The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same ere, I reckon you just need to know a few keywords like "reliability" etc. Lol. Easy easy easy!
Reply 2
Yeah :smile:
I'm glad we have the project and portfolios though, just in case something goes horribly wrong with the exam
Reply 3
Yeah, that's true, although I can't see anything going wrong. I'm going to start studying one week from today, after my physics exam. I'm not really sure how, I'm just going to go through past papers with my teacher I think and come up with a list of words that I can apply to different situations. Don'y worry about it, just go through the social and ethical issues section in the syllabus, should be fine.
Reply 4
I was just a bit worried because all I've been doing in IT class in these 2 years is checking my mail (while the teacher was busy doing something which had nothing to do with our class), so it all feels very self-taught. But yeah, I'm sure it'll be ok... I'll also start studying it right after physics... Physics is a much bigger problem atm, am not liking the electromagnetism section..
Reply 5
That's the beauty of ITGS, if you check your email every class then that's about all you need to know.
Same about physics, EM and some of nuclear physics is annoying.
Reply 6
I am doing itgs as well, and i think a revision of the ethical and social issues is more than ok for paper 2 especially. For paper 1, there is nothing you should know beforehand, for the geeks, they could just keep an eye on current technological issues from magazines....

Anyway, it is just very easy. The horrible things though are that:
1.) Last year, nobody in the world was achieved with a 7
2.) It is the last exam in schedule, meaning everybody else will be on vaccations, while u are studying the crappy ethics!!!
Reply 7
What?!?! Nobody got a 7?!?! I don't believe you, how would you know that and where did you find that out? Actually German B is the last exam :P but I know what you mean about the weekend in between. All of my friends will be out partying and where will I be? Inside studying ITGS... If that's even possible...
Reply 8
My teacher told us that nobody took a 7, he said that he show it in the IBO mark destribution... I don't know but he may be right, because it is quite impossible to have an excellent portfolio, an excelent project and an excelent paper....
Reply 9
Did your teacher mean that no one from your class got a 7, or no one from the IB students in the whole world?

By the way... Do you guys do ITGS standard or higher? At my school only standard is offered (not that I would have done higher anyway..).
Reply 10
I know somebody who got a 7 in ITGS last year so that can't be true (liar!)

ITGS only started being offered at higher this year, hence the first HL exam is in 2006 ;-( Just my luck.
Reply 11
First of all, the reason no one got 7 is because of people like u (inc. me) who think ITGS is an easy subject. but to be honest, its not, its not easy at all coz u dont have a textbook which u can take and read and pass your exams with excellent results like in history, geography. So you have to do ur own research. u have to know what to know coz what appears on the exams might be recent.

As a matter of fact, the percentage of people getting 7 in ITGS is lower than any other IB subject. Thats true, u can read it in the teacher information part of the IBO website.

the other thing is that, u will never get an A if u wrote ur Extended essay in ITGS, coz its the most obscure and strict one. u r more likely to get in in history or geo. or even eco.

how to study for exams? well u dont have a text book, so why not read the subject guidelines?

ps. Lets talk about our projects, `can we?
Reply 12
Yeah I'd have to agree, ITGS is harder than it seems...

My project was on latin dance (cha cha and salsa). I made a web site with videos and instructions and stuff. It was lots of fun to make, but my log book was very very last minute, should have seen me in a frenzy making up dates, writing in different coloured pens, sticking things in... Got quite a good predicted grade for all this though, so I'm happy.
Reply 13
I just saw the HL subject guide of ITGS and it has a paper 3 whith case studies!!!That must heavy work....Anyway, the SL mark is 60% for the test and 40% on the project and portfolio, so most of our mark is already predefined...
Reply 14
What the heck is ITGS? I've never heard about it till I saw this thread! Could someone explain this to me??
Thanks
Reply 15
You can actually study for ITGS, think about the issues rather than the technology point of view.

Our class basically covered the curriculum in the first month of school in IB1 and since then have basically revised for the exam. ITGS is a harder subject than most make of it and does actually help for many careers (seeing issues as well as benefits).

There were 7s last year, I believe to get one it was 73%. On a personal side I got 94% on my IA and 86% on my mock, whilst the rest of my class didn't do better than getting 5s or low 6s.
Reply 16
so, actually ITGS is a logic subject, where you have to see if things are right or wrong?
Reply 17
Radium
so, actually ITGS is a logic subject, where you have to see if things are right or wrong?

ITGS - information techmology in global society
that is analysis of impacts of technology on the society in terms of social and ethical considerations. ethics meaning responisiblity and social in terms of economics, political, ergonomic, financial gains, costs to the society.
its a very broad subject, covers things from A not to Z but to infinity so :eek:
well thats about it.
Reply 18
Thanks BigFatJoe, now I do understand it, indeed, very broad!
Reply 19
BigFatJoe
First of all, the reason no one got 7 is because of people like u (inc. me) who think ITGS is an easy subject. but to be honest, its not, its not easy at all coz u dont have a textbook which u can take and read and pass your exams with excellent results like in history, geography.

I understand what you mean but I define easy as in you can walk into the exam without doing any study at all and still get a good grade. You simply can't do that with physics or economics for example. It's "easy" because it's ambiguous. Getting a 7 in any subject in fcuk difficult! You'll always have to work like a mofo to get a 7. There aren't that many subjects in which you can get a good grade without doing any study, unless you're fluent in a language and taking it at ab initio or something, lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending