The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghotay

It wasn't all terrible, obviously I'm only going over the bad bits, nevertheless the overall experience of the job was definitely a negative one. Of the 4 trainees, 2 of us definitely hated it, 1 I don't actually know if she enjoyed it or not, although I suspect not, and 1 really enjoyed it and ended up putting psychiatry as her second option on speciality applications having never considered it before. I think she enjoyed the slow pace because she struggles with stress, so it perhaps suited her personality. It made me want to chew the walls

Thanks' for that. It's helpful to know the potential pitfalls. I would expect my trainee to spend a lot of time on the ward getting to know the kids and building therapeutic relationships. I probably will need to spend time explaining why this is required to minimise resentment for being made to play Bananagrams and Monopoly. The glacial pace may well be an issue as the average length of stay is around 12 months.

Was there anything that you wish you could have done to make this rotation more useful?

On another note, I feel seriously cheated to know that there is a ward somewhere with four trainees on it and people going bored with little to do as I don't have any junior support at the moment.
Original post by belis
Thanks' for that. It's helpful to know the potential pitfalls. I would expect my trainee to spend a lot of time on the ward getting to know the kids and building therapeutic relationships. I probably will need to spend time explaining why this is required to minimise resentment for being made to play Bananagrams and Monopoly. The glacial pace may well be an issue as the average length of stay is around 12 months.

Was there anything that you wish you could have done to make this rotation more useful?

On another note, I feel seriously cheated to know that there is a ward somewhere with four trainees on it and people going bored with little to do as I don't have any junior support at the moment.

Honestly I would have loved playing boardgames with kids and teenagers!

Yeah I think the main thing is to clearly explain what your trainees specific roles and responsibilities are at the beginning. I felt like I was constantly juggling home visits, clinic patients, ward work, liason on-calls, 'chatting'. It wasn't that there was too much work to handle, just that no matter what I prioritised I felt like I made everyone unhappy, and I got a lot of 'you haven't been doing this' 4 weeks in sort of thing. Just don't be a crap supervisor and it'll be alright!

And don't be too jealous. The reason we had extra trainees is because our paeds and O&G depts got shut down for being unsafe so people who were meant to rotate there got dumped in psych. Not ideal all round.
Anyone worked in Barnet? I have to go there for PACES as it transpires! :lol:
Trying to do some of the BMJ Learning online modules. I am a BMA member and have given them my BMA number, but it seems like I only have access to about 2% of them. Most of them say 'your subscription does not include access to this module'. Is this correct, or should I be able to access most of them?
I saw that, but then they also said that ‘some’ modules require additional subscriptions, and I thought it a bit odd that I can access a few, so wondered if they were pulling a sly one. That’s why I wanted to confirm what access other people have
Original post by Ghotay
I saw that, but then they also said that ‘some’ modules require additional subscriptions, and I thought it a bit odd that I can access a few, so wondered if they were pulling a sly one. That’s why I wanted to confirm what access other people have

I have full access. Do you reckon you still have a medical student account?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I have full access. Do you reckon you still have a medical student account?

I never accessed it as a student so probably not. Thatnks for letting me know though, I have emailed them
Hi guys,

Can I ask, I'm planning on writing up a case report at present. From a technical/practical point of view, how does one go about inserting eg endoscopic photos and histological slides into the document?

Would the images need to be scanned onto a Trust computer account, then inserted into the Word document from the Trust account?

thanks.
Those images will be stored electronically in those departments Probably they'll have their own IT software for that or they'll have a way of archiving it. So canspeak to the relevant departments to get them. Best to get them as high resolution images as some journals get picky about this.
Original post by Ghotay
Just don't be a crap supervisor and it'll be alright!

I may print that out and add it to the board of motivational quotes in my office. :smile: Sums it up much better than any training NHSE has sent me on so far.
Do different specialties send MSRA invitations at different times? The only dates I can find in a 30 mile radius are all 3rd-5th Jan. Are all the later dates gone? :confused:
Anyone reckon I could get orthotics through occie health? I have a pronating gait - wear trainers with a strong medial post in my day-to-day life, but can't get the same for my work-shoes. I end up getting a lot of tibialis anterior tendinopathies or plantar fasciitis as a result. Would be willing to go private - but would obvs prefer the support from work in the first instance!
1) I learned of an interesting approach to BiPaP today. Apparently in our hospital the 4 bed unit is nurse-run, including decisions to titrate pressures and stop it, based on sats-style colourimetry based CO2 monitoring. However, as well qualified as they are, they obviously can't do blood cannulas or blood gases so the doctors get given all the menial tasks by the nurses in an interesting role reversal!
2) Further to my post about our hospital having a large number of beds shut due to fire safety concerns, I'm glad to announce they've found an ingenious solution. Just leave all the patients lining the ED corridor and waiting rooms! There are literally patients sat in the waiting room with IV fluids etc. There was loads of space there just left unused, who knew!
Original post by nexttime
1) I learned of an interesting approach to BiPaP today. Apparently in our hospital the 4 bed unit is nurse-run, including decisions to titrate pressures and stop it, based on sats-style colourimetry based CO2 monitoring. However, as well qualified as they are, they obviously can't do blood cannulas or blood gases so the doctors get given all the menial tasks by the nurses in an interesting role reversal!

In my experience, doctors usually also have to do all those menial tasks anyway. Your system would, at least, cut the usual workload for the doctors. :tongue:
Original post by nexttime
2) Further to my post about our hospital having a large number of beds shut due to fire safety concerns, I'm glad to announce they've found an ingenious solution. Just leave all the patients lining the ED corridor and waiting rooms! There are literally patients sat in the waiting room with IV fluids etc. There was loads of space there just left unused, who knew!

I had a student placement where the nurses on the BiPAP bay were able to do ABGs, and worked with outreach teams where the nurses can do both, so it's not outside the realms of possibility!
Original post by Anonymous
I had a student placement where the nurses on the BiPAP bay were able to do ABGs, and worked with outreach teams where the nurses can do both, so it's not outside the realms of possibility!

Oops, this is me!
When I did Resp quite a lot of the nurses did ABGs, especially those who had trained in Europe. I remember this legendary Italian nurse who basically used to ring me in the middle of the night, tell me the patient's issues, the investigations she'd done, her plans based on those investigations and her suggestions for the morning when I handed over - was that alright with me? And she was never off the mark with any of it. It was honestly so impressive. The most awful thing was that nurse quit and I think went back to Italy because of Brexit-uncertainty related crap.
Original post by seaholme
When I did Resp quite a lot of the nurses did ABGs, especially those who had trained in Europe. I remember this legendary Italian nurse who basically used to ring me in the middle of the night, tell me the patient's issues, the investigations she'd done, her plans based on those investigations and her suggestions for the morning when I handed over - was that alright with me? And she was never off the mark with any of it. It was honestly so impressive. The most awful thing was that nurse quit and I think went back to Italy because of Brexit-uncertainty related crap.

Italian, Spanish and Philippines trained nurses are the best I've worked with imho. Seriouly underutilised at times.
Original post by Anonymous

Oh yeah - I mean everyone learns it at nursing school in Europe. I just find it interesting that they chose to teach the nurses how to manage critically unwell patients before they taught them the very basic and necessary skill of taking an ABG (or CBG)!
Earlobe blood gas is where its at surely?? Do any places use these acutely ? Presumably they're validated as I've been in clinics that use them regularly

Latest

Trending

Trending