The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hylean
A Belgian, originally,

Reply 21
dubbelfitta

"What made you want to do Icelandic?"

"A Belgian, originally, then personal interest."

Thus implying a person from Belgian is the reason I wanted to learn Icelandic originally.
Förlåt då..:rolleyes:
Norwegian, cos Norway is the coolest. :cool:

Hylean
Is why they are considering splitting into three separate countries based on language.

Are they? My Belgian friend told me there was talk of Flanders being incorporated into the Netherlands.
Reply 24
Samual
Norwegian, cos Norway is the coolest. :cool:

Are they? My Belgian friend told me there was talk of Flanders being incorporated into the Netherlands.

There's always talk where Belgium is concerned, the retards.
Reply 25
aeiou81
But they aren't that compatible anyway; knowing one you could probably recognise maybe 10% of the other language?

Yeah, as a Finnish speaker I can say that I can't really understand Hungarian at all, or even recognise any words.
Reply 26
cynthialf
Yeah, as a Finnish speaker I can say that I can't really understand Hungarian at all, or even recognise any words.

The connection is mostly grammar-based.
captain obvious?
Reply 28
dubbelfitta
captain obvious?

Well, after your previous misunderstanding, I thought it might be needed. :wink:

Besides, most people believe that language groupings rely solely on vocabulary, which is why it's a common belief that English is actually a Romance language, but there we go.
finnish obviously! how could you even ask that question! :p:

Reply 30
They're all right, Norwegians understand both Swedish and Danish, and can have conversations with both nations, whilst they seem to have more difficulties understanding each other. Finnish is completely different, I'm 100% Norwegian and can't understand a word. They don't speak very much English either, as Swe/Dan/Norwegian people does.

Another thing is that because of the oil-industry, I would recommend Norwegian. I've heard there's quite the opportunity to make a great deal of money, being able to speak Norwegian&Russian or Norwegian&Chinese. We do a great deal of business with both countries.
Hylean
Well, after your previous misunderstanding, I thought it might be needed. :wink:

Besides, most people believe that language groupings rely solely on vocabulary, which is why it's a common belief that English is actually a Romance language, but there we go.

:wink: right..

Haha, I've never heard of anyone thinking English is a romance language.. Icelanders, huh? :p:
Well I speak English (and reasonably good German) and I'm currently learning Danish, because:

* The vocab in Danish is similar to German
* The Danish vocab is easy
* Finnish is "the hardest European language to learn"

Also, there are areas in Germany near the Danish border where the two cultures almost merge into one - the island of Sylt, for example.

The only downside is that Danish is the European language whose pronunciation is most different to the spelling (from the point of view of an English speaker).
Reply 33
dubbelfitta
:wink: right..

Haha, I've never heard of anyone thinking English is a romance language.. Icelanders, huh? :p:

Nah, that's a belief common to Britain. Sure, I know quite a few people who think that German is originally descended from Latin, so.

Icelanders tend to have a better grounding in linguistics in general due to their own language.
Reply 34
I learn Swedish and Icelandic! They're both ace!
Reply 35
bennyboy33320789

the pronunciation is most different to the spelling (from the point of view of an English speaker).

I can vouch for that. A large amount of natives have problems with spelling and grammar throughout their lives. The spelling has its own kind of logic, which makes it all the more interesting.

Whichever you choose, enjoy the soft D's - Rødgrød med flø-ergh couldn't do it to ya.
Reply 36
Alexander8
I learn Swedish and Icelandic! They're both ace!

Oi! Stop stealing my life. Back to your own with ye!
Finnish!

:yes:
Reply 38
Hylean
Oi! Stop stealing my life. Back to your own with ye!

If you didn't have such long hair we could be friends :P! I would say I share very similar interests.
Reply 39
Alexander8
If you didn't have such long hair we could be friends :P! I would say I share very similar interests.

Get thee hence, vile daemon of the abyss! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending