The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danzig
Hey guys, i'm contemplating sitting my MRCP part 2 in March (during my F3 year). The pass rates over the past few sittings for part 2 have been significantly higher than for the part 1, and so I was wondering what people attribute this to? Is the improvement in pass rate explainable by the fact that the cohort are simply more MCQ savvy by this point, or is the exam genuinely slightly easier in its content? Like to hear anyone's thoughts x

I did it in FY2 and my mark was much better than part 1. I think it is genuinely easier, but obviously the cohort being self-selecting is also relevant.

The earlier you do part 2 the higher the pass rate is.
Original post by danzig
Hey guys, i'm contemplating sitting my MRCP part 2 in March (during my F3 year). The pass rates over the past few sittings for part 2 have been significantly higher than for the part 1, and so I was wondering what people attribute this to? Is the improvement in pass rate explainable by the fact that the cohort are simply more MCQ savvy by this point, or is the exam genuinely slightly easier in its content? Like to hear anyone's thoughts x

Probs cos you have to have passed part 1 before you can do part 2.
Original post by Friar Chris
Having just done the Part 2 Written, I would say a few factors would contribute to the skew in results:

1. If you haven't developed good exam technique and aren't prepared for MRCP questions in general, you have a good chance of failing Part 1 anyway. The population sitting Part 2 by definition have to have passed Part 1 so there is that difference in demographic that contributes.

2. The questions in Part 2 are more clinically orientated and you're more likely to perform well based on accrued clinical experience and real-life medical knowledge as opposed to the much purer theoretical and scientific knowledge base required for Part 1.

3. If you've recently passed Part 1, you're very likely to still have a lot of that raw information well established in your head; though Part 2 is more clinical and diagnostic, there is significant overlap in terms of the underpinning knowledge. I think candidates build on top of the previous examination revision as opposed to starting from scratch.

4. Some people who aren't committed to doing MRCP(UK) or a medical specialty will sit Part 1 Written but go no further, more of these people are likely to fail relative to the people who commit to doing Part 2

5. I'm fairly sure the Royal Colleges have the score scaling set up with the intention that more people should fail Part 1; this is purely speculation (though I know various consultant colleagues involved to lesser or greater degrees in the RCP who think the same) but I think it's probably intended as a hurdle to filter out candidates in a front-loaded manner.

I'm not convinced the questions are easier (in fact they're still very hard) but they tend to be more clinically orientated as identifying a diagnosis, how you'd investigate or treat something, what the prognosis of something is, what the most likely underlying aetiology is et cetera. If you've been doing medical specialties for a while and are quite experienced (and enthusiastic beyond 9-5 grinding) it can feel easier than Part 1 as a result. There's no reason you couldn't do this in an 'FY3' year but depending on the level of experience you've had so far in what types of departments and what amount of responsibility, it could be quite challenging to approach compared to the sheer knowledge requirements of Part 1 which are best learnt by learning and MCQs.

Since I didn't gloat earlier, I got 724 in my Part 2W :ninja: :woo:

Congrats on passing your exam! Thanks, that's a really detailed answer and pretty much supports what I suspected. I just feel a bit let down looking at the question banks and mock exam - the content doesn't seem substantially different to the part 1, and I potentially could've saved myself a heck of a lot of revision time if I just powered through and did the part 2 straight after part 1 (rather than waiting 6 or so months). I feel like i've just doubled my revision time unnecessarily, having to start from what feels like scratch.
Original post by danzig
Congrats on passing your exam! Thanks, that's a really detailed answer and pretty much supports what I suspected. I just feel a bit let down looking at the question banks and mock exam - the content doesn't seem substantially different to the part 1, and I potentially could've saved myself a heck of a lot of revision time if I just powered through and did the part 2 straight after part 1 (rather than waiting 6 or so months). I feel like i've just doubled my revision time unnecessarily, having to start from what feels like scratch.

Yeah the exams were more similar than I had anticipated. I think doing Part 2 straight after Part 1 is probably the best approach.
On the topic of FY3, I've always wanted to do a postgraduate creative writing degree and was thinking of doing a 2-year one after FY2. This isn't necessarily 'productive' in terms of clinical medicine so do you think it's still an acceptable option? I guess I could try to do some research alongside and I should have time to do some locum work in my specialty choice in my FY4. But honestly I just want to do something creative for a bit before I buckle down for speciality training?

Secondly, does anyone here have dogs? I have never had a dog before but supremely keen to as soon as I am able to ensure I am ready for one - but just not sure at what point I could start thinking seriously about it, given the work schedule/moving about of being a junior doctor etc. Keen to hear experiences/advice!
Don't get a dog if you're going to be working clinically full time in the dogs lifetime and don't have someone else at home to help look after it.

Don't see a problem with taking non clinical stuff in years after F2 but don't think you can really refer to them as F3/F4 which imply some progression if you aren't doing any significant clinical work.
I would have thought a creative writing degree would take less than 24 hours a week contact time so you could still take on a trust grade SHO position part time to keep up your clinical skills and help finance your degree.
Original post by Anonymous
On the topic of FY3, I've always wanted to do a postgraduate creative writing degree and was thinking of doing a 2-year one after FY2. This isn't necessarily 'productive' in terms of clinical medicine so do you think it's still an acceptable option?

As I've mentioned on here before, I did an FY3 and did next to no medicine at all and no one even asked anything about it. Two years is more significant but honestly I don't think you'll have a problem.

My main questions re: a 2 year absence for a degree is how are you going to fund it. I had enough saved from FY years for a year without working, maybe even two at a push, but certainly not with degree fees thrown in as well!

You could definitely do sporadic locums if you wanted.

Secondly, does anyone here have dogs? I have never had a dog before but supremely keen to as soon as I am able to ensure I am ready for one - but just not sure at what point I could start thinking seriously about it, given the work schedule/moving about of being a junior doctor etc. Keen to hear experiences/advice!

I always just found landlords would flatly refuse all pets and have only got one now that I have a house. A cat though - a dog is a lot of work.

Original post by Smile88egc
Don't see a problem with taking non clinical stuff in years after F2 but don't think you can really refer to them as F3/F4 which imply some progression if you aren't doing any significant clinical work.

'F3' seems to mean different things to different people and I think it may be regional? For me and everyone I knew in med school 'F3' was a joke term meaning a year away from medicine, perhaps doing a couple of months work at most, most likely in Australia or similar. But when I had contact with grads from different areas we'd run into confusion because for them an 'F3' meant actually still working full time, possibly with the specific aim of CV building. Was a bit of a surprise!

You've now taken it one step further and are implying it actually denotes seniority! Definitely not a meaning I've heard before!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
My main questions re: a 2 year absence for a degree is how are you going to fund it. I had enough saved from FY years for a year without working, maybe even two at a push, but certainly not with degree fees thrown in as well!

Definitely valid question! So, strangely, a lot of postgraduate writing degrees in the USA are fully funded and can offer a small living stipend as well as tuition remission but obviously I wouldn't be able to work clinically in the USA. I'd also have to rely on scholarships in the UK and in both countries work towards saving during FY1/2.

'F3' seems to mean different things to different people and I think it may be regional? For me and everyone I knew in med school 'F3' was a joke term meaning a year away from medicine, perhaps doing a couple of months work at most, most likely in Australia or similar. But when I had contact with grads from different areas we'd run into confusion because for them an 'F3' meant actually still working full time, possibly with the specific aim of CV building. Was a bit of a surprise!

Interesting! In Scotland everyone I know just uses the term to denote 'a year's break' whether it be a combination of locum, travel or further study.

Don't get a dog if you're going to be working clinically full time in the dogs lifetime and don't have someone else at home to help look after it.

Sigh, I guess I'll just have to get some goldfish :cry:.
Original post by nexttime

You've now taken it one step further and are implying it actually denotes seniority! Definitely not a meaning I've heard before!

I've noticed this too... I always assumed it was just a year out of medicine, but I've had a few people introduce themselves to me recently as 'the F3 Clinical Fellow', and when I mentioned to my supervisor that I'd be taking a year out of training next year it was automatically assumed that I would be doing it for the purposes of a clinical fellowship as well. Didn't even ask what else I might be considering other than coming back to do more work! So weird.
Original post by seaholme
...and when I mentioned to my supervisor that I'd be taking a year out of training next year it was automatically assumed that I would be doing it for the purposes of a clinical fellowship as well.

Yes this is the exact reaction I got - something like 'oh in what speciality?'

Erm... Hostelworld and Netflix?
I initially interpreted (in medical school) F3 to be a year abroad - but now just see the term as anything that is not a formal training post after F2 - be it in employment or not (i.e., non-core / ST1 / ACF1 jobs + travelling / research / PG quals). As the GMC and HEE note, there is no formal definition of an F3 year, so it can be used in any way people see fit. A search on NHS jobs reveals 'F3' jobs to cover a super wide range of trust-grade SHO posts for service provision, all the way to specifically designed portfolio boosters (probs to entice people to do the 75% service provision) to formal clinical fellow posts...
I think that is more my annoyance that there is a lack of understanding of the term "trust grade doctor". The foundation programme is series of training posts and so to me to label other activities post F2 as "F3/F4" implies some training/progression when often this is not the case and people do use it colloquially to communicate how many years post F2 there are.
As others have commented the term F4 is diffuse and doesn't tell you whether someone has sat on their ass for 2 years or done 2 years of trust grade jobs with the clinical experience approaching that of a middle grade so I think it's pretty pointless way of communicating career stage although I completely get that "F4" is much snappier than "doctor 2 years post foundation programme undertaking a creating writing degree not currently undertaking clinical work"
The foundation programme is series of training posts and so to me to label other activities post F2 as "F3/F4" implies some training/progression when often this is not the case.

I think the truth of that statement is highly debatable.
Original post by Anonymous
My interpretation of that (which may also be incorrect) is that it would not include turning down an offer of a post. That would be referring to someone who accepted an offer, and then withdrew from the training programme once they'd already started.

i'd agree with that - especially if you flunked or flounced
Original post by appleboy786
anyone know if its true that if you dont take all your annual leave entitlement you can get paid for the extra days that you worked?

only if the employer cannot allow you to take them , not if you didn't take reasonable steps to take your leave
And another changeover day rolls around...

Honestly cannot wait to see the back of this job. Have had more problems on it than I could ever have imagined. Suffice it to say I have definitely concluded psychiatry is NOT for me.

That said although I've been looking forward to A&E all year, now that it's upon me I'm kind of scared. The rota is brutal, the hours unsociable, I don't know how to suture, I haven't really done any medicine in 4 months, and in my hospital I could be the most senior person in the department overnight (supported by NPs).

Any advice anyone?
Original post by Ghotay

Honestly cannot wait to see the back of this job. Have had more problems on it than I could ever have imagined. Suffice it to say I have definitely concluded psychiatry is NOT for me.

That said although I've been looking forward to A&E all year, now that it's upon me I'm kind of scared. The rota is brutal, the hours unsociable, I don't know how to suture, I haven't really done any medicine in 4 months, and in my hospital I could be the most senior person in the department overnight (supported by NPs).

Any advice anyone?

Suturing in A+E - what is the policy of the dept ?

in a past life when I was an A+E nurse junior doctors had to actively choose to involve themselves with suturing but that was because the dept actively encouraged RNs to get the skill and maintain it and supported those who wanted to progress to ENP etc to do some of the more complex stuff ( we also didn;t have max fax or plastics on site so (once competent)did suture faces and hands that other places might have been referred on for it only to be have been seen and stitched by a SHO or junior reg )

a junior doctor would survive their entire job without actualyl havign to put a stitch in wounds wise ...

just document thair assessment and plan ' clean and close' ( but that was with a lead consultant who made the standard for sututring by RNs closer to what ENPs were doing elsewhere )

most senior person i nthe dept overnight - can sound scary - and also depends on your nurses ( if there are plenty of Nurses with TNCC/NTACC etc who are happy to assess, to do stuff and act as anaesthetic assistant etc )

, often seniors will come in for complex cases and also what;s the anaesthetics / ITU cover like as even if you don;t have a trauma team a core trainee or 'full' Reg anaesthestist ( and their boss) are also at hand as well as an ODP/ Anaesthetic assistant RN (ditto med reg / cardiology)
Original post by Ghotay

Any advice anyone?

I'm just completing my first four months in A&E - before this I'd done a FY2 pathology job i.e. I hadn't really seen any patients at all (lol).

I think everyone worries about it before starting, but I think you will find yourself settling into it quicker than you think - if for no other reason, simply because of how busy you'll be. It helps to be familiar with differentials for common presentations, but an important part of becoming efficient is getting to know your hospitals protocols for certain conditions, especially ones which present out-of-hours e.g. renal colic, DVT, neuro, ophth, etc. I think in many hospitals, much of this is dealt with in ambulatory clinics so these patients can actually be seen and discharged reasonably quickly and you will soon learn what plan you have to put in place until they can be seen.

Making appropriate referrals is again something important, which you'll pick up as you go along. I find it helpful to try and think of my initial plan before leaving the patient's cubicle, and while I'm seeing them to mentally sort them into "aim home, observe elsewhere, refer".

The four hour target can be stressful, especially if you've picked someone up at 3:45. Some seniors are far more obsessive about it than others and at around 3:30 you'll probably start being asked "what's going on?" by various stressed people. Your hospital may have observation wards or areas to keep patients while they're awaiting results so that they don't breach. It's easier said than done, but try not to let the threat of a breach compromise the standard of your care.

I wouldn't worry too much about the practical part of it - I'd also never done any proper suturing before starting. Since then I've done suturing, fascia iliaca blocks, closed reduction, relocation of dislocations, paronychia drainage, etc. It's certainly a good place to learn a lot and get ePortfolio things signed off. Just make sure you have appropriate supervision if you're not confident doing something, and go from there.

Some random things:

1) Same rules as with any sick patient: ABCDE - consider neck/C-spine under A.

2) HCAs/nurses will regularly give you random patient's ECGs or gas printouts to look at. If there isn't anything concerning going on, they just want a signature. If something is wildly deranged, have a quick look at the patient or let someone else know if you're very busy. If you're unsure about an ECG and there's no previous, ask for it to be repeated in 30 mins.

3) Have a good look at the obs before considering whether someone can be discharged.

4) Analgesia is easy to forget, so it's worth asking about before leaving the cubicle.

5) Useful resources: patient.info, LITFL, Toxbase, Radiopaedia, BestBETs.

6) Your A&E might have access to a dedicated OT/PT team - they can be very helpful in speeding up the discharge process and sorting through some of the social stuff.

7) CT head appears to be the new CXR in the elderly. You will be requesting it a lot, so have a quick look at the guidance.

8) Sometimes patients get sent to the wrong areas because it's not intially obvious how unwell they are. If you're worried about someone, they can be moved to majors or resus as appropriate. Remember to talk to a senior first.

9) Much of the time it's just quicker to dip the urine/cannulate/do a gas yourself rather than wait for someone else to do it.

10) Finally, being open 24/7 and the front door of the hospital means that a lot of random people come in with random problems which are not an A&E issue. With time, you will get better at figuring out what's chronic and what's acute, what can be followed up in the community vs at hospital, and what's just plain crazy.

Obviously remember to have something to eat and drink during your shift. The rota is draining and you will probably feel quite tired compared with psych, but it's a very good learning experience on the whole.
Original post by Ghotay
and in my hospital I could be the most senior person in the department overnight (supported by NPs).

Any advice anyone?

Are you sure about this? What grade are you?
Original post by Ghotay

Any advice anyone?

I did my whole A&E job without suturing. I put staples in somebody's scalp wound once. Nobody senior would ever agree to supervise me doing it, they were always too busy! Also most of the lacerations were to the face where TBH for cosmetic reasons we always used to call Maxfax. To be honest I didn't learn a single practical procedure in A&E except the art of taking arterial bloods, because we only had the standard *bleeping* massive needle available no matter how old and frail your veins were.

If the F2 is the most senior person in the department that is quite worrying!!
Does the new rotation anxiety ever go away? I'm an SHO now and despite it, everytime I rotate onto a new specialty I feel so anxious I can barely keep it together (will I cope? how will I ever get so many assessments done?).
It always works out and by the end of the 4 months I realise how silly it was for me to feel that way.. and yet it still happens.. Am I alone in feeling this??

Latest

Trending

Trending