The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jedi4
Thanks for that the closing date is April 30th, so I've still got time.Leeds is local too.

It's good that they have clearly stated we are investing 10mil=101 scholarships, whereas Sheffield said on their homepage and made a big deal saying we've invested '5.5' million for PhDs students, so probably under 50 students, or less if they've put money into existing PhDs individual departments want to do.

What subject are you into? I'd get in touch with potential supervisors asap :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by redferry
What subject are you into? I'd get in touch with potential supervisors asap :smile:

Thanks, I'm pulling an all nighter today will research all the research groups and send out some emails.

I PM'ed you a long email about my background and what I did at Sheff.

Thanks for the Leeds link, I thought all funding ceased Feb 3rd.
Original post by Jedi4
Thanks, I'm pulling an all nighter today will research all the research groups and send out some emails.

I PM'ed you a long email about my background and what I did at Sheff.

Thanks for the Leeds link, I thought all funding ceased Feb 3rd.

They emailed me with the funding after they turned me down so now I just want to spread the word :smile:
Reply 383
I have applied at Leeds too... no reply back yet. Also applied to sheffield on an advertised project.... and i am waiting.

Do you know if there is a guide on how to do proposals on forum?

I have also noticed that not a lot of studentships are around for EU grads. Hopefully there will be new ones in May with funding... otherwise if i dont get any offer from those i ve applied for... i m screwed.

Red ferry, what do you mean they offered you a place after they turned you down? please provide some tips to some desperately passionate phd wannabes please... :biggrin: haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mcr2288
I have applied at Leeds too... no reply back yet. Also applied to sheffield on an advertised project.... and i am waiting.

Do you know if there is a guide on how to do proposals on forum?

I have also noticed that not a lot of studentships are around for EU grads. Hopefully there will be new ones in May with funding... otherwise if i dont get any offer from those i ve applied for... i m screwed.

Red ferry, what do you mean they offered you a place after they turned you down? please provide some tips to some desperately passionate phd wannabes please... :biggrin: haha

Did you apply for a particular studentship at Leeds? Which funding was it?

So with Leeds I got an interview, was put on the reserves list. Then I got offered a place in London. Then all the people offered the PhDs at Leeds dropped out but by that time I had accepted my London place.

I haven't got any advice other than keep on applying and apply to the Unis with the most places going!
Reply 385
Did you apply for a particular studentship at Leeds? Which funding was it?

So with Leeds I got an interview, was put on the reserves list. Then I got offered a place in London. Then all the people offered the PhDs at Leeds dropped out but by that time I had accepted my London place.

I haven't got any advice other than keep on applying and apply to the Unis with the most places going!

It was the general funding from the university for Biological Sciences... on the January deadline...

thats what i do... even though sometimes i send emails to ask if they have funding available.. today i got an email from Bristol saying that they do not have funding and anything available will be on jobs.ac.uk.

I will keep applying anyway though... thanks :smile:
Original post by mcr2288
It was the general funding from the university for Biological Sciences... on the January deadline...

thats what i do... even though sometimes i send emails to ask if they have funding available.. today i got an email from Bristol saying that they do not have funding and anything available will be on jobs.ac.uk.

I will keep applying anyway though... thanks :smile:

What do you mean by general funding? I wasn't aware there was any general funding in January, just the NERC studentships in Biological Sciences...
Reply 387
I am not sure exactly what was it... by general funding i mean they were advertising studentships so I applied but I didn't have a specific supervisor. Are you in biology as well?
Original post by mcr2288
I am not sure exactly what was it... by general funding i mean they were advertising studentships so I applied but I didn't have a specific supervisor. Are you in biology as well?

Yeah the ones I applied to at Leeds were these: http://www.nercdtp.leeds.ac.uk/

I don't understand how you can apply without a supervisor :s-smilie: did you not have a title? or did you propose your own?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 389
Ah, no mines were not DTPs.

No, in my cover letter I mentioned my research interests only.
Original post by mcr2288
Ah, no mines were not DTPs.

No, in my cover letter I mentioned my research interests only.

