The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lilsunflower
But hey... I've probably got the worst GCSE grades around.. (I did O Levels which is pretty much the equivalent) AAAAABBC.. not a single A*. That's coz' I mucked around for the entire 4 years of my course. However, having said that.. I don't think I'm 'thick'.. I have been on scholarship since I was 11 (2 from my country) to overseas countries.. and the scholarships were worth 3000 dollars (1000 pounds) a MONTH - this went on for 6 years. I also did a miraculous reform stint when I got back to Brunei and after working hard, I did much better for AS levels... 5As with 3100% for 3 subjects and my lowest grade being 92%.

What I am trying to say is that grades don't reflect how smart a person is. Sometimes even the smartest people have bad luck during exams.. mess up a bit but I don't think we should ever judge how smart someone else is when we can't even figure out how smart we are. Just try to feel happy for those who got accepted into Oxbridge, sympathise with the disappointed ones, and most importantly, feel happy about yourself.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

A lot of people would be pleased with those results, but I know what you mean. But you're also A LOT smarter than you give yourself credit for - the last line sounds like a phisolopher (yep I know I spelt that wrong!). At my school some people aren't even to get one pass at GCSE, but some people are truely super duper and want to work for NASA *thinks to self: where am I going with this? shakes head*

Also having a high IQ and great grades doesn't make someone a great person, emotional IQ has a far greater weight in a civalised society and allows them to get on far better in life.
Reply 61
me!
A lot of people would be pleased with those results, but I know what you mean. But you're also A LOT smarter than you give yourself credit for - the last line sounds like a phisolopher (yep I know I spelt that wrong!). At my school some people aren't even to get one pass at GCSE, but some people are truely super duper and want to work for NASA *thinks to self: where am I going with this? shakes head*

Also having a high IQ and great grades doesn't make someone a great person, emotional IQ has a far greater weight in a civalised society and allows them to get on far better in life.

Since when has 'I hope I didn't offend anyone' been a great philosophical quote?
Reply 62
Ensocopier
Since when has 'I hope I didn't offend anyone' been a great philosophical quote?

Oops, I meant second from last sentence :s-smilie:
Reply 63
I know someone who was in the 'slow' maths set and did intermediate tier, but got into Oxford to study french and german with A grades in these subjects plus art at A level. :rolleyes: Her mother was a french teacher...
Stewie
I'm sorry, but I worked my a** off to get good GCSE's and even harder for my AS levels, and if someone can get in to one of the world's best universities by not bothering to do any work, going to the pub every lunchtime and after school (as he did) and generally taking no interest in the world around them and what really matters, isn't that a sad day for intellectualism?

Maybe you'll have to accept the fact that, while you work harder, he's just more intelligent/intellectual than you? Obviously I don't know if this is true, it's just a suggestion.

You cannot call someone stupid for asking what hiatus means. What's wrong with that? Everyone has gaps in there knowledge, and unfamiliarity with the word hiatus hardly seems significant. At least when he heard it he took the trouble to find out what it meant.
smaug
I know someone who was in the 'slow' maths set and did intermediate tier, but got into Oxford to study french and german with A grades in these subjects plus art at A level. :rolleyes: Her mother was a french teacher...

You don't have to be an all round genius to get into Oxford. She must have shown enthusiasm and talent in languages. Doing intermediate maths, and probably getting a B, possibly a C, is hardly a sign that she is stupid, and presumably will not be any detriment to her in studying languages.
I have to say this thread does no good - it just encourages pooled/rejected applicants to feel bitter towards those who were accepted with lower grades. It's about time people realised that grades certainly aren't everything, especially not with the new As system. That's why Oxbridge interview, set their own tests and are bringing back entrance papers.
Reply 67
hitchhiker_13
You don't have to be an all round genius to get into Oxford.

Exactly the point I am making, in answer to the original thread. However I think the fact that she also made her A level learning load particularly easy by choosing art, and a subject where her mother could help , suggests she was far from the brightest button in the button box!
Being weak at maths is not in itself detrimental to language learning skills, but an oxford degree tends to be seen by employers as a measure of overall high ability, when it is not! I believe oxford should be clear about this. If theyre not looking for overall intelligence but simply a high level of skill and interest in individual subjects then they should make that clear because it would encourage a lot more people to apply who would probably be intimidated from doing so at present because they dont feel theyre clever enough!
Reply 68
WHAT ON EARTH DOES hiatus mean???!!! there you go i've asked it, i got an offer from oxford ooo so does that mean i'm another one of these 'thick' ppl who get into oxford instead of the obviously far more intellegent ones who get rejected???????
emzie
WHAT ON EARTH DOES hiatus mean???!!! there you go i've asked it, i got an offer from oxford ooo so does that mean i'm another one of these 'thick' ppl who get into oxford instead of the obviously far more intellegent ones who get rejected???????

A hiatus is a break in something eg 'we've reached a hiatus in the proceedings' Congrats on your offer btw. There seem to be some very silly ideas about what constitutes intelligence here! If I were you I would go and have a drink to celebrate instead of indulging people with hurt pride.
Reply 70
Stewie
"Yeah, I pray...right....but I don't believe in God"

Makes you lose faith in humanity.......

anti-realism is a perfectly legitimate philosophical position

Stewie
You would be too after 3 years of hard work and study, and I noticed all this well before I applied

*yawn* perhaps it was this attitude that prevented you from getting in?

totally agree, thank god someone finally said it and thank god for immanuel kant- they should make reading groundwork of metaphysic or morals compulsory for all people applying to oxbridge i think.

They are looking for people who take an attitude to life of treating things as ends in themselves and not means to an end- or at the very least treating the subject in that way. I don't like all this "If i do X, I have a right to feel angry if I don'd get Y out. Sod the value of the process itself." They aren't looking for people who think they have a "right" to things. In the words of Mark Twain- The world owes you nothing. It was here first. They are looking for Kantians, are you sir, are no Kantian.

EDITED TO MAKE MORE SENSE. ( :smile: )
Hmm, what??? How can you possibly apply Kantian metaphysics to a thread about university entrance???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 72
Metaphysics of pure morals- its about the way you treat every given thing in life. i.e. do you treat things as means to an end in life- or do you treat them as ends in themselves? i would contend that they are looking for the latter. they want someone who is going to treat the subject as an end (having value) in itself- and not a way of getting a good job.
JayJay
Metaphysics of pure morals- its about the way you treat every given thing in life. i.e. do you treat things as means to an end in life- or do you treat them as ends in themselves? i would contend that they are looking for the latter. they want someone who is going to treat the subject as an end (having value) in itself- and not a way of getting a good job.

Yes I know all about deontology/categorical imperative, etc. Just think its very strange to apply a highly metaphysical concept to something like this. Sure you're not over-analysing it?

Reply 74
i think character is part of their judge though - it can't just be on grades. and i personally think that they are looking for a deontological character because they are the people who are going to value the opportunity in itself. they, i don't think- are looking for people who think - i'll be able to get a wicked job at the end of this even if i hate it- the ends justify the means. i think they are looking for people who apply out of a genuine love for the subject- treat it as an end in itself. i think if you have a teleologically driven character- high grades wont neccesarily get you in.

but i might be wrong, and i might be over-analysing- but i wouldnt admit the people who are moaning because "crap" people have got in whereas they with biggum GCSE grades havent. To get bitter because life doesn't work on an exact utility calculus with people who get higher grades not getting in seems a bit mad to me as well- they are looking for character- and sometimes people with XYZ GCSE grades dont have it, regardless of how many A*s they've got lined up. I think to get bitter about such things is an indication of having the kind of character they're not looking for.
Yes I agree to an extent, but I don't see how someone can have a 'teleological character'. Its a highly metaphysical concept, and thereore I think care should be taken when applying it to the world. However, tutors interviewing for something like economics and management at Oxford will probably expect most applicants to want to enter City jobs.

Reply 76
i think they'll be looking for someone with an enjoyment of economics and management first and foremost though- not someone who was doing it *just to get* a city job.

I'd say a teleological character was doing X for the sole purpose of achieving Y, rather than doing X out a love of X.
JayJay
I'd say a teleological character was doing X for the sole purpose of achieving Y, rather than doing X out a love of X.

Surely teleology is subjective??? Just because an individual has purpose-driven motives for doing something does not make them 'teleological' in the metaphysical sense. Somebody might do X for the purpose of achieving Y, but then do P for the love of P and not for the purpose of achieving Q. Therefore they can't have a 'telelogical character' because they are inconsistent.

Reply 78
hildabeast
Surely teleology is subjective??? Just because an individual has purpose-driven motives for doing something does not make them 'teleological' in the metaphysical sense. Somebody might do X for the purpose of achieving Y, but then do P for the love of P and not for the purpose of achieving Q. Therefore they can't have a 'telelogical character' because they are inconsistent.

yeah i'd agree with that actually. you're right- i was generalising there to some extent. still though, i believe they are looking for people who "in general" (and this isn't a long interview- it aint perfect- but its harder to fake than you might think) have had the attitude towards the *education* process as X for the love of X rather than doing X for the sake of achieving Y. But i dont think people moaning on a forum about "thick" people having got lower GCSE results is indicative of a general "X for love of X" attitude with regard to education.
JayJay
yeah i'd agree with that actually. you're right- i was generalising there to some extent. still though, i believe they are looking for people who "in general" (and this isn't a long interview- it aint perfect- but its harder to fake than you might think) have had the attitude towards the *education* process as X for the love of X rather than doing X for the sake of achieving Y. But i dont think people moaning on a forum about "thick" people having got lower GCSE results is indicative of a general "X for love of X" attitude with regard to education.

Oh yes, I agree. Tutors look for students who are committed to their subject. However, they're not stupid and I'm sure they realise that must be the motive for some people. Obviously for crazy subjects like my own, job prospects are probably not the applicants' first motivation. However, there are lots of students around who are blatantly here only to get a decent job. And its not like admissions tutors expect medicine applicants to have a love purely for the academic side of the subject rather than a desire or conviction to become a doctor.

Oh and I guess I'm one of the thick people who got in:
GCSE: 4A* 4A 2B
AS: AAAABE
A Level: AAAAA

Latest

Trending

Trending