they really don't know what employers think. They can't even get basic information right.

Generally, I think they're both rated as good law schools and there won't be any difference if you come from one or the other. This is from my actual knowledge of the careers people from both are going on to lead, especially people graduating this year and last year. Any career difference follows grades.

The exams aren't easier or harder at either one. The exams are cross checked at other University of London institutions, or other unis, before they are set and there's a University of London quality board which makes sure there's an equal standard for all examinations.

It is generally harder to get into LSE than KCL in terms of school grades, but that doesn't make LSE better. As said, LSE has a smaller class compared to KCL's 400 intake last year (not 200) and it takes more from overseas. It doesn't matter what other people get - it matters what YOU get. At the end of the day employers don't look at your friends grades, or an average of the university, they look at yours.
Reply 6
TerryTerry
To be honest, OP, I wouldn't listen to most students that post here because they really don't know what employers think. They can't even get basic information right.

Generally, I think they're both rated as good law schools and there won't be any difference if you come from one or the other. This is from my actual knowledge of the careers people from both are going on to lead, especially people graduating this year and last year. Any career difference follows grades.

The exams aren't easier or harder at either one. The exams are cross checked at other University of London institutions, or other unis, before they are set and there's a University of London quality board which makes sure there's an equal standard for all examinations.

It is generally harder to get into LSE than KCL in terms of school grades, but that doesn't make LSE better. As said, LSE has a smaller class compared to KCL's 400 intake last year (not 200) and it takes more from overseas. It doesn't matter what other people get - it matters what YOU get. At the end of the day employers don't look at your friends grades, or an average of the university, they look at yours.

Sorry, my mistake. Not that it makes a tremendous amount of difference though.

EDIT: I just checked the hard copy of their prospectus and for law they admit 280, so your information doesn't seem to be correct either.
Reply 7
TerryTerry

400?! For Law? I can't comprehend being taught in a room of 400, although it probably is the norm for uni.

I think I saw in the prospectus that LSE had an intake of around 85. But don't quote me on that.
Reply 8
I've just finished my first year of law at KCL. I would say the teaching is good! Perhaps a little less contact time than LSE though as we only have a tutorial for every module every fortnight, instead of every week. I would say the large class size does make it seem more impersonal, but I've spoken to LSE lawyers and they feel the same way. I think most good law schools have large intakes.

Essentially, it just comes down to personal preference. They are both just as good as each other in terms of academia and rankings - although LSE is regarded with more prestige than KCL.
Reply 9
eve_22

EDIT: I just checked the hard copy of their prospectus and for law they admit 280, so your information doesn't seem to be correct either.

No I'm right. They admitted 400 students last year.
sak-y
I've just finished my first year of law at KCL. I would say the teaching is good!

Really?! Who are your tutors?! Most of the lecturers were okay too, but some of them were dire!
How are you finding the exams?!
eve_22

There are definitely 400 people (in fact, just over 400 people) in our lecture halls, and unless 120 of them are imposters then I would say that he is definitely right
Reply 12
TerryTerry
No I'm right. They admitted 400 students last year.

OK. This year they seem to be admitting less.
Reply 13
weet_ABI_x
There are definitely 400 people (in fact, just over 400 people) in our lecture halls

OH. EM. GEE.

That's mental.
I'd probably choose King's, personally. Nicer university physically, offers a far broader range of subjects (which appeals to me, though maybe not to others), and has fewer international students.

I don't have anything against international students per se. Some of my best friends are foreign, but I do tend to have more in common with British people. Also, sometimes international students stick together and don't really like to mix with people of other cultures.

I don't think the difference in reputation between King's and LSE (for law specifically) would be enough for me to choose LSE merely for that reason.
Reply 15
Aren't many lecturers shared between the two universities?

KCL and LSE are so close to eachother. Both are in a great area. LSE is more asthetically appealing. Then again, I only saw 'The Strand' part of KCL.

Inside, KCL isn't all that great. There's the 'Great Hall', which is about as good as it gets, and it ain't that great.

I am fairly sure that the KCL library is more grand than LSE's.

The KCL student union is also much better.

But if I hadn't been rejected by LSE law, I'd have firmed it. I don't know why, I guess I would just like to walk out of those LSE doors every day.

You aren't going to do badly at either, they are quite similar, in very similar locations. Visit both, look at both websites, and consider whether the LSE 'wow' factor will last more than a few days!
Law seems to be a DIY degree. Thus whether there are 400 students or 200 doesn't really matter, you'll proabably get same meagre level of contact time. If you've got a reading list and Westlaw/Lexisnexis access you're sorted. Thus I'd make a decision based simply on where you want to go and, if it matters to you, the perceived reputation of the law school...here there really isn't, domestically at least, a difference between KCL and LSE law. Yes LSE perhaps has the bigger international rep but unless you want to move and work abroad I can't see it being that big a plus.
Reply 17
coffee232
KCL and LSE are so close to eachother. Both are in a great area. LSE is more asthetically appealing. Then again, I only saw 'The Strand' part of KCL.

Law at KCL is taught at the Waterloo campus, which is more modern and (IMO) nicer than Strand, but nothing amazing. At the end of the day though, you're only going to be there for a maximum of 10 hours/week (fewer if you skip the "occasional" lecture :yep:) so it really doesn't matter much. First year lectures are all taught in the same lecture theatre, which is large, plenty of seating, has mics for the lecturers, aircon, projection screen .. all standard equipment but just as good as I've seen anywhere else.

If aesthetics do bother you though, I'm sitting in the Maughan Library right now, and I have to say that it's my favourite in terms of aesthetics and general comfort out of this and LSE/UCL/Senate House libraries. Bear in mind though that even if you do choose LSE, you can still use the library facilities at all the other UoL unis. So the Maughan would be open to you to use (albeit with restrictions and only during term time I believe, not holidays).

Oh and by the way, KCL tutorial sizes for law = around 8. And usually at each class, at least one person didn't turn up this year, so it ended up being around 5/6 per class. I don't know how that compares to other unis?
Reply 18
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-law

overall LSE is rated a better uni, but for law KCL is ranked higher than LSE as having a better law school
Reply 19
coffee232
Aren't many lecturers shared between the two universities?

Inside, KCL isn't all that great. There's the 'Great Hall', which is about as good as it gets, and it ain't that great.

I am fairly sure that the KCL library is more grand than LSE's.

The KCL student union is also much better.

But if I hadn't been rejected by LSE law, I'd have firmed it. I don't know why, I guess I would just like to walk out of those LSE doors every day.

You aren't going to do badly at either, they are quite similar, in very similar locations. Visit both, look at both websites, and consider whether the LSE 'wow' factor will last more than a few days!

LSE Library is rather delightful

Latest

Trending

Trending