The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
Sarky & I work for the same trust.

If, hypothetically, I were to get upduffed while still living in my current place, it would be a toss up between there and Lewisham (but ONLY if Lewisham still had a full labour ward with anaesthetists and obstetricians, none of this midwife-led home-from-home rubbish) Choice of who do I want to see my bits - my old gynae bosses or my current anaesthetic ones? :s: But I would have no qualms about delivering there, and it's a nice view from the Birth Centre!

Reminds me of my first night on labour ward as a student. Asked the couple very nicely and they both said yes they were happy for me to observe. Then I find out that the husband was a graduate of the same medical school and did his labour shift on the same ward! We're getting along great for a half hour or so, he's telling me all sorts of stories, telling me how difficult it is to get our deliveries done and he's sharing his mcdonalds with me :biggrin: I pop out to get her a cup of water only to be told by the midwife that I wasn't allowed back in because the mother-to-be was an SpR of some kind in the hospital and felt really uncomfortable about the whole thing but felt really bad about telling me when I was in the room. My only rejection in O+G! But totally understandable.
Hey everyone, hope all is well.

Glad to hear some of us a getting on well with jobs: congratulations. Hope things will work out for everyone unlucky enough to be a bit up in the air at present - I'm sure I'll be there with you in a years plus time and eventually we'll all be fine.

I feel like my FY1 year is going pretty fast. I have finished 4 months of surgery and 2 months of acute medical receiving and nights and I feel like I've found a groove and a bit of momentum. I can honestly say that I have mostly enjoyed it though when it has been bad it has been atrocious: lots of new heros in my life, every med reg, and unfortunately some villains: the not so hard working SHO and the ward sister from hell.

All in all things are looking up. :cool:

TLP
Reply 1982
Original post by fishfacesimpson
Then I find out that the husband was a graduate of the same medical school and did his labour shift on the same ward! We're getting along great for a half hour or so, he's telling me all sorts of stories, telling me how difficult it is to get our deliveries done and he's sharing his mcdonalds with me :biggrin: ...

I'd feel uncomfortable with my partner bantering about with someone while I'm doing all the work - it's all about meeee, surely? :tongue: Though of course there won't be any talking as I'll be hypno-birth moo-ing while listening to whale music. :wink:

So - looking at MRCGP exam reports - no one from my medical school failed the theory or clinical in 2010-2011 sittings?! Maybe the resit fund will indeed morph into the holiday fund! :eek: Though it could be that they were all doing it for the 3rd attempt, I suppose... *Mental note - start revision.*
(edited 11 years ago)
Have just finished a 12 day stretch. For some reason this has hit me more than previous ones. I suspect that this is because I did nights the week before but am still shattered.

I really do love geriatrics, this is my second SHO job doing it, terrified at the prospect of my paeds job in 6 weeks :s-smilie:
Just about to start my 7th weekend working of the last 8..... :s-smilie:
Original post by Captain Crash
Just about to start my 7th weekend working of the last 8..... :s-smilie:

Ouch.... how is that possible? Have you had days off inbetween?
Reply 1986
7 days left of psychiatry :teeth:
Original post by randdom
Ouch.... how is that possible? Have you had days off inbetween?

I'm on A&E, so I do get days off midweek. Nevertheless, working more weekends than not throughout the whole rotation is chaffing slightly. And the consultants wonder why no-one wants to do A&E as a speciality.
Reply 1988
Original post by Hygeia
7 days left of psychiatry :teeth:

How did you find it? Any suggestions how we can make it better for any foundation doctors rotating through psychiatry?
Reply 1989
Original post by belis
How did you find it? Any suggestions how we can make it better for any foundation doctors rotating through psychiatry?

I've found it fairly challenging, especially going there after ICU which was a job I loved and suited me better. I guess the main issues I've had during the job would be related to the care of patients with physical health problems, getting the staff to do obs (at all sometimes) was difficult and they weren't able to interpret results so didn't know when to ask for help etc. Also things like having to deal with ulcers, how to dress them, how often etc which is something I've never had to get involved with at all on the wards because all the nurses do that (or tissue viability team), yet on psychiatry, it's my job that I have no experience in. Not having access to PACS, having to request things on paper etc that I'm used to requesting online were also a bit of a pain. Ongoing political issues on my current ward as well haven't helped the experience.

As to how to make it better, I really don't know how to answer that one. Psychiatry was not a job I ever particularly wanted to do and I've not enjoyed it much because of my personal preferences when it comes to specialties but I have managed to get things out of it despite this. The only real improvements I can think of would be specific to the ward I worked on rather than the rotation as a whole really.
Reply 1990
Original post by Helenia
I'm off for the next two weeks, after a baptism of fire on ICU nights - drinks? (Also open to anyone else who happens to be near London!)
I'm incompetent for the next two months so have no weekdays but most of my weekends free, but early starts and variable finishes make weekday drinkies challenging.
Original post by Renal
I'm incompetent for the next two months so have no weekdays but most of my weekends free, but early starts and variable finishes make weekday drinkies challenging.

Gah - I'm on ICU now so weekends don't really exist for me! I'll send a message round at some point, probably after I get back from skiing.
Reply 1993

Why am I not suprised. :/ Every year there is some major problem with the recruitment process.
Who knows if I'll even be able to join this society page? Don't want to be a reserve :frown:
Reply 1995
Argh, a car mod show nearby with loud music banging all night is just what I need to sleep to before another 12h A&E shift... Murderous mode is onnnnn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If all goes right for me its 21 weeks and one day until foundation programme.
I have exactly 105 shifts left at one job which is 1050 hours and its 15 weeks and one day until I give my notice in, which is already written and dated. Not that im counting down or anything.
Reply 1997
What post-degree gap year job did you go for in the end, fairy spangles?

My current countdown is 6 weeks to go till (provisional) last day before the year off of paediatric very long case. :hoppy:
CMT is more oversubscribed (or rather less undersubscribed) than CST! What's the world coming to?
Reply 1999
There seem to be loads of CMT jobs in Wales - they're advertising up to 70 in round 2 already!

Latest

Trending

Trending