This may be where you were going wrong! For internal funding you need to contact supervisors and submit a proposal if you aren't applying for a named title. General applications are usually thrown out.
Reply 391
All of what I applied, were advertised projects, where i contacted the supervisors... the only general i did was in manchester... the one in leeds i contacted the supervisor which he never replied back, and i mentioned his name in the application... but it was under the funded studentships that leeds uni offered. I don't remember exactly what studentships those were... its been since january though for leeds..

now the next funded places are end of march... I don't know if there will be other ones end of may... probably... we ll see. :smile: fingers crossed
Original post by mcr2288
All of what I applied, were advertised projects, where i contacted the supervisors... the only general i did was in manchester... the one in leeds i contacted the supervisor which he never replied back, and i mentioned his name in the application... but it was under the funded studentships that leeds uni offered. I don't remember exactly what studentships those were... its been since january though for leeds..

now the next funded places are end of march... I don't know if there will be other ones end of may... probably... we ll see. :smile: fingers crossed

What area of biology was it in??? In Biology they were all NERC or white rose.
!y advice would be talk to all the supervisors you are applying for titles with beforehand. Talk to them about tpwhat the project involves and what they are looking for in a candidate. Mind you I didn't do that for the London one as it wasn't for a specific project. But I did get my chosen title at Leeds just not the funding. If supervisors don't reply, call them.

My other advice is to apply to the DTPs, especially the ones with the most places available because there's a better chance of you getting them. At leeds 36 people applied for the title I applied for, whereas for the London one 400 odd applied for 36 places. Its just better odds.
Funded places usually come up in January and May/June.
Reply 393
thanks for the advice redferry
I applied for a graduate teaching assistantship at the department and got shortlisted for the interviews! :smile: so excited, but also quite scared, as there's just one GTA and I have no idea how many applied/are interviewed.
I have to do a 5 minutes presentation on my research proposal, followed by a formal interview. the presentation is quite tricky, because my proposal has 1500 word, summarizing that in 5 minutes isn't easy. has anyone of you done such a presentation? Any suggestions?

I wanted to make the presentation more personal than the proposal, showing my enthusiasm for the topic and the reasons why I want to research it. In 5 minutes you can't go into detail anyway. It's mainly title, research questions, what I want to do, how and why. And it's a skype interview again, so I can't use power point :frown:
Original post by cyclomania
I applied for a graduate teaching assistantship at the department and got shortlisted for the interviews! :smile: so excited, but also quite scared, as there's just one GTA and I have no idea how many applied/are interviewed.
I have to do a 5 minutes presentation on my research proposal, followed by a formal interview. the presentation is quite tricky, because my proposal has 1500 word, summarizing that in 5 minutes isn't easy. has anyone of you done such a presentation? Any suggestions?

I wanted to make the presentation more personal than the proposal, showing my enthusiasm for the topic and the reasons why I want to research it. In 5 minutes you can't go into detail anyway. It's mainly title, research questions, what I want to do, how and why. And it's a skype interview again, so I can't use power point :frown:

You can use Power point... Send them your presentation in advance, and tell them when you move from one slide to the next. Although a five minute presentation is perhaps two or three slides, max.

And a hot tip: say something about the research methods you would use. And make sure that 'something' is both short and good.

Remember that one of the main points of the presentation is to demonstrate that you would be good at teaching, so emphasise making points clearly rather than cramming it full of content. All the stuff about your personal enthusiasm can be communicated in the interview.
Original post by Voyager_2002
You can use Power point... Send them your presentation in advance, and tell them when you move from one slide to the next. Although a five minute presentation is perhaps two or three slides, max.

And a hot tip: say something about the research methods you would use. And make sure that 'something' is both short and good.

Remember that one of the main points of the presentation is to demonstrate that you would be good at teaching, so emphasise making points clearly rather than cramming it full of content. All the stuff about your personal enthusiasm can be communicated in the interview.

Thanks for the tip. Really helped. :smile: I revised my presentation and tried to be clear and not to pack in to much information.
About Power Ponit: They told me, that I can only send them a handout. That's what I prepared. Think it will be fine, I was always good in presentations. But I still wish it was already over :wink:
Reply 397
My supervisor knows I can't self fund, I even put I am applying for funding on the main application. So 8 weeks after submitting my proposal I received an 'unconditional offer' and was told funding outcomes will be realsed soon. I didn't even have an interview, which is normally mandatory, it may be because I've been supervised by the supervisor for my Masters.

Funding decisions are made in April/May I thought? Do you think I've been short listed for internal funding?
Original post by Jedi4
My supervisor knows I can't self fund, I even put I am applying for funding on the main application. So 8 weeks after submitting my proposal I received an 'unconditional offer' and was told funding outcomes will be realsed soon. I didn't even have an interview, which is normally mandatory, it may be because I've been supervised by the supervisor for my Masters.

Funding decisions are made in April/May I thought? Do you think I've been short listed for internal funding?

I'd just call them and ass because if you haven't you are going to have to start applying for grants now.
Reply 399
I'd just call them and ass because if you haven't you are going to have to start applying for grants now.

The response is I will hear back soon probably by the end of the month.

I've applied to the AHRC, EHRC etc. Anything that was available I applied to for funding.

By grants do you mean "alternative funding' like the alternative guide to funding? I can self fund just short of a couple of grand. So I'll probably try that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending