The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gzftan
Some people take another year to do extra....

some do some a year earlier (ie. during GCSEs)....others (eg. those abroad) live where there is an incredibly high work ethic...so do loads!!!

Not me tho!!

I'm really lazy!

G

LOL :biggrin:
You're not the only one... :wink:
Schmelen
um... not too sure if i agree with the whole idea of grades = intelligence in the title of this thread, but, if thats the way its going, i think i am the 'thickest' person i know, i got an offer from oxfit and i only got AABC at AS (although i did do okay in my gcses), oh, and one of my A's at AS was in art (!)

i certainly did not pick an 'easy' subject to get into, mine was pretty tough ( and one half of it i have never studied before at all), and i felt a little out of my depth when chatting to the other applicants, but at the end of the day i just went and was myself. i had three interviews and had a great time, but i was convinced i wouldnt get in because of the things i said at interview (as i was determined to be myself i ended up, among other things, offering to do star-jumps, going on an anti-bush rant, calling tory MPs rude and childish, telling a story about a visit to see dead plants and giving my interviewers anecdotes about Tony Benn).

when i got my offer, i could tell a few folks were a bit surprised, but it just goes to show that grades don't mean everything. I guess that as i felt it was all very unlikely i wouldnt have come across as arrogant, and it seems to be the case that if the tutors want to teach you they will accept you - so arrogance is certainly a bit of a put-off.

(oh, just remembered that i left my handbag in one of my interviews as well - hehe...)

what did you apply to do?
i know a guy who was accepted with 1.4 in abitur for modern lingo at oxford. i applied to cambridge natsci with a 1.0 abitur and was rejected...whatever...
Reply 143
ThornsnRoses
what did you apply to do?

Ancient and Modern History. I think i chose it because i am a huge history fan, but also have a bit of a thing for classics, although i have never studied it at college... i guess i just wanted the whole sweep instead of starting at the fall of the roman empire - why limit myself? was my main thought. i had no idea how tough the ancient history interview would be, or how ridiculously genius-like the other candidates would be. but its all good, and i can't wait to start next year. just have to get the grades, ahh! why do you ask?
Reply 144
I'd like to join the ranks of the "thick" people who have offers. I have 5 GCSEs, at grades A*ABCC. I did them in about five months, because I was ill... oh dear, aren't I dumb?

I haven't read every single post over carefully (so sorry if I'm repetitive), but I didn't see anyone mention how lack of opportunity influences grades, so now I am: Not everyone has the chance to gain 12 A*s, or 5 grade A A-levels. I, for instance, didn't have that luxury because of my health. Oh dear, now I'm thick and unworthy of my place!
What about talented students at failing schools? What about the students whose parents can't afford a computer, or copious textbooks? There are many other reasons why students may not gain perfect grades. Doesn't mean they're unworthy of places, or are thick.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just tired of being told and reading things which knock down my achievement. I'm proud of myself for earning my place, and I hate people trying to take that away from me, intentionally or not.
F. Poste
I'd like to join the ranks of the "thick" people who have offers. I have 5 GCSEs, at grades A*ABCC. I did them in about five months, because I was ill... oh dear, aren't I dumb?

I haven't read every single post over carefully (so sorry if I'm repetitive), but I didn't see anyone mention how lack of opportunity influences grades, so now I am: Not everyone has the chance to gain 12 A*s, or 5 grade A A-levels. I, for instance, didn't have that luxury because of my health. Oh dear, now I'm thick and unworthy of my place!
What about talented students at failing schools? What about the students whose parents can't afford a computer, or copious textbooks? There are many other reasons why students may not gain perfect grades. Doesn't mean they're unworthy of places, or are thick.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just tired of being told and reading things which knock down my achievement. I'm proud of myself for earning my place, and I hate people trying to take that away from me, intentionally or not.

Congrats on your place! You should be proud. What are you going to read?
Reply 146
MadNatSci
Congrats on your place! You should be proud. What are you going to read?

Thank you :biggrin: I'm still smiling all over the place (when I'm not pissed off at people who say stupid things). I'll be reading English! No need for me to ask what you study.. :wink:
Reply 147
F. Poste

Well done on your place! I totally agree with what you're saying, they're not looking for someone who's been tutored solely to pass an exam, but rather someone who has the capability to think beyond the scope of the exam syllabus, someone who shows true potential. Which col did you get a place at? I got a NatSci place at Jesus, have to get AAA first though.... (!)
Reply 148
Sar
Well done on your place! I totally agree with what you're saying, they're not looking for someone who's been tutored solely to pass an exam, but rather someone who has the capability to think beyond the scope of the exam syllabus, someone who shows true potential. Which col did you get a place at? I got a NatSci place at Jesus, have to get AAA first though.... (!)

I got a place at Somerville, Oxford.. my offer is AAA too, which is scary considering that there's no room for failure at all! I wish us both luck, lol.. (if I can wish myself luck)
Reply 149
Schmelen
um... not too sure if i agree with the whole idea of grades = intelligence in the title of this thread, but, if thats the way its going, i think i am the 'thickest' person i know, i got an offer from oxfit and i only got AABC at AS (although i did do okay in my gcses), oh, and one of my A's at AS was in art (!)

i certainly did not pick an 'easy' subject to get into, mine was pretty tough ( and one half of it i have never studied before at all), and i felt a little out of my depth when chatting to the other applicants, but at the end of the day i just went and was myself. i had three interviews and had a great time, but i was convinced i wouldnt get in because of the things i said at interview (as i was determined to be myself i ended up, among other things, offering to do star-jumps, going on an anti-bush rant, calling tory MPs rude and childish, telling a story about a visit to see dead plants and giving my interviewers anecdotes about Tony Benn).

when i got my offer, i could tell a few folks were a bit surprised, but it just goes to show that grades don't mean everything. I guess that as i felt it was all very unlikely i wouldnt have come across as arrogant, and it seems to be the case that if the tutors want to teach you they will accept you - so arrogance is certainly a bit of a put-off.

(oh, just remembered that i left my handbag in one of my interviews as well - hehe...)

I think this shows tutors are looking for people who are fresh and original, not just well tutored - they must get so bored with all the dull spoddy brown nosers. But you have to genuinely be an individual, it wouldn't work if you just went in and tried to 'act wacky.' Reminds me of the Fresh Prince episode where Will is pressured to go to an interview for Princeton. He has no desire to get in, he's just been forced into it by his family, so he totally acts natural, makes no attempt to impress. However, he does impress the interviewer by off-handedly solving his Rubik's Cube puzzle. The interviewer then begs him to come to Princeton, and spends the next half hour learning from Will how to sing and dance etc. After that Carleton, who lives only to get admitted to Princeton, attempts to mimic Will's behaviour in his own interview, affecting a 'street' style, but of course it goes disastrously wrong.
Reply 150
I am the thickest person I know who got an offer from Oxford. I work hard for everything, and if that is seen as being thick, i am thick.
F. Poste
I got a place at Somerville, Oxford.. my offer is AAA too, which is scary considering that there's no room for failure at all! I wish us both luck, lol.. (if I can wish myself luck)

For what subject?
Reply 152
Ensocopier
For what subject?

English! I read in another thread that you've got an offer from Somerville too, right? We'll both get to stay in the gorgeous building that is Vaughan! I kind of developed a fond attachment to it in my time there.. despite the fact that it's quite out of place with the other buildings!
one thing i will say about oxford.
my friend ben was invited to St Benet's Hall for his interview. while he was up there, his guide told him a little bit about himself. namely that he'd got into the college on a CDE at a level. perhaps more worrying is that he didn't even apply to oxford but still got a place.as far as i can tell, the only way st benets could've even known he existed was through his school, a place called ampleforth (btw, the st benets site lists itself as "an ampleforth institution").
F. Poste
English! I read in another thread that you've got an offer from Somerville too, right? We'll both get to stay in the gorgeous building that is Vaughan! I kind of developed a fond attachment to it in my time there.. despite the fact that it's quite out of place with the other buildings!

Yea, same here. Apparently its getting knocked down just after we leave. What did you make of the rest of Somerville? I really liked it there, it was very relaxed and friendly etc. :smile:
Reply 155
I find it pretty annoying that so many people are willing to dimiss others with less than 10A*s etc as thick. My little sister has probably every learning disbailty on the planet and wont be put in for GCSEs-however one wouldn't know this if you spoke to her, she is incredibly intelligent but just cant translate her thoughts onto paper. You need to look at the broader aspect of this-at many schools what proportion of people get grades which quantify them being "intelligent"? Very little. Many people with potential can't afford to go to private schools or don't have the support behind them to do well in their exams.

I was pretty pleased with my GCSE results, I got 3A*s and 7As and to be honest I'm not the cleverest person in the world but I don't consider myself thick. I'm going to have a go at applying for law at Oxford next year but if I don't get in then I'll move on.

People need to see that there is much more to life than a few sodding grades on a pice of paper.

Chloe xxx
xchloex
I find it pretty annoying that so many people are willing to dimiss others with less than 10A*s etc as thick. My little sister has probably every learning disbailty on the planet and wont be put in for GCSEs-however one wouldn't know this if you spoke to her, she is incredibly intelligent but just cant translate her thoughts onto paper. You need to look at the broader aspect of this-at many schools what proportion of people get grades which quantify them being "intelligent"? Very little. Many people with potential can't afford to go to private schools or don't have the support behind them to do well in their exams.

I was pretty pleased with my GCSE results, I got 3A*s and 7As and to be honest I'm not the cleverest person in the world but I don't consider myself thick. I'm going to have a go at applying for law at Oxford next year but if I don't get in then I'll move on.

People need to see that there is much more to life than a few sodding grades on a pice of paper.

Chloe xxx

Woah, some sense... rare here!

*hugs* for Chloe
Reply 157
onearmedscissor
Woah, some sense... rare here!

*hugs* for Chloe

Thanx hun :smile: it's true though, some people on these boards see Oxbridge as the be all and and all and frankly I find it quite worrying lol!

Chloe xxx
Reply 158
xchloex
Thanx hun :smile: it's true though, some people on these boards see Oxbridge as the be all and and all and frankly I find it quite worrying lol!

Chloe xxx

You'll find that many of us on the forum who got offers from Oxbridge did not have the supposedly 'conventional' grades and would never suggest the need for them!
Reply 159
Ensocopier
Yea, same here. Apparently its getting knocked down just after we leave. What did you make of the rest of Somerville? I really liked it there, it was very relaxed and friendly etc. :smile:

I really liked it too... before I went, I imagined that it would be quite scary- sort of like a mix between Heaven and Harry Potter! The fact that it's actually quite normal, yet still with the Oxford feel, made me like it even more. Did you see the library? I looooved the library.

One of the English teachers gave me an old Oxford handbook that belonged to one of their friends, and I read through all the profiles of the colleges, and I'm not being biased when I say that it gave Somerville the best description of them all.. to paraphrase what I remember: "Most Somervillians really love their college, and it's easy to see why" "Somerville seems to attract a certain type of easygoing, unpretentious applicant", etc etc.

Was Somerville your first choice? It was mine, although I chose quite randomly.. but I consider myself lucky :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending