The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Crash

2 and 3) Nil, but since working with electronic prescribing, I can prescribe a complete drug chart in seconds compared to minutes that it used to take me on paper. I agree with paper drug charts, this would be a little difficult. Or, as often was the case on busy medical night shifts, the patient doesn't have or know their meds, so current meds are chased from the GP surgery in the morning by the AMU pharmacist.

They must have improved the e-prescribing since I last attempted it - I found the system incredibly unwieldy and most of the computers very clunky.
Original post by Helenia
They must have improved the e-prescribing since I last attempted it - I found the system incredibly unwieldy and most of the computers very clunky.

Having gone back to paper charts, I miss the e-prescribing. Tons of room for improvement, but the continuity across admission/current/discharge was brilliant. Could do TTO's in seconds in the middle of the ward round.
Just the idea that nobody can 'lose' an electronic drug chart and bleep me in the middle of the night to somehow magically write a new one... that fills me with a certain kind of optimism about e-prescribing. Still hasn't reached where I work.
I'd hope eprescribing would save us a whole lot of trouble/maths/drug errors in paediatrics but no sign of it at my trust yet.

Everyone got their placards ready for Wednesday?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Having gone back to paper charts, I miss the e-prescribing. Tons of room for improvement, but the continuity across admission/current/discharge was brilliant. Could do TTO's in seconds in the middle of the ward round.

...except when they came to ICU, which already had a (much better, IMO) e-prescribing system but one that was too expensive for the whole trust or something, so everything had to be transcribed onto that and then back again when they were discharged!
Original post by Helenia

This wasn't at OUH - that's quite possibly the worst eprescribing system I've seen and my comments are reflective of it. The system in Manchester was much intuitive. It even looked like a drug chart!
Original post by Captain Crash
This wasn't at OUH - that's quite possibly the worst eprescribing system I've seen and my comments are reflective of it. The system in Manchester was much intuitive. It even looked like a drug chart!

I'm amazed you can make bad e-prescribing software. I'm awful with computers but pretty sure I could get a spreadsheet to do a reasonable job if I spent a few hours on it.

No doubt it cost about £10 million as well.
The e-prescribing in Newcastle is sick. I genuinely dread having to go back to kardexes now.
So much support from the public on the picket line this morning, feeling very proud indeed of junior doctors today :h:
Original post by Smile88egc
So much support from the public on the picket line this morning, feeling very proud indeed of junior doctors today :h:

Only had one person tell me that medicine was a vocation not a job and therefore we should stop moaning and get back to work!
Got grilled by a BBC reporter. Haven't seen it online yet, I hope I don't look too stupid!

We were really well-supported today by patients and consultants. So many people brought food, when we packed up the picket line we had to redistribute it around all the on-call people working today!
I'm just waiting to hear the next statement from the BMA about a second ballot for further industrial action. I can't see how it can progress in any other direction which is so sad.
I'm going to have to start picking up some locums soon to afford all of these strikes!

I think there's more that could be done to raise awareness amongst medical students about what's going to happen to them, I don't seem them at all on the pickets.
I'm just waiting to hear the next statement from the BMA about a second ballot for further industrial action. I can't see how it can progress in any other direction which is so sad.
I'm going to have to start picking up some locums soon to afford all of these strikes!

I think there's more that could be done to raise awareness amongst medical students about what's going to happen to them, I don't seem them at all on the pickets.

There are loads of medical students around ours. Most of the ones in the last few years that I know are furious.

Do we need a second ballot? My understanding was that once we'd started, we can carry on indefinitely.
Hi all, I'm a second year medical student and I was on the picket lines today! Although there were not that many students, the overall support we had was amazing! The junior doctors/nurses/other healthcare professionals were really welcoming + just incredible! Also the public where we were were so engaged- they brought food, helped leaflet commuters, made tea and coffee rounds! Positive, supportive feelings from them on whole, and the ones who seemed on the fence were more supportive after speaking with us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crazylemon
Nope. Next ballot will be on the contract if there is one.

Doesn't sound like anyone is getting much choice on it atm. I hear rumours of imposition tomorrow.

Now, how does one go about getting a job in the 'real world'?
Anybody know if the imposed contract will still include the pay protection Hunt promised to stop our salaries nose diving immediately?

I feel pretty despondent, I'm still in F1 and I don't see how I could avoid doing F2 unless I wanted to never come back to medicine ever. So I feel like I've no real ammunition to stand up for myself on this.
Well, I'm out.
If i wasn't at the stage I am at now i would be looking at alternatives.

Sad day
Original post by seaholme
Anybody know if the imposed contract will still include the pay protection Hunt promised to stop our salaries nose diving immediately?

I feel pretty despondent, I'm still in F1 and I don't see how I could avoid doing F2 unless I wanted to never come back to medicine ever. So I feel like I've no real ammunition to stand up for myself on this.

Pay protection only ever applied to your current post in that calculator. So if you went from F1 to F2 the increase would always be high enough to not warrant any transitional protection.

Also, why are you thinking your salary is going to nosedive? Are you on 50% banded posts throughout the year?

The people who will really have their pay nosedive are those who did PhDs as registrars, they're getting a really tough package.

Latest

Trending

Trending