The Student Room Group

The Morning After Pill

Having just watched a lady (with very bad eighties hair) discussing her campaign to have the availability of the morning after pill removed from schools (and to a lesser extent the availability of condoms) to 'protect our daughters', I thought I'd pose this question:

Should the morning after pill be available to girls in schools who are under the age of consent, or should this opportunity be removed?

As I'm acting as chair here, I'll join in after a few posts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The pill itself isn't a problem, it's just the way some people use it.

Of course it should be available, it was invented for a very good reason. But people that use it as a form of contraception should be culled.
Reply 2
Yes it should be available but there hould be some obligatory conversation in the place where its available about contraception and why it should be used and the girl should be given free condoms.
Reply 3
I think that the morning after pill should be available to all people who want it and should be given wen asked for. but there shud be questions asked of the recipient like "Why do you need it?" " is it because you had unprotected sex or because it was an accident?" Also free contaceptives should be available, such as free condoms as that is like ly to bring down the teenage pregnancy rate! xx
Reply 4
Charlottie
Having just watched a lady (with very bad eighties hair) discussing her campaign to have the availability of the morning after pill removed from schools (and to a lesser extent the availability of condoms) to 'protect our daughters', I thought I'd pose this question:

Should the morning after pill be available to girls in schools who are under the age of consent, or should this opportunity be removed?

This is one area where I'm fairly old-fashioned. I don't believe that things like the morning after pill or abortion should be used as contraception. Removing the opportunity probably wouldn't solve the problem, but somewhere along the line the idea of responsibility has been lost.
Having read reports of girls as young as 10 being given the pill (The Express) it seems worrying that children this age are having sex. However giving them the morning after pill, will not affect the fact that they have already have sex so i think that it's fair to give to them. What needs to be adressed is the information this children are revcieving about sex. Maybe if the women (who has stated she wanted to restict use of the mnorning after pill) put more energy into this, girls underage wouldn't NEED to use the morning after pill.
Reply 6
Sezzie69
I think that the morning after pill should be available to all people who want it and should be given wen asked for. but there shud be questions asked of the recipient like "Why do you need it?" " is it because you had unprotected sex or because it was an accident?" Also free contaceptives should be available, such as free condoms as that is like ly to bring down the teenage pregnancy rate! xx

Why would you want to ask questions like that? Surely that would embarass people and discourage them from getting help when they need it.
I was reading the other day about a gynacologist who keeps a stack of morning after pills (or rather, 'emergency hormonal contraception') in the bathroom cabinet for his daughters to use if they needed to. That sound so sensible, if only everyone could be that open about sex things would improve drastically.
We live in a society where sex is promoted in everything - magazines, adverts, film, TV, books... I could go on. Whether this is right or wrong, stopping people who are under 16 from buying the morning-after pill is hypocritical in light of the circumstances.
Reply 7
xXMessedUpXx
Having read reports of girls as young as 10 being given the pill (The Express).

I've not seen the particular article, but sensationalist journalism is not always as it seems. As we evolve, the age of puberty is dropping. I was on the pill at 12, not because I was sexually active, but because I needed it for health reasons. If the ten years old were on the pill as a contraceptive, then I can see why this would be a worry, but it is important to remember that there are other reasons to use the pill.
Reply 8
Papers overexagerate everything anyway. I think teaching children morals is more important, and that its not okay for them to go around shagging at such a young age. However, condoms, pill, should be made availible for those who are determined to hand in their innocence at such a young and inexperienced age.
Reply 9
John82
This is one area where I'm fairly old-fashioned. I don't believe that things like the morning after pill or abortion should be used as contraception. Removing the opportunity probably wouldn't solve the problem, but somewhere along the line the idea of responsibility has been lost.

But surely if the condom split or your normal contraceptive pill failed it is necessary to have the morning after pill? Its not fair for the girl to be forced to be a mother even though she was taking the right precuations?

Also, from my experience I know no-one who has used the morning after pill puerly as contraception anyway! Its obviously a v.v.v.small minority who make the whole population of teenage girls look like they're not responsible for their actions.
i don't think the pill itself is a problem, its just that a lot of girls take it for granted, thinkin "its ok, i can take the pill" its that attitude that isn't right.
Reply 11
xXMessedUpXx
Having read reports of girls as young as 10 being given the pill (The Express)

the thing about that data was it did not establish the reason why these girls wre using the pill. Im sure the majority used it for health reasons as opposed to contraception.
Its just i find it really hard to believe a growing population of ten year olds are sexually active. For gods sake, the girls down my street who are about ten still play with their Barbies and have little interest in boys! Maybe Im a bit naive but I just find the idea so shocking!
Reply 12
Charlottie

NO, they shouldn't be available in schools, and neither should condoms.

You want pills and condoms??....go to the pharmacy and buy them. Quite freeloading. Why should the public pay for your orgasms?
Reply 13
Lets have a quick review of the logic used in the both for and against arguments.

In favour of the morning after pill is the reasoning that people will have sex no matter what, so contraception should be available to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Against is that the availability of the pill is encouraging people to engage in sexual activity as the fear of getting pregnant is largely eliminated.

In my mind the against argument is sheer rubbish. I don't believe for one second that the availabilty of the morning after pill encourages people to have sex. If you want to look at the causes of our increasingly sexualised young people look no further than the modern media, celebrity and peer pressure coupled with a trend of a decreasing age of puberty.

Trying to stop the use of a pill that could save someone a lifetime of regret just so someone can shout 'That'll teach you for having sex!' is just plain wrong in my view.
Douglas
NO, they shouldn't be available in schools, and neither should condoms.

You want pills and condoms??....go to the pharmacy and buy them. Quite freeloading. Why should the public pay for your orgasms?

I'd rather pay for the pills and the orgasms than potentially pay for the upkeep of a single mother with kid(s).

TS
Reply 15
Although it's an entirely different subject, contraception should be free.

Emergency contraception, in order to be effective, has to be free. Not being able to find the money to buy the morning after pill should never be a reason for having to possibly go through the traumatic experience of an abortion.

Also, condoms are really quite expensive, which, although not being an excuse for having unprotected sex, is defiantley a factor. And it also means you're less likely to have one on you if the opportunity to put it to good use arises.

The free ones they hand out at uni have been a godsend.
My beef with the morning after pill is that it may lead to kids using it as a substitute for condoms, which in turn will lead to the spread of STDs
John82
This is one area where I'm fairly old-fashioned. I don't believe that things like the morning after pill or abortion should be used as contraception.

Why are you lumping EHC in with abortion? The morning after pill does NOT cause an abortion - it prevents a pregnancy ever occuring. Really, if you disagree with that then you disagree with other methods of contraception.
Douglas

Just a note -girls under 16 can't buy the morning after pill from pharmacies.
Reply 19
-Emmz-
Why are you lumping EHC in with abortion? The morning after pill does NOT cause an abortion - it prevents a pregnancy ever occuring. Really, if you disagree with that then you disagree with other methods of contraception.

Not technically, it actually irritates the uterus lining prevents a fertilized egg from attatching and so preventing it from getting nutrients, thus killing it.

Having said that, I 100% support free contraception for all, no matter how old they are - it is vital that we prevent unwanted pregnancies legally (rather than resorting to the 'back street abortion' culture of the past.

Latest

Trending

Trending