The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wikipedia
There are also many allusions in characters' names to famous historical thinkers and writers, such as John Locke (after the philosopher) and his alias Jeremy Bentham (after the philosopher), Danielle Rousseau (after philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Desmond Hume (after philosopher David Hume), Juliet Burke (after philosopher Edmund Burke), Mikhail Bakunin (after the anarchist philosopher), Daniel Faraday (after physicist Michael Faraday), Eloise Hawking (after physicist Stephen Hawking), George Minkowski (after mathematician Hermann Minkowski), Richard Alpert (the birth name of spiritual teacher Ram Dass) and Charlotte Staples Lewis (after author C. S. Lewis)

I've never watched it, but reading that makes it sound insufferably pretentious.
That said, my younger brother watches it and says it's great, and I suppose it must be if it's so popular.
It could be lupus
Its based on philosophers? Really? Interesting, yet not my cup of tea. So long as they dont force any philosophy on me I will be happy. When to get time though to watch it??? Thats the hard question

The wonderful thing about TV programmes and literature is that they can often incorporate the issues into the storyline so even if it's clear it's the main theme of the episode, it's not like you're reading a textbook. Spoonful of sugar and all that lot.
Canned Door
The wonderful thing about TV programmes and literature is that they can often incorporate the issues into the storyline so even if it's clear it's the main theme of the episode, it's not like you're reading a textbook. Spoonful of sugar and all that lot.

That is very true. Sadloy though, I beleive sometimes there is no issues purposely put into the episode or book, and people try to read too much into the book/programme and find deeper meanings that were never there. Big example: Stairway to Heaven is a devil song backwards :rofl: Idiocy in my opinion!
Tyrotoxism
A = (1/2)absinC

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bccosA
It could be lupus
That is very true. Sadloy though, I beleive sometimes there is no issues purposely put into the episode or book, and people try to read too much into the book/programme and find deeper meanings that were never there. Big example: Stairway to Heaven is a devil song backwards :rofl: Idiocy in my opinion!

A few issues there. Just because something isn't intentionally incorporated, it doesn't mean it isn't there. There are all sorts of different approaches to literary analysis, but I'll leave that to someone like Fleur or Andy. You might be focussing more on what you get from the book rather than the historical context or the author's mindset or something, but as long as you are aware of which approach you're taking, I think they're all valid within analysis of these things, if justifiable.

Am I right in thinking that some people say something along the lines of: One book can be a different story for every individual reader because it's not just about what the author wrote, but also how the reader interprets and relates to it given their own experiences, character, and how they see it?

Also, some interpretations come in and out of fashion, so to speak. So when the thing is read may affect how it is viewed as well.

Lupus, You're right though, there are some things which some people come up with which seem very dubious. One of the things I found so frustrating with GCSE and AS Lit was not knowing how Lit beasties knew how much importance to place on a particular interpretation. Some get given none, some seem like they shouldn't get any, and some things, I think take a few more years of studying Lit to begin to have faith in.

It's a funny one. I think the Stairway to Heaven thing is just silly though.

edit: just a thought. I think it's very interesting how there are some places where Buffy is studied quite in-depth. This doesn't actually sound far-fetched to me. *prepares to be pelted with rotting tomatoes*
andyroo_g
Haven't (and probably won't until much later) read anything today.

:frown:

:console:

I've finished.

But, I do smell like deep fat fried hot chocolate.
I'm about to do something awful to you.

TVTropes Such a good website. About themes used within TV programmes etc. Very perceptive.

I've just got out of it and it took me 18 minutes. This is a massively restrained venture. And a record for me.

Melz0r
@Mel: "wir lieben uns - ich gab ihm Grund, daran zu glauben, was auch geschah" is towards the end of Ch22.
Canned Door
I'm about to do something awful to you.

TVTropes Such a good website. About themes used within TV programmes etc. Very perceptive.

I've just got out of it and it took me 18 minutes. This is a massively restrained venture. And a record for me.

This is brilliant stuff! :yes:
Did anyone watch University Challenge?
huladancingmunchkin

Doing so right now on iPlayer.
huladancingmunchkin

Watched last 10 minutes.
Fleurvert
Doing so right now on iPlayer.

My knowledge of Russian history (from A2 hist) has been useful two weeks running :woo:
Never thought I'd use it again after the exam...
Canned Door
A few issues there. Just because something isn't intentionally incorporated, it doesn't mean it isn't there. There are all sorts of different approaches to literary analysis, but I'll leave that to someone like Fleur or Andy. You might be focussing more on what you get from the book rather than the historical context or the author's mindset or something, but as long as you are aware of which approach you're taking, I think they're all valid within analysis of these things, if justifiable.

Am I right in thinking that some people say something along the lines of: One book can be a different story for every individual reader because it's not just about what the author wrote, but also how the reader interprets and relates to it given their own experiences, character, and how they see it?

Also, some interpretations come in and out of fashion, so to speak. So when the thing is read may affect how it is viewed as well.

Lupus, You're right though, there are some things which some people come up with which seem very dubious. One of the things I found so frustrating with GCSE and AS Lit was not knowing how Lit beasties knew how much importance to place on a particular interpretation. Some get given none, some seem like they shouldn't get any, and some things, I think take a few more years of studying Lit to begin to have faith in.

It's a funny one. I think the Stairway to Heaven thing is just silly though.

edit: just a thought. I think it's very interesting how there are some places where Buffy is studied quite in-depth. This doesn't actually sound far-fetched to me. *prepares to be pelted with rotting tomatoes*

Hmmm, as I have said before, I am more into reading books as enjoy the stories and somehow more obvious meanings out of the book, rather than ruin a well thought out storyline by going to in depth. Imagine going in depth to Harry Potter!(though already I can see quite easily a few things that could be flagged up)

This is why an arts subject is so hard, as everyone interprets things differently, even everyday life. This means people find meanings where others would find none and vice versa. I always was sceptical to these interpratations as how do you know what the author intended?

I think the Stairway to Heaven one is hilarious, and yet worrying that people could be bothered to go around checking songs backwards. Who has the time to do this??? :p:
It could be lupus

I always was sceptical to these interpratations as how do you know what the author intended?

The thing is, reading (or any form of art for that matter) is not a one way process , it involves an interaction between the work and the reader.
It could be lupus

I just discovered... that Hugh Laurie went to Cambridge!

I'm guessing you probably already knew that, but I only just found out so felt the need to share my discovery!
Fleurvert
The thing is, reading (or any form of art for that matter) is not a one way process , it involves an interaction between the work and the reader.

I was expecting chastisation, though you seem to have went easy for me. Its all due to my inadaquecy and scepticism, so I apoligise. (Really, I do!)

huladancingmunchkin
I just discovered... that Hugh Laurie went to Cambridge!

I'm guessing you probably already knew that, but I only just found out so felt the need to share my discovery!

:yep: Thats how Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are such good friends, as they went to Cambridge together. However I am not sure what he read.

Also he rowed for Cambridge
It could be lupus

:yep: Thats how Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are such good friends, as they went to Cambridge together. However I am not sure what he read.

Also he rowed for Cambridge

Yeh, my Mum said that he rowed for either Cambridge or Oxford so I decided to get on wikipedia & find out.
He studied archaeology & anthropology at Selwyn and got a 3rd.
huladancingmunchkin
Yeh, my Mum said that he rowed for either Cambridge or Oxford so I decided to get on wikipedia & find out.
He studied archaeology & anthropology at Selwyn and got a 3rd.

Ah right I thought it was Selwyn but wasn't sure what college. There are so many famous alumni of Cambridge it is ridiculous
It could be lupus
I think the Stairway to Heaven one is hilarious, and yet worrying that people could be bothered to go around checking songs backwards. Who has the time to do this??? :p:

Given that music generally isn't intended to be listened to backwards, I think it's a fairly good reason to call bull on that one :biggrin:?

Although actually, some music probably benefits from not being listened to in the original packaging. Insert least favourite musical genre here.

edit2: Awww @ the look on the medic's face when the illness name questions came up. I'd hate that pressure.
Reply 7659
Someone has given me some highly alliterative rep. Thank you.

PS nobody's on skype. Except natalie.

Latest

Trending

Trending