The Student Room Group

London Medical Schools?

I realise that medicine has become the most bloody competative course on this planet and I think that no uni's in london are even going to give me a place.

I want to go to london medical schools because they're closer to my house, and I don't want to go to peninsula, birmingham...etc because i don't want to live out.

For my GCSE's I got:
A* - ICT (Double Award), RS
A - Maths, Additional Science, English Lit., DT (Double Award)
B - Core science :frown: ...English Language

For my a levels i'm predicted A's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Economics and general studies.

I really want to get into imperial but i doubt I can looking at my gsce results....I also went to a year 11 summer school there and lived there for 4 days. Because imperial require AAABB in any order in all sciences, maths and english....do I even stand a chance?

I wouldn't mind going to SGUL either but they have the same GCSE requirements..I'm really worried because it seems that my gcse's aren't good enough to get me into these medical schools and I don't want to live out either....WHERE SHOULD I APPLY? :eek3:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you fulfill the requirements? If so then that part is fine.

It's not all about grades though, there are other things to concentrate on.
There is NOTHING wrong with your GCSEs grades...If you're that concerned phone up universities and they will be able to tell you more information. Other than that, concentrate on your A levels as they are the most important things. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Democracy
Do you fulfill the requirements? If so then that part is fine.

It's not all about grades though, there are other things to concentrate on.

I don't really know as I did dual award science an got (AB), and for eng language i got a B and for maths I got an A.
Universities that I want to go to require AAABB in any order and I don't know if my gcse's average out to be that.:woo:
Reply 4
you can apply to SGUL...you need 8a's or 4 a*'s or a combination...their GCSE scoring system is odd but you deffinately meet the requirements!! Also the good thing is, you are guaranteed an interview!

I wouldn't advise you to apply to Imperial or Kings (they like lots of A*s!), but I don't see anything wrong with applying to UCL (make sure you ace the BMAT though!) or Barts
Reply 6
shaz111
you can apply to SGUL...you need 8a's or 4 a*'s or a combination...their GCSE scoring system is odd but you deffinately meet the requirements!! Also the good thing is, you are guaranteed an interview!

I wouldn't advise you to apply to Imperial or Kings (they like lots of A*s!), but I don't see anything wrong with applying to UCL (make sure you ace the BMAT though!) or Barts

Kings?...They're entry requirements are not that high:eek:
Reply 7
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=195&a=354#Profiles

There are links here to the GCSE requirements for each medical school
Reply 8
I want to go to london medical schools because they're closer to my house, and I don't want to go to peninsula, birmingham...etc because i don't want to live out.
You make Renal sad. :no:
Reply 9
I wish people would READ THE MEDICAL SCHOOL WEBSITES!!!
Reply 10
Spacecam
I wish people would READ THE MEDICAL SCHOOL WEBSITES!!!

It's always good to get a second opinion from experienced people :yep:
Reply 11
It's always good to get a second opinion from experienced people

But it comes across as lazy! Its such a BASIC thing - if you can read it on the FAQs or on the website then why ask the populus? The grade requirements won't change for any individuals, regardless of mitigating circumstances or what GCSEs/ ALevels they get. You have to tick the boxes, there's no way around it. If the perspectus says "A in Chemistry a ALevel" then that means, set in stone, you must have A in Chemistry at ALevel.
Reply 12
So when your London medical school turfs you out of your comfy home bed and throws you to the edge of the civilised world, where not even the District line runs, how will you react then? Because believe me, it will happen, wherever you go.
It's always good to get a second opinion from experienced people :yep:

There's no second opinion to be had when it comes to required grades, the only thing that matters is what the schools themselves say :confused:
Reply 14
There's a distinction between minimum and good enough. I don't think it should be common practice to refer people to the minimum requirements and say this is what you need.

It is analagous to coming across a patient with bad persistent headache and saying 'ah you're ok - its not a stroke'. Its not very caring! Its also very kind of half arsed.

I think in a drive to be correct and fear of being misleading, you just become into a link refering machine. Why have an internet forum where you have successful candidates talking to applicants? Because the medical application process is not transparent. Websites give information about minimums and requirements for application. People come here because they want to know some of the finer points and realistic grades that people need to get offers.

I blame the moderation team who set the tone of this forum.
Reply 15
AEH
So when your London medical school turfs you out of your comfy home bed and throws you to the edge of the civilised world, where not even the District line runs, how will you react then? Because believe me, it will happen, wherever you go.

Really, could you tell me more on this? Why does this happen?
Sorry for being annoying!
Reply 16
Basma
Really, could you tell me more on this? Why does this happen?
Sorry for being annoying!
Lots and lots of students, limited teaching firms and limited patient numbers.

BL for example has students placed in hospitals in a triangle with it's corners in Colchester, Southend and the City. IIRC; GKT's ground stretches down towards Hampshire, George's goes right into Kent, RUMS' goes up to Watford and Imperial's goes out to the west somewhere.

So, people's ideas of living at home and commuting might not sound to bad if you only have to get from Wembley to Whitechapel (to give the example of someone I know), but it gets much harder when that journey extends out to Romford every day for three months or you're shoved out to a ****** room in Colchester for thirteen weeks.

P.S. Don't be fooled into thinking that this doesn't happen at every medical school, the differences are that provincial med schools usually have fewer placement hospitals (Wales notwithstanding) but have worse (or non-existent) public transport and greater distances to travel.
Reply 17
Bloody hell, I'd better get myself driving lessons...and a car :eek3:
Renal
Lots and lots of students, limited teaching firms and limited patient numbers.

BL for example has students placed in hospitals in a triangle with it's corners in Colchester, Southend and the City. IIRC; GKT's ground stretches down towards Hampshire, George's goes right into Kent, RUMS' goes up to Watford and Imperial's goes out to the west somewhere.

So, people's ideas of living at home and commuting might not sound to bad if you only have to get from Wembley to Whitechapel (to give the example of someone I know), but it gets much harder when that journey extends out to Romford every day for three months or you're shoved out to a ****** room in Colchester for thirteen weeks.

P.S. Don't be fooled into thinking that this doesn't happen at every medical school, the differences are that provincial med schools usually have fewer placement hospitals (Wales notwithstanding) but have worse (or non-existent) public transport and greater distances to travel.

shhhh about colchester :p: It can be a nice place :eek3:
Reply 19
Aaron_1507
shhhh about colchester :p: It can be a nice place :eek3:
The accom isn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending